I've been on vacation all week...so you would think that I'd have some amazing treasures to share with you, right? Well you would be wrong! I spent the beginning of my vacation week fabric shopping with friends in wonderous places but when I got home Tuesday evening, I was sick as a dog! Tell me who goes away for their dream vacation and catches the cold from hell...that would be me friends!
I managed to get the Donna Karan dress made and that was it. Basically I've spent the last few days trying to cough up my lungs and watching alot of television. On Thursday when I pulled the pattern pieces for Butterick 5600 out of it's envelope I wanted to cry. Can we just say A-L-O-T of pattern alterations will be needed to make this dress work on my plus size body...*sigh*...just too much work for me to contemplate in my weakened state.
So today when I could finally lift my head off the pillow, I resorted to my TNT dress pattern so that I would at least have two new things to show for the nine days I've been home from work...and two new things to wear to work this week...the only good thing about this whole sickness debaucle is that this Friday is Good Friday and I won't have to work!
I did, however, use one of my new fabrics...purchased from GStreet in Rockville, MD last weekend. When I picked the fabric up I knew I wanted to use it with my TNT pattern. I'd been looking for a border print that I could run down the front and back of a dress...
The front of the dress...
The back of the dress...
TNT dress pattern
Pique border print knit
22" invisible zipper
3 yards knit bias binding
I can make this dress in my sleep, I've made it so many times. It was perfect to highlight the fabric...which I cut out with the border running down the front side and in two different directions in the back to look like color blocking.
I used a knit bias binding from my notions collection to finish off the neckline and the armholes. After sewing the binding down and flipping it to the wrong side of the dress, I understitched it. Finally cutting the bias binding close to the stitching line.
A one inch hem was ironed up using some stitch witchery so that I wouldn't have to worry about a hemline showing through...and this dress was done. It actually was just as easy to sew as the DKNY knit dress. So I have two new dresses for work this week.
I've picked apart the pieces of the Butterick 5598 dress that I was working on before vacation and will pick it back up this Friday since I already have my Easter outfit ready.
...as always, more later!