Monday, July 04, 2011

A QVC Knockoff

Yes, that's right I'm knocking off QVC now!  *LOL*  I totally get that you/me/we should be knocking off pricy designers but it was a look that I've wanted for some time and seeing a version of it on Isaac Mizrahi's show made me want one even more.  Here is what inspired me:


I've seen a raglan sleeve version cardigan with the fabric fronts in an older Burda WOF magazine but it was in the regular sizes...and several times I thought about grading it up but just never got around to it.  But when I saw this one last Monday night I knew it was time for me to make one.  The best thing about this one is that everything came from the home collection.  No ordering, no traveling to the store, just pulled it all out and waited for the weekend.

At first I debated whether or not to make this with an accompanying dress, then I realized that I had plenty to work with it in my wardrobe...so even though it's pictured here with a skirt and a pair of pants there are at least two other dresses in my closet that this will go with this cardigan:

with a black linen skirt (made years ago) and RTW tank


with black linen pants (made last summer)
and a RTW tank

Some stats:

Pattern:
Burda 8869 - out of print - this is my go to cardigan pattern, I've made it alot!

Fabrics:
1 yard of polyester fabric from Metro Textiles


1.5 yards of black silk jersey purchased from Fashion Fabrics Club years ago

Notions:
5 buttons from the collection
A strip of the ltwt fusible interfacing from Farmhouse Fabrics (I'm loving this stuff!)

You know I've made this cardigan so many times that I can make it in my sleep.  Usually I construct most of it on my serger, but this time I did sew most of the seams on my sewing machine first and then finished them on the serger (which I'm loving more and more these days since I'm no longer intimidated by it! *LOL*).  And since there are two different fabrics, I did not add stay tape at the shoulder line, I think the polyester fabric will stabilize the knit.


I did add stitch witchery to the sleeve hems and used a twin needle to doublestitch and finish them.  The hem on the cardigan is doubled and hand hemmed. 

Otherwise there is nothing new in the construction techniques. It's just a great new cardigan to add to my collection...and since any type of covering is okay for the JAM (Jacket A Month project on Stitcher's Guild) - this will make my third completed one.  I'm only 4 behind! *LOL*

The Rachel dress is up tomorrow...

...more later!

41 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this look. Great version of the cardie and a very flattering look. I will just have to have me one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed with what you pull out of your fabric closet. Great cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, you have a talent for working with panel prints and making them into something special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is stunning and I hadn't thought of combining the two fabrics before. I really need to get my cardigan pattern out and sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done it again Carolyn....another lovely garment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful cardie and it looks amazing with your linen pants. I really need to find a good cardigan pattern, yours has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cardigan is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn,
    Oh my gosh, what a great cardigan! I just love everything about it.
    Sally B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Great use of fabric panel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great addition to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks outstanding!! I love how you used the print.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing, as usual. Love how you combine the fabrics and use a TNT to boot. I really like the cardi paired with the linen pants, I think its a very flattering look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! Love the cardigan! Dress it up, dress it down...it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Top stuff. Great idea. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO CUTE! I think I am being inspired not only to make myself one but to share more of what I make on my own blog. I have been sewing plenty but haven't posted about any of it for a year now. I love to see what others are doing and I imagine others would also enjoy my projects. Thanks so much for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. QVC Knock-off or not, that cardigan is beautiful. I love the fabric and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Carolyn, I just love the new cardigan. I need get a great cardigan pattern too. I wear them a lot over the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great cardigan, Carolyn! I love it both ways you have styled it. I also love to watch Isaac on QVC and, in fact, am watching him right now! I frequently get ideas from his detailing, though I don't know that I've used any yet.

    That is one great fabric. You know I love me some panel prints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea for a cardi, and a great way to use panel prints as well. You're lookin' good, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous cardigan, Carolyn. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your choice of fabrics is great! This is another great cardie in your collection. It looks very good with the skirt or the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice and very you. I predict you will get a lot of wear out of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks gorgeous! Not like polyester and not like a QVC knock off, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have the same fabric in my stash-(Gorgeous had it last fall, I think) Amazing drape but I was stuck on what to do with it that wouldn't make me look like a large box. You solved that to perfection. It really is flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks fantastic Carolyn! You are the queen of "when you're on a good thing, stick to it" - you do such gorgeous iterations of your classics. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute and versatile! And what's wrong with a QVC knock off? Here in Hicksville, USA trying to knock off fashion designers would be wayyy too cutting edge and frowned upon (or met with odds looks).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE this! Gorgeous! And takes a cardigan to a whole new level. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Elegant and great for either casual or office. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. C - you look sharp in this outfit! Love it1

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well aren't you clever! I just might have to follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love, love the QVC Knockoff. It looks great. You know I have to copy that. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Once again you are so very tres chic! (knock off or not, you still had to put together the right fabrics)

    I just knocked off Susan Graver's swing dress. Love being able to sew to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your version of the knockoff!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very lovely knock-off!!! You look great modeling it:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the cardigan.

    On another note, I found a book by Adele Margolis at half price books and was thrilled to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really, really, really, REALLY like this cardigan. I love how you used the print fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Knocking off QVC suits you! Besides, they have very wearable stuff -- just not always in the nicest fabric! :)

    I also wanted to tell you how much I am inspired (ok -- that's a strong word but fitting) by you sharing your sewing with your readers. I'm a plus-sized lady and I haven't sewn in SO long! But, I started reading your blog a couple of months ago and this weekend (with a holiday from work) I pulled out the machines and made myself up a couple of beautiful knit dresses and a cute denim skirt.

    Reading that you have wadders now and then and hearing about the fitting challenges and then seeing your lovely outfits... you're my favorite blogger!

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is great - I like the combination of different types of fabrics. It looks marvellous on you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails