Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Another Black Suit

As much as I try not to wear black all the time, there are situations at work where a good black suit is necessary. Presently I have two black suits for fall/winter in my closet. This summer I realized that I need a spring/summer one and maybe a transitional one. Well I did purchase the fabric for the spring/summer one but just never got around to it...however, I can now take the transitional black suit off of my list.


The suit is comprised of the jacket from Simplicity 2570:





The top is the Sewing Workshop Mission Tank:


And the skirt is a version of my TNT skirt pattern.


Some stats:

Fabric:
black wool doubleknit from Metro Textiles
paisley eggplant silk from Marji - a piece from her clean-out

Notions:
8" black invisible zipper
12 - one inch silver buttons
5 - 1/2" silver buttons
a pair of 1/2 shoulder pads
4 yards of black satin bias binding
3 yards black rayon hem tape

Simplicity 2570 Jacket
I love yoke front jackets. That's one of the reasons why I chose this pattern. It also reminded me of my favorite black sweater which was worn with the black/white eyelet dress I just made. I thought that this jacket would be great with the dress as well as with a skirt. However, my jacket looks nothing like the jacket on the pattern envelope. And that's because when I went to add width to the jacket, I not only sliced and diced the pattern pieces but I added some to the front band. When I did a quick baste together of the jacket pieces for fit purposes, I liked how the larger front band looked and kept it...thus changing the overall look and feel of the jacket.

Also, I moved the pockets from the chest area (do I really need emphasis there?! *LOL*) to down by the hem. By encasing them in bias binding and adding a button to the top of the pocket, I gave them an emphasis that was lacking in the original version. My sleeves were also changed from a one piece sleeve, to a bracelet length sleeve with a center seam. I typically make this change on sleeves to make room for my bodacious biceps. The original jacket is unlined and remains so in my version. I did add some topstitching to unite the jacket and skirt.

Finally, this jacket took a full two days to sew! And for someone who was trying to make quick pieces this one was anything but quick! Then to add insult to injury not only did I have a lot of handsewing - yoke, hem and sleeve hems but there were 14 buttons to sew on which also is not part of the pattern - it recommends snaps! But all of the effort was worth it...here it is with the black/white eyelet dress:


Sewing Workshop Mission Tank
This is my go-to, TNT tank top. There is nothing different in this constuction process except that I didn't take the easy way out and turn and stitch the edges of the neckline and armholes. They are both self bound to give it a more finished look. This was not originally scheduled to be sewn but after using the fabric for the lining of the skirt, I could just "see" the tank. I'm glad that I took the time to make it because it completes the outfit!

TNT skirt
I haven't used this version of the skirt in years. But after making it this time, I will definitely sew it again this fall/winter season. I chose it because I already have a straight black skirt and a 4 gore version for fall. I didn't really want another one of the these versions and the choice was between this one and the one Gaylen has called "The Carolyn Skirt". (Simplicity 5914) Besides the three panel front and a thinner waistband, there is no other difference between it and my straight skirt. The pattern pieces are actually taken from my straight skirt, just sliced at the darts and 5/8" seam allowances added to come up with two separate front pieces. However, I did tape the waistband with twill tape to insure that it didn't grow on me during the day...especially since it is made from a double knit fabric. The finished skirt sports an invisible zipper, 2 silver buttons on the waistband as closures, as well as topstitching on the front seams. It is the perfect skirt for the jacket.

One more pic of me in the outfit...


...my next garments are made from a cotton/linen twill out of a soft sagey green. I'm tired of black...the black fuzz is everywhere...and I need a little color in my life now! *LOL*

...as always, more later!

49 comments:

  1. Oh Carolyn! This suit is gorgeous and I love the changes you made to the jacket. And all those buttons! I love buttons. This truly looks wonderful on you.what a great transition piece.
    I just remembered that I made a little black suit as part of my Swap that I never got to wear, I'm going to get it out and look at it right now!
    Keep up the good ans speedy work but don't forget to rest a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The double row of buttons is very flattering, and when I first saw the photo, I thought to myself, the pocket placement is also very nice...then read on to discover you'd made the change from the pattern. Good call, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the double row of buttons. Gives it a very stylish look for the season. And double knit-- I would probably wear it every other day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job! I love the double row of buttons, and I bet the double knit will wear fantastically well! Great job, and gorgeous suit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black suit is very sharp and figure flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking fierce, love your suit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Trudy. That black suit is very handsome on you. You look very chic and professional. I love the idea of the double-row of buttons. I may borrow your idea on some jacket in my own queue. You are an endless source of inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This suit is very flattering on you. You look like the lady you are. I love the double row of buttons detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn can you hear me drooling?? Nothing beats a good black suit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!.You can't go wrong with a black suit... I love the changes to the jacket.. You are so creative....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in awe of the buttons. The suit is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That suit is perfect on you! Very slimming and attractive and the buttons look great. Very nice addition to your wardrobe. Now bring on the sage green!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect suit, it looks fantastic on you and your changes to the jacket are fabulous. You are really making the most of your sewing vacation, good for you and I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A black suit is so functional! Love it! I need to make a new one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one fabulous suit. I love it! I really like the double row of buttons. g

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great suit. Love the matching of the tank to the lining of the skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks great but the top buttons look crooked ,

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great suit. I know what you mean about needing a break from sewing black, but it's so versatile in a wardrobe. I love that you think 2 days to make a jacket is a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great suit for business, especially the double row of buttons. I also tend to stick to black suits for meetings despite adding a lot more colour to my wardrobe. If you want to break away from the black, try charcoal grey, aubergine or a deep red, or wear a coloured jacket with a black skirt (but based on prior posts I think you do that anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a lovely suit, Carolyn. I agree about the style of jacket. I've just recently bought a Vogue wardrobe pattern with a similar style jacket and I'm keen to sew up it for spring. The fabric you've used for the top is gorgeous! I'd love a whole dress made from it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a very nice, feminine black suit. All those buttons were definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know we've been waiting for your next project! This suit is a stunner. I love the buttons! And the jacket looks amazing with the black/white dress. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your sewing vacay is turning out to be very productive! Love the suit - so chic in a corporate sort of way! ;) Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are sew creative and look marvelous in this suit, jacket and dress. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous! It looks live a very expensive suit from a high end designer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely . . . looks terrific and very flattering on you!!! I'm always intrigued with the way you "tweak" patterns and make them so totally unique -- you do a great job! Can't wait to see your sage green garment!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your suit looks great. I love htat the jacket is double breasted. Great work - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the suit and in your work life a black suit is definitely mandated, at least occasionally. The narrow double row of buttons reads as slimming verticals.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic suit - I love the jacket and tank top. Is that embroidery around the edge of the buttonholes or is it the fabric? It looks really pretty. I think that to make a suit like that in 2 days is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is hilarious that it took you 2 days to make something so complicated. It would take me 2 days to sew all those buttons on! I love wool doubleknit and I love your suit!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You know what works and how to work it. The jacket is classic and you should get lots of use out of it. I'm a fan of the buttons too. Well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous sewing vacation! And fabulous eye-candy as well. The suit is a stunner Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your design skills are smoking hot! Love the whole outfit, especially the changes (the ones I can see :) to the jacket. Beautiful work and beautiful on you. Can't wait to see your next creation.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  34. You look great in your new black suit. It's a treat to see what comes out of your sewing studio.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Snazzy! I love this jacket on you. Very classic.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You really have an eye for the details! The buttons and the satin binding on the pockets really make the jacket into something special.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look simply fabulous! Just fabulous! Hmmm..., I need a little black in my life. lol All of the pieces shown work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Boy, if you ever get tired of your paying job, you could show the pattern companies which way is up. The double row of buttons makes what looked like a toss-off design, perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Carolyn,
    Was looking for your comments today. bummer, no update on your vacay!
    by the way, the black suit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Black is so difficult to sew because of it being so difficult to see, but you have gotten beyond that and made a wonderful suit. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the double-breasted Chanel look on the jacket! It's a black suit, but it's not boring or personalityless.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Can you really ever have too many black suits? I mean you don't have to wear them all the time, just nice to know they're there. Yours is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the set. As I said before " I want to Sew like you when I grow Up." :-) It is Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Carolynnnnnnn you have topped the charts with that suit. As you may know by now I am a suit addict and totally lovinnnnnnnnn' that suit.

    You look Fabulous... it is so right on... did I say I'm lovin' that suit.

    The button & pocket placement are perfect... did I say I'm lovin' that suit.

    Well I'll say it again... Love the Suit!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails