Saturday, September 07, 2024

A Nova with Short Sleeves

Originally I had an idea to make the Style Arc Nova but adding a "Bridgerton" slant to it.  I wanted a small piping at a deepened neckline with puffy short sleeves. As you can see below that DID NOT happen!

Instead I got a dress with a deeper neckline without binding and sleeves that were added but with much trial and tribulation.  See this was the first make after not having sewn in almost a full year. I was still finding my footing. I made a new pattern piece for the front adding to the shoulder width for the short sleeve. However, I DID NOT do the same to the back pieces.  Can we say drama?

I figured it out and got a sleeve on the dress but it's not a process I will share...because too messy and I would never do that again.  Also because IF I make this dress again, I would do it differently.

Here are the materials:

4 yards of a black floral & polka dot cotton lawn purchased in July from Mood Fabrics online

1 yard of 5/8" wide elastic

I made this dress during the July heatwave here on the East Coast. I wanted this to take with me to Chicago and luckily my daughter took some pictures while we were at Millenium Park. I have no construction information to share with this dress.  The tiers were sewn using the Style Arc instructions. It was just the bodice I deviated from the pattern. Good thing, it did work out so...

A Few Photos...




I loved the flow of this dress when seated.  
Probably why there's 2 photos of it that way!

I'm happy I made it even with it's challenges.  It's a comfortable, flowy dress to wear in the summer heat. Will I make another Nova next summer?  Who knows.  But I do love the pattern!

...as always more later!




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabric, and your dress looks lovely. I have this pattern but have not touched it - I think the sleeves are a big improvement! Like you I have not sewn a dress for a year (or anything else actually) and I have started on a new pants pattern. It seems we need to keep practising our sewing: I find I am very slow and unsure. Lovely to see you sewing again, and looking forward to what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually a commenter but I do love seeing your sewing—and for all the trouble it gave you, I think the dress, and that neckline looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely gorgeous fabric! Lovely to "see" you sewing again, Carolyn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is everything! I'm not sure why the sleeves gave you soo much trouble, but I do understand. I can't wait to see the next version. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so pretty and happy in that beautiful dress! Well, you got it done and no pictures on the score card :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to see you sewing again and that dress looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails