Let's call this part of the journey, the taping, tracing and upgrading of the Burda 08-2012-142 dress.
It took me several evenings after work to tape the entire pattern together...
There were 37 pages of 8.5" x 11" pages to be taped together. I'll admit that by the end I was fading and definitely losing interest but I pushed through. After it was all taped, I had to decide how to proceed. Trace from the large pattern piece or cut it apart, trace, then add 5/8" seam allowances. Since the sleeve was in the center of the pattern I started tracing that piece but quickly came to the realization that I would cut the pieces apart then trace and alter.
First I need to talk about how I see this dress' silhouette. I really like how the darts burst in the front. Since I have no plans to wash this alot (thanks Melissa for that tip!) I'm keeping the burst. Plus I think it really is a bust enhancing feature and when your bustline competes with your abdomen, I'm doing all I can to enhance the bustline! Next, I need to remind you that I don't like form fitting or tight clothing. Oh gawd but I hate being able to see my rolls through my clothes, so I'm choosing to make this dress a little looser fitting than the picture. Please realize that this is MY personal choice and the choice that all sewists get to make when constructing their garments.
However, I do like close fitting clothing that skims over the more bodacious parts of my body yet give me a slim silhouette. Princess seams assist with a slimmer silhouette, so I'm definitely keeping them. But I will be using my TNT dress as a "sloper" to assist with getting the fit I like.
After cutting up the downloaded pattern, I made my pattern sandwich and cut out new pattern pieces.
This was easier for the back piece than the front due to the pleated front...and I think my burst piece may be a little bigger than it's suppose to be especially since I had to figure out the pleat markings. The pattern only marked size 44 and I'm in no way a 44. Probably will be playing around with the pleats to get the best look for my bustline. So I will be basting the dress front together to check fit.
Here's the ponte I'm using to make the dress...
It's from the collection - woo hoo! And it's a pretty berry color that will look great for fall. Yes, just to remind you ~ I am sewing fall now.
Next up will be cutting, tracing and construction. I may or may not slip another project in before completing this one, of course I will keep you informed. BTW, Debbie I'm working on this as fast as I can, cause I'd love to see your version of this dress!
...as always more later!