Friday, July 15, 2022

Simplicity 8658 Again

I will admit that I purchased this fabric as I was working on my last version of Simplicity 8658. I loved the pattern that much.  Also there were all these versions floating around in my mind in a variety of colors and yes, more border prints.  However, since my sewing is wayyyyy slower than my fabric shopping these days this means I'm just getting around to it.  Also some of the design elements of my original idea have changed.

Materials ~

A cotton double sided borderprint from FM - purchased the end of 2021


11" beige zipper from the notions collection

Design & Construction Details ~

I used this border print differently from the last one.  I wanted the body of the shirt to have a more solid appearance. I didn't want the border print to be the featured aspect. So I chopped into the border print a bit.

Using the floral print for the neckline and raglan sleeves and the striped portion as a band around the bottom of the top.



After playing around and getting the design I wanted, this sewed up quick. If I'm being honest, it was finished in May. It missed the last photo shoot because I get tired after shooting too many outfits...just tired of the process. However, my daughter & family are going on vacation and she won't be available again until the end of July/beginning of August. So I put on my big girl panties and had her take pictures of everything I have completed.

A Few Photos ~




I may make this again come fall...but it's shelved for now because I still have a bunch of summer dresses to sew! It's a very versatile pattern and I highly recommend it.

A Reminder ~

If you leave a comment as Anonymous, please sign your name at the end of it. I don't respond to comments that don't have any name attached to them.


...as always more later!



37 comments:

  1. That's worked out so beautifully, you are a master with the border prints! It looks really fresh and cool especially with your styling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just gorgeous Carolyn! I love how you've used this border print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, another gorgeous piece of fabric, and what a clever way you have used it. You are on a roll of wonderful pieces and I am loving it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - I love summer sewing so dreaming up pretty garments to sew is easy! Thanks for liking the top!

      Delete
  4. I bow to you, o queen of border prints!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always! I love how you use border prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, I would wear it right now. You always amaze me with your creations and great style. Ginny
    c.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny - I love, love, love border prints! You're just seeing an extension of that love!

      Delete
  7. This came out SO well - I think the ways you have showcased how to use border prints over the years really demonstrate how versatile they are. Cutting the stripe off to make a bottom border takes this design to the next level. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you've positioned the design on the sleeves and across the neckline, it has a lovely flow to it. It looks fantastic on you and I am now tempted to purchase that same pattern :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KimAnne - you should definitely purchase this pattern. It's one of those sleeper ones that hasn't been made alot but is so worth getting. I probably will make one or two more for fall/winter. I really want a denim version but haven't worked it out in my head yet.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful. Looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't normally comment on your page, but have to just tell you how much I enjoy your Blog and this top is wonderful! It's so happy and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful use of a border print fabric. Looks great - cool and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never can think of how to use border prints. This is a wonderful design, Carolyn. Really enjoy your posts and learn much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty shirt it looks good on you : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. We already know how creative you are with border prints but I think this might be a new level. This is adorable and looks great on you. Simple and elegant in the use of the border print. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful. You are so creative. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! It's unique and looks wonderful on you. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn - thanks and thanks for signing your name to your comment!

      Delete
  18. Your decisions on the border really show your hand of experience. The heavy line beautifully balances out the design at the top. Excellent, Carolyn. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny - thanks for the compliment. I guess I thought of it more simply. Cutting the border print apart and using both elements to frame the top and bottom of the top.

      Delete
    2. It definitely does! I just thought "good look," but then I tried to picture it without the stripe, and it was not as good. The extra effort really paid off.

      Delete
  19. Carolyn, I love all the different ways you use border prints; there are so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely approach to using a border print. Nice to have the color at your neckline, solid for the body. Great look! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very creative use of the border print! It’s a wonderful blouse.
    Nancy Karpen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful use of the print fabric! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Border print queen! I love it!! It is so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not sure if I've ever commented . . . this is a terrific top. I love it, and I hope that you get compliments every time you wear it.-- Jean

    ReplyDelete
  26. I swear I commented on this! You always know how to make a border print sing and this one is amazing! It looks like the perfect, comfy, cozy top but dressy too :) g

    ReplyDelete
  27. You work hard to hone your creativity and then share with us. I love borders too and this is fabulously inspirational. Thanks for going the whole 9 yards!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You always work hard to hone your creativity, to share with us and inspire. This top is fabulous especially on you. Thank you from a fellow border lover.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this so much!!!! I have this fabric in blue and might have to borrow this idea. I still have not used any of the border prints I've been collecting over the years. I just need to sit down and go through all your past blog entries to inspire myself to actually cut into one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You always work hard to hone your creativity, to share with us and inspire. This top is fabulous especially on you. Thank you from a fellow border lover

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails