So this year when I moved around some clothing - spring/summer more to the front of the closet and fall/winter towards the back - I moved this dress up to wear. After wearing it in June, I knew I had to make more of these. It was so comfortable and fit the casual yet sophisticated style I'm still seeking. Because I made the blue/white seersucker one last year, I'm starting these with version 2 and 3.
Pink Floral Stretch Rayon or Version 2:
I pulled this pink floral stretch rayon linen blend from the collection. It's funny because when Gaylen visited the cave and touched this fabric on the shelf, she questioned that I bought it. She thought it didn't look like me. At the time I told her that it was for the grandbabies but I did secretly covet it for me. Fast forward and here it is...
3 yards of pink floral stretch linen blend from the collection via Fabric Mart
2 yards of polyester fold over grass green braid from Daytona Trimmings
Construction Info. ~
I did make a few changes for fit to this version. I hated the center front seam so I cut the front on fold. I also cut the front neckline a little closer because I feel like it's just a little loose on the original version. The bustline area was also cut a 1/2" closer to snug it up a little. Finally I left all of the length on the back of the skirt.
I sewed it up and added the bias binding to the neckline and armholes. And...the fit was still a little off...so I made some more adjustments to my pattern. I raised the underarms 1/2" on the front and back pattern pieces. Then I made snips in the upper armhole and folded over 1/4" and taped it down. Another snip was made in the neckline and folded over 1/4" then taped down. This was done to both the front and back pieces. I believe those changes will finesse the fit for my next one.
Unlike my first version, I only added binding to the neckline and armholes. I was going to add it to the hem too but thought it would affect the drape of the dress. The hem was turned up a 1/2" all the way around, pressed down and stitched.
A few more pics ~
Floral Blue and White Lightweight Crepe or Version 3:
This floral blue and white floral lightweight crepe was bought from Fabric Mart last Christmas. I know because I actually documented this fabric's arrival. Also, as much as I love this dress, it is an example of how taking a simple dress and adding a couple of embellishments turns it into a project! Cause this was a project! The pink floral dress took a couple of hours to make. This one has a good eight hours of work in it.
2.5 yards blue & white floral lightweight poly crepe from Fabric Mart
2 yards ivory rayon bemberg lining from the collection via lowprice fabric
5 yards blue/white striped polyester piping from Daytona Trimmings
5 yards jacquard binding from the collection
Construction Info. ~
There are more techniques in this dress because not only was the fabric lightweight but it was also semi-sheer so it needed a lining. I puzzled over how to make this work and finally decided to add a full lining to the dress. I cut the lining using the original dress pattern pieces making it shorter by a couple of inches yet including the low part of the hemline.
The order of construction was:
~Sew the dress together
~Add piping to the neckline and armholes
~Sew the lining together and hem
~Baste the lining to the dress at the neckline and armholes
~Add the piping to the dress' hem
~Sew bias binding to encase the piping in the hem, neckline and armholes
~Topstitch close to the binding to finish off the hem, neckline and armholes
These are not difficult steps...just time consuming...but I think all of that effort was worth it...
Pictures of the dress...
I'm thrilled with these two new versions and I'm putting this pattern away now. It's time to move onto something else. I'm happy that I have three of these in my summer wardrobe. Although after seeing Anne Whalley's on PR, I may pull it back out during the holidays and make a lacy version for Christmas parties.
...as always more later!