Tuesday, September 08, 2009

It's Tuesday Morning

...and I'm slow rolling this morning. Pieces 2 and 3 are completed which are a skirt and a top. Piece 4 - the jacket from Simplicity 2570 has been cut out, basted together for fit and taken apart. Today I will begin the process of actually constructing the garment. But this has been a lazy morning. I think I'm going to relax a bit this morning before diving back into sewing since I'm right on schedule!

Just wanted to give you a brief update because both of my photographers are out of the house...no one will be back until very late this evening so there probably won't be any pretty pictures of these pieces until tomorrow!

But in the meantime can I share something else with you...I love pins! I've loved pins since before they came back on the fashion scene this time with Michelle Obama...and I've loved them since the time before that when they were declared "in style" yet again. I've probably loved them since I was a little girl because my grandmother had 2 or 3 very special ones that she rotated along with her good "costume jewelry" necklaces for Sunday Church Services. They always seemed to complete her outfits.

Does anyone remember Sarah Coventry jewelry and the jewelry parties? When I was growing up I think my mother had every type of home party there was...Tupperware...Princess House...Avon...and Sarah Coventry Jewelry. At one point almost all costume jewelry earrings were clip ons, everyone didn't have pierced ears when I was growing up...and I still don't have pierced ears. Though it is getting harder and harder to find stylish and fashionable clip on earrings, I will not be piercing my ears. At first when I was younger it was because I was scared...in my 30's it was because I had an entire wardrobe of earrings that I didn't have the resources to replace...starting my 50's, I just don't care anymore...I wear clip earrings.

Lately though some of my favorite jewelers have caught on to the "clip on minority" and have started providing earrings for us. I have a couple of pairs of Honora single pearl clip on earrings now in fashion colors that I just love! But I digress...I need to bring this back to sewing! *LOL* On eBay I noticed that there was a Sarah Coventry section - 35 pages worth! - and as I started to look through the offerings, I realized that quite a few of the current jewelry designers were using design ideas from the 60's in their pieces today. I also realized that quite a bit of the "vintage" jewelry was very wearable now...and I started bidding...and bidding...and bidding.

*Sigh* Y'know eBay is a very dangerous place...before you know it you are bidding on like 10 or 12 auctions and getting caught up in bidding fever... However, I quickly found my balance and purchased just a few pin/earring sets which I would like to share with you because they influenced what I am creating this sewing vacay...

This silver one started the slide:



This one quickly followed:




I think I ended up purchasing 4 or 5 sets and they are as beautiful in person as they are in the photos. These pieces will work wonderfully with the new sheath dress jacket combinations that I'm working on for fall. I'm also giving in and purchasing some leggings to go under my dresses for winter. Hopefully it won't be so cold this winter that I won't be able to go through with my plan. So after this episode of "The View" ends, I'm having some lunch and then heading back to my sewing table. Pretty pictures soon...I promise!




21 comments:

  1. OMG, those sets are stunning! I especially love the first one - it's so regal. I too adore pins and have been collecting them for about 25 years as they've gone in and out of fashion. My very favorite is a sterling silver cat that my son bought me with his own money when he was in elementary school. He had seen it at the corner jewelry store and had his dad drive him there to buy it for my birthday. :-)

    My jacket wearing time in Florida is pretty brief but sometimes I'll pin one onto my jeans right on the front pocket. Why not, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first set, I remember those sets, too, on my mom and aunts, the pin and clip earrings. I love vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the pin from the first set you show - inherited from my hubby's grandmother. I also love pins, wore many as a kid.
    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolyn - Great finds! I love pins, too. I have 2 starburst pins - one gold, one silver - that are similiar, but not identical, that I sometimes wear together, pinned near eachother on a diaganol. I read in a magazine recently the great idea of joining 2 necklaces together with a pin. I tried it with 2 strands of pearls and together they looked like a real statement piece. Just some more ways to work the pin love! Enjoy your sewing week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful sets, I especially like the second one! I have been slightly obsessed with buying costume jewelry as well the last few months. That and sewing. Nice to see I'm in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memory lane . . . my mother hosted a Sarah Coventry jewelry party probably about 50 years ago!! I share your love for gorgeous pins; I've got a pretty good assortment of them and go through phases where I wear them regularly. They always fit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember going to Sarah Coventry parties with my grandmother when I was a little girl. I had a little cat necklace that the tail swung back and forth on. I need to find that now! I also am a sucker for pins and have pilfered quite a few from my grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too, I remember Sarah Coventry!

    Daughter Annie refuses to pierce her ears and probably never will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The jewlery is lovely... when I saw the first set... I thought of a hat with feathers on it... must be a flash back of the 50-60's era! Funny how things will make you remember something. I'm sure you will enjoy your purchases... they really are nice... sounds like your moving right along too on your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had forgotten about Sarah Coventry! I think I still have some tucked away somewhere. I love pins and my two favourites are a silver hila monster and a bronze eucalyptus leaf and nut. Both of these live in overcoats. Are you familiar with annular and penannular pins? I'm not sure if my spelling is correct, but they are a traditional celtic pin for holding the swag part of a kilt in place on the chest. I have two, one black iron and one silver and they are just lovely. You've inspired me to dig through my jewellery box tonight! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed with your ambitious sewing schedule and your gorgeous jewelry acquisitions. I look forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes when I read your post, it is a little scary cause our life paths are somewhat similar. My mom had all of those parties as well and I loved Sarah Coventry jewlery. I still have some in my collection. I use to wear a lot of pins. I have some from my grandmother as well as mother and those I have acquired myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pins. Thanks for your tip on Shannon's blog on the brown knit wool from Fabricmart. I've also purchased some and will follow your tip on washing and drying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janina the MomBeastSeptember 08, 2009 9:25 PM

    Ah, Sarah Coventry jewelry! My Aunt gave me a piece when I was nine. It is a ruby-red glass apple brooch. The apple is surrounded by a silver edge, and has a silver leaf and stem. I thought it the most wonderful, sophisticated thing I'd ever seen!

    Because it is glass it is also quite heavy, and couldn't be worn on my cotton dresses. I still have that pin, I still think it's wonderful, and now I have suits and jumpers that can bear its weight.
    Every time I do wear it, it gets sighs of admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. C,
    first of all, Thank You for your great blog!! I read quite a bit last night and I have to say that I am feeling re-inspired!! Thanks so much.
    On pins, I am a pin collector. Have been since the mid-80's. Love them.
    I hope your sewcation is very productive. I can't wait to see what you make. CAS in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your jewelry. You have great taste and made some awesome purchases. Maybe you can model them with your "sheaths"?

    ReplyDelete
  17. i was really into vintage jewelry for a long while, bought estate jewelry and sold it. sarah coventry.. reiss etc were always my favourites!

    try the welding out and tell me how it works out! thanks for stopping by my blog. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new jewelery pieces are very nice and I' sure you will enjoy wearing them. I have lost several stones from my vintage pieces and reccommend that you have yours checked before wearing to avoid that disappointment.
    My first job at age 16 was selling Sarah Coventry. Funny thing, I don't remember buying anything for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! Yes how I remember those parties! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those pieces are fab! I love the first set and can easily see why it started a slippery slide.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You bring back memories of my youth. lol My family made those same kind of parties. I love all the pieces that you showed in the post. Like you pins have always been in style for me having found several in thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails