Saturday, August 31, 2024

The Sunflower Dress

This pattern was featured in one of Closet Core's weekly emails. Now I'm not that enthralled with 70s styles since I lived it as a skinny teenager. A teenager who also sewed so I made quite a few patterns from that era.  However, this one hit me a little differently now.

Probably because I saw it as a cross between the Style Arc Hope that I recently made. So I would use that bodice. Then using the Style Arc Nova tiers for the dress' skirt. Once it became a must make, I went looking for a piece of fabric from the collection.  Of course, I had the perfect one...this crepe-like linen blend purchased from Mood in April 2023.

I used the Hope bodice with the tie neckline and the huge sleeves from my second Hope.  

My only other change was to add a fourth tier to the skirt bottom to emulate the tiers of the inspiration dress. I did this by using the pattern's first tier pattern piece. I cut 3" off the width to make it slightly shorter than the second tier.  I wanted to add a tier but not a lot of volume near the top of the dress.  If you've ever made the Nova, you know those tiers hold a lot of fabric giving it a lot of volume.  

Please note: 

1. While I added another tier it did not have any gathers because I added the second tier exactly like the first tier. If I was to make this again, I would add a little more length to those pieces to give it a more gathered effect.

2. By adding four tiers the dress was extra long. I needed to remove 2" from the hem before I sewed a 1.5" wide hem.

The neckline ties were cut almost double the original length. One to match the inspiration photo and two because I felt the ties from my Rifle & Co Hope were too short. I also used the same construction technique as my last one to apply the neck tie. Except for the Tetris I did to cut out the tiers (cause again this pattern requires ALOT of fabric) there were no more alterations.

Here's the dress.  Did I get a good copy?




These photos were taken while I was on vacation in Chicago.  I spent the day with Carol and Cennetta fabric shopping. They took me to The Textile Warehouse - 3 floors of fabric in an un-air conditioned space! But I found some amazing pieces that will be sewn sooner rather than later. Our next stop was Rainbow Fabrics. We ended up at Joann's for the Simplicity pattern sale. Those adventures will be a separate blog post.  However, Cennetta was kind enough to take a few photos for me to share here! 

I'm loving this combination and convincing myself that I don't need a second version cause assembling those tiers are not for the weak hearted. Seriously!!!

The supplies used:

5 yards of a crepe linen blend 

2 yards of 3/4" elastic


...as always more later!

16 comments:

  1. I have always loved your style in maxi dresses. Beautiful fabric and dress style on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture of you took my breath away! Absolutely beautiful creation and so very flattering for you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a stunning dress. The fabric is beautiful, and you have done an amazing job with the Hope dress plus the tiers. Hope has been my most successful pattern for the past several years. The extension pack is incredible. Have a great trip to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - I love the extension pack too! The original Hope is nice but the extras take it to the next level. I have a fall version of this planned!

      Delete
  4. Well hello sunshine! The fabric paired with this pattern is perfect. It looks cool and comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fabulous like always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tiers and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the perfect pattern/idea to make fabric sing and this is no different. I love this dress, the sunflowers are so happy! I might just run with this idea. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaylen - definitely make one! It's so comfortable to wear and I've gotten so many compliments on it every time I've worn it!

      Delete
  8. That is one beautiful and happy dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Your finished dress is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, very nicely done and flattering! Do you have any tips for me on starting a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and so perfect for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that patten! I love seeing your take on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails