I worked on this dress during my July sewcation. I used an Oscar de la Renta lightweight linen border print that I purchased from Marcy Tilton at least 2 years ago. Of course this isn't what I originally purchased the fabric for, however, I'm allowed to change my mind! 😉
Cutting Details:
Since this was a border print, I carefully plotted out how I cut the dress out. I knew the majority of the Magnolia print would be at the bottom of the dress. I wanted my collar and sleeves to feature the Magnolia print too. I also wanted the pockets to be cut from the print. While they don't match exactly they work for what I had in mind.
Construction Details:
I made this pattern exactly like the pattern suggests. The only difference I made this time was to line the pockets. Why? I wanted them to be functional and my linen is LIGHTWEIGHT!
To make the lined pockets:
I cut the lining fabric out omitting the 5/8" seam allowance the pocket top
Stitched the pocket top seam together to form the pocket with the lining - then pressed
Trim the seam on both sides.
Serged the edge without the curve so the edge will be clean finished when sewn into the dress front.
Stitched the lining and fabric pocket together on the curved side. Clipped the seams. Then flipped and pressed flat.
Lined pocket was attached to the dress front.
More Info:
In my last version I used piping and buttons to add distinction to the dress. For this version, I didn't want to do anything that took away from the Magnolia print on this fabric. I did topstitch everything on this dress. The pattern suggests it and I used my triple stitch set at a 5 length to get a prominent topstitch. Although since this is a lightweight linen, if you look carefully at the top stitching, it appears almost heirloom stitching like.
I added a pleather/plastic/pearl button to the area beneath the collar. That button sort of looks like a flower petal. Done because I really liked how the buttons look on the original dress. I have several of these buttons. Have no idea where they came from since it's deep button stash.
A Few Photos:
Finally, a wearability report. I received quite a few compliments on the dress. However, this is a lightweight linen that creased ALOT in the wearing. I think if it had been a more humid day the creases would have fallen out some from the water in the atmosphere. However, I wore it on a warm, sunny, low humidity day. Also, because the fabric is pretty sheer, I wore my knit slip underneath so it wouldn't be so transparent when walking in the sun. I can see this dress looking a little more formal with some heels and different jewelry. May wear it to church that way.
There are more dresses to be photographed and shared. Taking a week each month this summer and using it as a sewcation has jumpstarted my sewjo. Also, with the weight loss, I needed a few more summer dresses because my leg and ankle swelling went away. So, I'm adding several dresses with shorter hemlines back into the mix. All old lady problems I know, but I'm grateful to have reached 67 healthy because so many don't.
...as always, more later!









Another great make, and you look amazing in this flattering piece. You and you blog really inspire me! Thank you! Karen In Kansas
ReplyDelete