IT MUST WORK FOR MY LIFESTYLE!
So a few givens:
- I love a dress. I'm happiest wearing one and feel most confident in some combination of a dress/cardigan and/or jacket.
- I believe that a straight up and down look works best on my frame. The more it elongates me, the better I look.
- Use as much color as I can manage for my workplace.
- Add details - details set my garments apart from my co-workers since RTW tends to skimp on the details.
- Stay just within the confines of what's acceptable for the conservative atmosphere of my workplace.
Truly I'm tempted. To take just one giant flight of fancy ~ plan some awesome artsy dress, coat, pair of pants or use a pattern that I normally wouldn't use and I think about fabric, color, embellishments. I'm pretty far down that creative road when I come to a screeching halt because I ask myself the question, "Where would I wear it?"
Seriously just like that I'm shut down...down...and out for the count! Because at this point in my life my sewing time is limited...therefore very precious to me. I don't want to spend weekends sewing something I won't wear. I'm not thrilled at the infrequent times it does happen. So while I'm sure that I'd enjoy the creative sewing journey but if I won't wear it in the end, what's the point? Why did I make it? Why did I waste my valuable sewing time?
These are the thoughts that go through my head...but what about you? Do you sew for the life you lead or the one you want to lead? Are you influenced by the amazing garments you've seen on the internet? Do you buy a pattern because of another's success with it, even though you know it won't work for your lifestyle? Or is it something different? Is it because you haven't quite figured out your style so you emulate others? Trying on different hats/styles/patterns hoping to make them work for you?
Talk back to me because this is the "Question of the Day!" BTW, I've listed a few of the amazingly, wonderful, creative garments that's been rocking my world lately!
- Shams - Wool Coat with Knitted Sleeves
- Gayle's Amazing Vest
- Ruth's Alabama Chanin Outfits
- Anything Alabama Chanin by Carolyn
- Bunny's Ikat Jacket
- Anything that Tany makes - dayum I want to sew like her!
...always more later!