...and here is my version of the dress:
Supply List ~
2.5 yards of a denim linen blend from the collection via my trip to Chicago in 2012
22" invisible zipper
Pattern - altered TNT dress pattern
To make this more shift-like, I straightened out the side seams while cutting the dress out. The sleeves were cut using the selvages as the hemline. I also added a breast pocket to my dress ala the inspiration dress.
Close up of the pocket and sleeves with selvage edges
At first I thought that I would look for a pocket pattern piece. Then I remembered that I had one of those stainless pocket templates so I looked for that. While looking I happened upon my quilting templates (yeah I own a lot of notions) and decided that the 3x3" square template would work just as well for a pocket so that's what I used. I cut it with the selvage as part of the edge and folded it over, pressed and stitched down.
Other than that, there were no additional construction changes to the dress.
A Few Pictures ~
This was an easy to sew, and an easy wearing summer shift dress. It passed the "wearabilty test" with flying colors. I think I interpreted the Pinterest dress well and I'm thrilled to have another me made dress in my wardrobe. I especially love how I used the selvage to accent both the breast pocket and the sleeves adding some visual interest to what could be a very plain dress.
One more item off my summer sewing list. Now onto the next!
...as always more later!