Monday, July 18, 2022

The Replacement Three

My favorite summer dress is my TNT hacked to death version of the Deer & Doe Myosotis Dress. I've made over two dozen of these. I slowed down a bit in the last 2 years because I owned so many.  Well I'm retiring a few now and needed a couple to replace them. To me it is the most comfortable summer dress EVAH and I can't imagine dressing for summer without them. 

Construction Information ~ 

o I did enlarge the bodice pieces a couple of inches and I lowered the bust darts due to my widening yet aging body. 

o The sleeves were also widened to encompass my arm girth. 

o I deliberately used smaller buttons in these three.  One of the things I noticed in some older versions is that the buttonholes stretch out more with the bigger buttons. I want these to last even longer so that's why I switched.

o I also made sure to add a snap between the bodice and skirt seam to insure that the fronts won't separate when wearing. It's not a major deal but it annoys me so I will make sure to include one in future versions too. 

Here are my new ones ~

The Navy & White Floral Version

The main fabric is a rayon/linen from fabric dot com and is no longer available.  However, they do have it in a rose color that I may also own! The white accent linen is from JoAnns. The white buttons are from my button stash.





The Heart Version

The rayon/linen fabric is from Fabric Mart and is no longer available. The buttons were purchased from JoAnn's.





The Rivera Version

The cotton voile fabric is from Mood and is still available. The yellow buttons are from my button stash.




...and these are the ones I'm retiring. I've grown out of them and they will be donated.



Before & After because this one had already been altered once

I've also cut apart this one and altered another one. Those revisions will show up in future posts.

I have two more that I want to make this summer to round out the replacements. I will probably never retire this pattern...just make it as inspired going forward!

The sun is shining, the days are longer, it's warm outside but cool inside so my sewjo is back in residence. All this to say that there are more finished garments to share soon.


...as always more later!


19 comments:

  1. I could shop your fabric resource center so easily as I love all your fabric choices. And I will admit I have gone looking for my own pieces after seeing some of yours. Thank you again for continuing to blog. It is so nice when a new one from you pops up. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean - well you know how much I love fabric! And the blogging is just as much for my sake as it is for everyone else's.

      Delete
  2. Over two dozen?! Whoa! I hadn't realized there were that many versions because each one is so unique. The blue/white floral version is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L - thanks! That's the highest compliment not being able to recognize the pattern in each garment!

      Delete
  3. Your replacements are wonderful. You have really refined this design into a fabulous TNT. Can't go wrong here so keep 'em comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all are great, and the fabrics are dreamy. I just started another one of this pattern last night, you are so right it's very wearable and hackable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth - how cool! I'm making another one that uses your bodice changes because I really liked my two versions with those changes.

      Delete
  5. I almost never comment, only read, but I found a pattern alot like yours and so totally agree that there is no better way to get through summer without dresses like this. I've lived in jeans since high school and am 67 now. Anyway, your fabric choices and all look comfy and great on you. I haven't tried using a solid on ....YET....but now that I've seen your's it's next up. Like someone else above said, I'm happy your didn't totally give up blogging as you were thinking about. It's always good to see and hear from you! Elise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn--You have made the pattern into a very useful 'basic block', but these creations look anything but basic! Each is unique and has its own personality. Thanks for sharing.--Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you considered selling them? There's a lady on IG, Jo Hassler, who regularly sells of her old makes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurinda - I donate them and give some to one of my daughter's friends who is the same size I am. I like giving them away opposed to selling them.

      Delete
    2. That's awesome, & how lucky are they to get some of your beautiful projects!

      Delete
  8. These are all stunning! That blue print is just divine and the heart print looks so happy and artistic. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, every time I see another version of your myosotis dress I think "that's my favourite", then you show another and I think "THAT'S my favourite" - the truth is, I like them all! I particularly like the red heart one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love (!) this trio of dresses. I noticed that 2 of the 3 retiring dresses don't have the collar - I left the collar off on my favorite. I had forgotten about the striped version with the ruffle. I think my favorite is the blue and white floral, but it's very hard to choose with such beautiful dresses. g

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your replacement three. Such fun fabric prints.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red hearts version is one of my absolute favourite dresses, your Myosotis is the perfect showcase for the fabric, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carolyn, these are all fabulous, but I love the heart fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails