Friday, January 04, 2013

She's Here ~ the Janome Horizon 8900QCP

We got home around 5pm after a busy day.  I picked her up around 2pm and placed her gently in the trunk of the car...had some lunch, did a few errands and finally she was carried into the house and set on the cutting table.


To be honest she sat there for quite some time...because I was afraid to open the box.  After watching TV and instagraming a few pics, I got enough courage to remove her from the box.


Waited another hour and finally I started looking at and playing with all of her accessories.  Why did it take so long? Because this is my dream sewing machine. The last "real" sewing machine I bought myself was my Janome 8000 and I bought it used with insurance money after my apartment burned...another story, another time, almost 15 years ago.  

The 6600P was given to me by a dear friend for just the cost of shipping.  An aside here, the Bible says that "as you sow, shall you reap" and I'm believing that she will be blessed more than she will ever ask or think for such an amazing and unselfish gift.  I don't think my friend had even used it much...and it's served me well for the last three years!  Today, especially today, I'm tremendously touched by the awesomeness of her gift.

Why am I so grateful today?  Because I have the ability to purchase this amazing new machine.  Seriously, I've shed a few tears today to be so blessed.  I know it's just a sewing machine but it's the avenue that will give me the ability to fulfill so many of my ideas.  It will be the outlet that I will use to let my creativity flow and I'm just feeling very, very blessed.

Okay enough sap! *LOL*  The dealer threw in a teflon foot probably the only foot the machine is missing since it came with a large amount of feet, two dozen extra bobbins, and some Universal needles.  Dude didn't know I have my own needle collection in the sewing cave, and I didn't want to seem ungracious, so they all came home with me.



My Horizon 8900QCP is a little bigger than my 6600P but most importantly it has a free arm.  People, I've been sewing without a free arm for three years and one of the things I've missed most is that feature.  



It has a large foot pedal.  No searching around for that baby underneath the sewing table!  A knee lift, a large clear extension table, extra lighting underneath, a wider opening and 270 stitches versus the 100 on the 6600P.  I've already sewn a few stitches on her.  Since I've been sewing on a Janome for over 15 years, it's like home every time I sit down in front of a new one.

I'm going to put her aside for a minute and complete my last project on the 6600P which will become my backup machine.  It has served me well and I want to finish this last journey with it.  When my daughter comes over on Sunday, she will take the Janome 8000 home with her with all of the embroidery pieces that came with it.  She has a little girl now and it will allow her to make some pretty little girl clothes.

After this sewcation, this is the sewing complement that I will be creating on...





and I can't wait...as always more later!!!

47 comments:

  1. Congratulations Carolyn. I also have a 6600P and love her to bits, but I do miss the free-arm, much more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new sewing companion. I'm so happy for you that you are able to give yourself this gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful and all sparklearkley - she has found a good new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is beautiful. Congratulations on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, what a pretty machine.... and it's yours all yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Carolyn... I can only imagine how excited you must have been taking this little baby out of her box. Mine should be arriving any day now as well and can't wait. My hubby got it for me for xmas... we live in a remote mining town and have to wait for her to arrive via courier. This really is a dream machine and has been on my wish list since it came out... how blessed we are to have on of these little beauties! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I gave that model a test drive at the dealer, and it is sweet! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Carolyn!! What a wonderful blessing! I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Happy new machine! Hope this is the beginning of a wonderful collaboration between you two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, she's so pretty! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you got to get your dream machine. I'm excited just thinking about all the creativity that will be flying out of the cave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - looks like a great machine! I went into my local dealers today to get foot for my Pfaff Tiptronic 2020 (only 8 years old) and was told that as my machine is 'rather old' they don't carry the foot I was after. I explained to hubby that I would therefore need a new machine . . . . . he is still recovering from that comment, but the seed has been sown!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coming out of my usual lurkdom to say that I'm so very touched by your relationships with your machines. Really. I'm in the throes of shopping for my very first "real" sewing machine and I'm so surprised by how many feelings it stirs up. Your 8900QCP is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh... so beautiful! That's it... I was 99% ready to just do it, now it's settled. Next week I'll be off to the dealer!

    To CaCOYOTE - a fellow Las Vegas reader! Hello! Ok, technically Henderson, but close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow..she's a big girl & so beautiful. You deserve her and I can't wait to see what you create on her. Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting! I can see lots of gorgeous outfits being made on that beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a lovely start to the New Year :) !

    ReplyDelete
  19. congratulations on your new baby enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you'll share with us all the new little details that this machine has over the last one as you discover what it can do. I also sew on Janomes. I've always been satisfied. All the raving about Berninas does make me wonder, but I cannot imagine that I could ever afford one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoy getting to know your new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it wonderful how the blessing passed on from one person (your friend) became a blessing passed on to others (your readers--as you share your talents/gifts) so that in the end we all benefit from the generosity of one. A good thing for each of us to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  23. She's a beautiful machine. Have fun getting to know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations, if anyone will get their money's worth it will be you! I know what you mean about not jumping straight into sewing on it. I bought a 2nd hand coverstitch machine and got it early December but haven't had time really to play yet and I'm a bit scared. I also thought I shouldn't have spent the money but after a few weeks of that I realised I have had my overlocker for 20 years and it gets used a lot over that time. I too would like to hear about all the features.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your new machine! You know what they say: "Drive it like you stole it!" Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on the new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful Carolyn!I understand completely how you feel.Whenever I'm asked what I would do if I won the Lotto, my reply always is that I'd buy the best sewing machine and finest fabrics available. OF course I'm always met with raised eyebrows
    and disbelief!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on the new machine. Getting a new machine is so thrilling, and I know you will be making many more gorgeous outfit with your new Janome.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think I'm jealous. Wait, I know I'm jealous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! It looks like a great machine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on your new addition to your sewing cave family. I imagine that she will settle in quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I totally get the sappy feelings around a sewing machine. I cannot imagine how differently life would look without mine. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations to the new addition to your family. I know you and the Janome will get along fabulously. I can't wait to see what you work on it first.

    I cannot wait to see your Lafayette inspiration dress complete and I'm waiting to see pictures of stud dress, as I'm calling it, on you. Can't wait!!!

    Happy New Year and I hope to see you sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great purchase. You'll have so much fun with it!

    "Why am I so grateful today? Because I have the ability to purchase this amazing new machine."
    I feel this way when I buy expensive fabric or shoes. I try to feel this way when something breaks and it's an expensive repair, but I can't quite manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm getting mine next week. Can't wait..loved your description of how blessed you feel to get this machine. This machine is a gift to me from money my mother that died Christmas day left me. Nothing can ever make up for that but I to feel very blessed to own it and will help me remember my mother who also was an avid quilter and sewer.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I understand the blessed feeling... there are several times a day I am reminded that just having a job is a blessing. I'm sure you will enjoy and take care of your machine. And we'll enjoy reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a treat to see your new machine and to read your eloquent words. I really understand that blessed feeling too. We are the lucky ones who can see the goodness around us.

    ReplyDelete
  39. CONGRATS!!! It's a blessing to give thanks because NO ONE can tell your story like you can. Thanks for sharing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrads on your machine. It is so funny that you describe how you felt about your machine.I just bought a janome no way as nice as yours but I felt the same way. I let it sit and then once I took it out I hugged it. It was the nicest machine I ever had. So I know how you feel.Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've enjoyed the Janome I bought last spring based upon your recommendation, but I have missed the free arm feature. It makes set-in sleeves so tedious! But I can't justify another new machine so soon after such a large expenditure, so I'll just have to drool in envy at your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've just purchased this same machine this week...it is unreal. I've had a pfaff expression 4 for 4 years and the janome runs rings around the pfaff. Of course there are some things I love on the pfaff like it'd for normal sewing and foot up and down... But the knee lift does that job also.
    The 8900 quilts beautifully and has no problems with seams. The quilting foot is adjustable for different thickness quilts.
    So far it unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have just received the 8900 as a surprise Christmas present ... so excited but just keep looking at her .. scared to touch her

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just bought the 8900qcp this past summer as a gift to myself after owning a MC5700 my husband purchased for me 18 years prior. Like you I feel so humbled that I was able to afford to do this for myself. It took me a little bit to unpack her and play with her. After her photo op on FB I finally picked up some fabric and played. Congrats to you and congrats to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails