So these are the two patterns that I'm using to make my 60's vintage inspired wool boucle jacket:
And these are the fabrics...cream wool boucle already backed with fusible knit purchased from Moods 3rd floor (love that floor!) in the NYC store:
Here is the silk from the collection that I'm using to peek through the faux welt pockets:
The jacket will be lined with a cream colored bemberg rayon lining also from the collection:
Pattern Alteration and Construction ~
The first thing I needed to do was to alter the jacket sleeve. Since the sleeve on the Vogue circa 1999 pattern and the vintage Simplicity pattern both have a one piece sleeve, I used the sleeve from my dress pattern to make a pattern sandwich to create a new sleeve for the jacket. This will solve my bodacious bicep issues.
Added a center back seam to the jacket back pattern piece.
Then the jacket fronts and backs were constructed the same way described in this post. So this is what the jacket shell looks like now. The only change I made this time was to use smaller pieces of fabric for the welt pocket windows. Since I'm using a black 'n white polka dot fabric that is dark, I didn't want the fabric to show through the lining or the jacket front.
The jacket was assembled and then the sleeves sewn in. I'm working on adding the lining now but just wanted to give an update on the construction of the jacket prior to it's reveal.
I'm really thrilled with it so far. It was a good choice for my Mood project because the jacket pattern's fit issues had already been resolved and I like the interesting details that are featured on the jacket front. Also it really helped that the fabric was already backed with fusible interfacing.
I love these types of fabric cuts and always try to purchase them when I find one. One less step to do when working on a jacket project. If you find a fabric that's backed with interfacing, I highly recommend that you purchase it.
...as always more later!