I've worn my first Vogue 9299 so much at least once a week! I love that tunic. It's appropriate to wear to the office and it works for at home zoom meetings too. So as with all good patterns, I've decided I need to make it a few more times.
The Fabric's Backstory ~
The fabric for this make is 9 years old. It was purchased in February 2012 and documented here. I use to buy a lot from Sawyer Brook but not so much anymore. This is deep stash fabric and there is another story associated with it.
Do you remember when my sewing cave flooded in June 2013? Well this fabric was laying in the bottom of a box on the floor. It and the other two pieces in the box were totally soaked. I quickly took them upstairs and put them in the washer & dryer. The piece made it back into the collection where it resided until I climbed the stairs to my Resource Center and plucked it from it's resting place to use for this garment.
Sewing Supplies ~
Pattern: Vogue 9299
3 yards of 60" wide border print linen from Sawyer Brook Fabrics - deep stash
9 - 7/8" tan buttons from deep in the button collection
Interfacing from Steinlauf and Stoller for collar and button fronts
Construction Techniques ~
What makes this version different from the first one is that I used a border print to highlight the fabric's uniqueness. So it was all about how I cut the pattern pieces out to showcase the border print. Now y'all know that's the thrill of using a border print, "how can I use it to set off the garment's properties?"
Cutting the front pattern pieces so that it ran down the front of the garment...
Then cutting the collar and undercollar out of pieces of the border
As well as making the sleeve hems highlight the border...going with my rule of three for a border print to really feature this pretty print.
I also changed the back pleat to gathers between the back yoke and bottom pieces. I wanted a slightly different look for this one.
Last thing I added one of my really old labels to the inside yoke because it matched the fabric so well.
A Few Pictures ~
I love this pattern and will probably make more! We took these pictures in 95F degree weather and this top was perfect. I didn't feel as if I was overheating or needed to change clothes. I'm sure it will be in my permanent rotation this summer.
This was the last piece in my cut pile so over the Independence Day weekend I will be cutting out summer dresses to sew. I'm using "new" to me patterns. Patterns I've purchased over the years and not sewn, will be getting their turn in the sun to shine.
Parting Shot ~
I added some things to the Sewing Room and finally feel like it's done!
Now to make the last few changes to the Resource Center and live in these rooms instead of continuing to update/change them.
...as always more later!