So it's Saturday and I've got a pile of fabric from Mood sitting on my cutting table begging me to see something in them so that I can sew up something marvelous and have it photographed by Wednesday. See I had a project...a perfectly good project but it's a little too involved for my due date.
I purchased the perfect fabric to make my perfect lavender transitional coat...but sickness did me in. Gawd, I was even going to make a muslin. Bought actual muslin fabric and everything. I nevah muslin so to say I'm disappointed that I'm not working on this project is an overstatement. However, I will make it later on cause I really want that coat!
Now though, my self picked Mood date is approaching and here I sit trying to make it work. I've been sewing for the Mood Network for over a year now and this is the first time that sickness has derailed me. I've been late because a garment was more intricate than I originally thought and picked another date but I've never sat in the sewing cave wondering what the hell could I sew!
I had an idea and I thought it would work until I put my two pieces of fabric side by side and they didn't play as well together as I thought they would. Back to the drawing board. I really want a dress/jacket combo but I will need a jacket pattern that I've made before so all of my fit issues have been resolved and I have precious few of those that I presently like. But now that I've gotten the idea in my head I can't get it out.
So I go pawing through all of the patterns that I've made for the last five years and I find this one ~ Vogue 2285 which is so out of print it's pitiful. The pattern's copyright date is 1999 but I used it as the basis to make a vintage inspired jacket back in 2008 which became part of my Easter Outfit that year.
I've always wanted to make another jacket like it but improve upon the sleeve fit, which is what ultimately did that jacket in. Also, I really like the faux welt pockets or slot seams that the jacket uses. I could make this and have it photographed by Wednesday evening. Here is a picture of the vintage jacket that inspired the original jacket and this new one...
The fabric I've chosen will work with quite a few pieces already in my wardrobe so I won't need to make a second piece to accompany it. Finally the only pattern work I will need to do is enlarge the sleeve pattern which I'm going to do by using a sleeve pattern piece that presently works. Thankfully I blogged the entire construction process here back in 2008.
Now it's time to clear off the sewing table and make the magic happen...hahahahaha!
...as always more later!