Saturday, June 04, 2016

Vogue 7271 - Out of Print Koko Beall Dress

I've bought several panel prints from Fabric Mart over the years and I've watched as others have used them successfully. When I purchased these I knew they wouldn't work for my lifestyle them but I loved them so much that I bought them anyway...hoping that I could use them sometime in the future.

Well the future has finally arrived!  This is what I posted to Instagram two weeks ago.

...and here is the finished dress..


Supplies ~
3 panels of a printed cotton jacquard from the collection via Fabric Mart
20" invisible white zipper
white linen bias binding
Large blue rick rack trim purchased from Joyce Trimming

Pattern ~
Out-of-Print Vogue Pattern 7271
I have a couple of these Koko Beall patterns purchased when they were popular at Vogue Patterns. Like the Adri patterns, they have never been used but since I've been on the hunt for a good empire waisted dress, they are perfect for what I need.

Construction Information ~
The most important part of making this dress work was successfully cutting out the panels. Cutting the bodice and skirt pieces so that they looked like they naturally flowed into each other was a must.

One of the reasons why I hadn't used the panel before, was that I needed a pattern that had a few pattern pieces that I could use to cut the panels into. All of the versions I'd seen using the panel fabric were dresses with waistlines and you know I'm so not into a waistline dress.

A few things:
~  The empire waist is not as high as I thought it was. That fact is concealed in the print I used. 
~  Even though I added several inches to the dress, it has a closer fit than I'm use to. 
~  I added darts to the armholes of the dress to remove some excess space. 
~  I used bias binding on the neckline. 
~  The armholes are turned under and stitched flat. 
~  I omitted the facings in the pattern. 
~  The dress is also shorter than I like but that's because I ran out of fabric/space in the panel so the hem is 1/4" before I added the rick rack.



The dress set for a week and a half after I made it because it was lacking something when I put it on. My first thought was to pick it apart and add some navy blue piping to the waistline and a blue linen panel to the bottom of the dress...but I kept wavering primarily because my invisible zipper insertion was on point and I didn't want to remove it. 


rick rack at waistline and hemline

rick rack at the empire waistline

Finally I decided on buying some blue rick rack and adding it to the dress because it's kinda fun and unexpected. Also rick rack in no way says corporate dressing at ALL, another reason to go with it.

A few pictures ~




Conclusion ~
Of course the dress is fancy and as it's pictured above is how I plan on wearing it to work. Though I have to admit it was quite warm this afternoon when taking these pics...but since I live in manufactured air, I should be fine. 

I will make this dress again.  I already have two versions in my head. Another knee length version and as a maxidress. For the next versions, I will lower the neckline about an inch at center front. I'm thinking a linen or challis from the collection for the maxidress and maybe color blocking the knee length version.

However, I'm sorry that I waited so long to use this pattern because it has great bones. I've seen a few on eBay so if you want to try it out, grab one!

We spent a lot of time today taking pictures of my backlogged garments, yes I've been sewing! By the time you read all of these posts, hopefully my next set of garments will be ready to photograph because I'm going to spend tomorrow sewing items off my list. It's not that I don't have clothing to wear, it's just that I'd like to get back to wearing me made as much as possible. I'm sure you all understand that.

...as always more later!




34 comments:

  1. I love the shorter length on you! Looks fresh and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this dress on you. The addition of the blue ric rac really sets it off. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress on you Carolyn! Although you say you can't see the waist detail due to the print of the fabric, it nips in your waist perfectly! You truly get to see that hourglass shape you have. I also agree with Kendra, the shorter length looks so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! Though I feel more like a big ole square than an hourglass...thank goodness clothing can enhance our body shapes!

      Delete
  4. You are so clever! That is a fabulous dress which looks gorgeous on you. I admire your talent for turning simple looking designs into such stunning creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should make this dress again because it looks great on you! Great silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this fabric is truly beautiful and you've made the very best of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth - it is a gorgeous piece of fabric! I have a few more panel prints in the collection and I'm looking forward to using them now.

      Delete
  7. you look like the happiest grown up kid ever. and i mean that in all of the best ways-- enjoying all aspects of life, and it shows in your beautiful new wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Carolyn! I love the look very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's very flattering on you-the length, the fit-it looks GREAT!!! I know it's not what you're used to, so it'll take a minute to feel comfortable in it, but from your comments so far, I think you're onto a winner! The silhouette truly suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schmoomom - you're right the fit is different than what I've worn in the past but those looser dresses just make me look like I'm wearing someone else's clothing now so I'm trying to steer clear of them! Notice I said trying! *LOL*

      Delete
  10. This dress looks great & I love threaded trim -it really steps this up to a specail dress. I love your blog & love reading about your journey . I like that you are the "fancy" one . I'm constantly trying to step up my game or my casual lifestyle & you are a great inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  11. The rick rack makes this dress FUN! Like a dress you would wear on a picnic. If you had added the blue piping, it would have made this dress say "professional business woman". Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - thanks for confirming what I thought about the blue piping. Old habits die hard so I'm constantly having to check myself that I don't do the "same old things" again!

      Delete
  12. I love the border print, so pretty and springy! the rick rack is fun too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great use of the border print - love this fabric and you made into such a pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty, Pretty! Seeing the giant rick rack made me smile. That's a fun touch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The rick rack was a great addition to the dress - it looks amazing! I knew you'd come up with something really creative - you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That print is GORGEOUS! I think you did a fantastic job of print placement and the length is very flattering, IMHO. in fact, I love everything about the dress, except the Rick-rack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nursebennett - your last comment made me LOL! Hey rick rack ain't for everyone but I'm glad that you can appreciate the beauty of the fabric!

      Delete
  18. For what it's worth, I think the shorter length and slimmer silhouette really suits you. Gorgeous fabric, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful dress, and you look lovely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! And it looks very cool and comfortable. I bought this fabric as well and wasn't sure what to do with it, so I gave it to my MIL and she made a beautiful dress. That's before I learned to work with the fabric design and finding a pattern that suits it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty! You've always been the queen of border prints!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with many of the comments. You look wonderful in this shape and it gives you that hourglass look. And you look so young! And happy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The shorter length and nipped in fit is great on you. More!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Koko Beall's designs! And what a great use of that panel print!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love everything about this dress! The closer fit, the rick rack - it's great! I love the pattern and the print placement. g

    ReplyDelete
  26. You and your dress look great! The ricrac trim was inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't like a waistline either, for comfort reasons, but I like the look of a waistline. The rick-rack gives you have the best of both worlds: the comfort of no waistline with the illusion of a waistline. I will definitely keep this in mind when I want the waistline look but the comfort of no waistline! Genius!

    p.s. the fabric is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh this is just gorgeous Carolyn, beautiful use of a panel print and the ric rac just makes it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails