Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Muse

I've been a fan of the dresses from this company for years. I subscribed to their emails and have an entire folder of luscious dresses.  Though it doesn't look as if the site has been updated since last spring...which is sad because they made a great, trendy dress that could be worn for young and upcoming women in the workplace. (Just received an email from www.MaggyLondon.com showing their dresses and Muse dresses.  The sites have been combined!  Mystery solved! So go on over and check them out!)

Sad about that but so glad that I've saved so many images of their amazing dresses.  I stumbled upon this picture on my work computer and I realized that I own these fabrics.  Yes, every piece of fabric in the dress to the left (to the left, to the left - yeah totally had a Beyonce moment there! LOL!) is in my fabric collection.  

I don't know if I bought them to make the dress because normally I don't copy a RTW or designer garment fabric for fabric, I interpret it as I see it.  I usually "see" it with a twist...but this time...I want to make it EXACTLY as Muse created it.

First a pattern...I'm thinking of starting with Vogue 8805.



I believe the pattern alterations will be easy to make to this pattern since the pattern is already in sections. I will be adding slightly longer sleeves, just because. It will be the only deviation from the Muse dress. I'm also adding a center back seam and an invisible zipper...just don't like the button and loop closure on the dress back. Is it just me that always feels a little undressed when wearing a dress or top with the closing?

Here are my fabric choices ~



A black 'n white graphic print from "The Ponte Collection."  I think it's from Mood but I'm not sure because this piece no longer has a label. It has been prewashed and a piece cut from it.  So I'm wondering if my daughter used a piece of it for something.

The royal navy (although it looks purple in the pic) is also a cotton ponte from Mood. I know because this piece is marked. I love their ponte aisle and had a hard time staying out of it when I was a Mood blogger. There were always so many amazing treasures to find there!

Finally the black faux leather is from Sawyer Brook Fabrics. I bought many yards of the faux leather in black and brown and have used it for accents on several pieces in my wardrobe.  This won't be the last time this winter that you see faux leather in a garment.

Next up will be pattern alterations. I will leave the boxiness in this pattern because the original dress is slightly boxy also.  BTW, I made a list of garments that I wanted to sew back in early September. This is item number four on the list. I've skipped the wool/lace version of McCalls 6988 to make later.  However, there are only three more items on the list (one is another new pattern) and I'm kinda thrilled that I'm working my way through the list.

...as always more later!







16 comments:

  1. What a fabulous inspiration dress. Can't wait to see how you get on with making this dress.
    I much prefer a zipper too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress - I think the ponte will make it totally comfortable. Looking forward to seeing this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you post inspiration photos - I always find another dress to add to my inspiration list too! I love the combo of your fabrics, the dress will look fabulous I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything you make! Lol. I still haven't tried anything more difficult than pajama shorts. I'm chicken. One day. One day soon I'm going to give clothing a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting new project. Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dress pattern. Love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, Muse Apparel has a Facebook page and they're on Instagram. Both appear to be up to date. Maybe you can drop them a note asking why the site isn't current. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannette, I looked them up and I think these are two different companies. Muse apparel seems to be a Canadian company and I believe Muse was an American company. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black and white is from Mood- I used it for a pair of Hudson pants! We'll almost be twins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the inspirational dress and looking forward to seeing your version

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo, I love this! The inspiration garment is really cool, and I can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fabric choices are perfect! I look forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot wait to see your dress.

    Two or those pieces are in my collection too. The black and white ponte (fabricmart) and the royal ponte (phone order from Kashi).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carolyn, I like the Muse dress too. Lucky you to have the exact fabric to make it. Looking forward to seeing your version of the Muse dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails