Wednesday, August 31, 2016

End of Summer Recap

I usually don't "Cry Uncle" on summer sewing so early but I really want to spend September or at least the first three weeks of it sewing for the girls. Even though September tends to be warmish, I'm good with a month of repeats while I do a little unselfish sewing.

However, I did want to take this opportunity to recap my spring/summer sewing. The best of which was that I got to sew dresses again. I'm sure if you've been following along here for a minute you know how much I love a dress!

I love the denim dresses I made for spring and I fully intend on wearing them during the fall season.  Even though all of them wore well and I'm glad to have them in my wardrobe, my favorite was "The Denim and Faux Leather" Dress.


I started the summer thinking that I would make a load of McCalls 6559 dresses both the short and maxi length versions since they wore so well last summer. However, after sewing a few dresses from my TNT pattern, I realized that I really wanted a more full skirted, flowy maxi dress. So a series of those emerged from the sewing machine.

However, remaking Simplicity 1621 became a priority after I wore last year's version and I ended up with my most comfortable dress of the season.

   
I wore that pink one every where until I had to remind myself that I had other dresses to wear! It has been one very hot and humid summer here so anything that was loose and flowy was a win!

The stars of the summer were the t-shirt dresses ~


They were such stars that I should have made five of them as I originally planned! They dressed up and down, went to work, to church and out to the movies. They worked with heels, flats and sneakers. I will be making more of these with longer sleeves for fall!

My all-time favorite dress of the summer though was the maxi I made from McCalls 7385 ~


This dress was fabulous and made from fabric from Joann's. It totally blew me away that they had such great fabric and that it sewed up into this amazing dress. I got compliments every time I wore it.

I really wanted to make another one before the season ended but time got away from me. However, I did pick a rayon crepe fabric with an autumn feel that if I can find some time, I just may sew it up before fall is over. It would be great with a cardi and some booties.

My total spring/summer sewing breaks out like this ~

10 dresses
5 maxi dresses
5 skirts
2 tops


Equals 22 garments in total - not great but not bad either! Actually I'm thrilled with the variety that I added to my summer wardrobe especially when mixed with what I sewed last summer and what I'd already had on hand.

So a few weeks of unselfish sewing and when we get back to me, I will definitely be sewing fall items!

...as always more later!


23 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an impressive output considering the heat and humidity.

    I was astonished to read in my spreadsheet that I made 18 things, 5 for DD and 13 for me this S/S.

    I look forward to seeing your grandchildren in their new duds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely new summer garments. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your summer sewing. Can't wait to see your sewing for the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth...I'm pretty excited about the possibilities too!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely summer wardrobe! Yes, you look fabulous in your favorite the maxi from McCalls 7385. Looking forward to seeing the new wardrobe for your grandchildren. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina - it turned out so much better than I'd hoped. It has the right amount of close-fitting and loose-fitting to make it a perfect wear this summer!

      Delete
  5. Impressive amount of garments, Carolyn! Anxious to see what you make for the grandchildren. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - I'm sure there will be modeled shots especially because they are such little hams! Only thing since it's National Sewing month those shots probably won't show up here until October!

      Delete
  6. Awesome, I am going to make more things for myself this fall/winter and hopefully I will be able to make a recap post such as this. Great wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle - I honestly can't wait to see what you sew for yourself! I've actually been waiting for this so that I can copy you! hahahahaha!

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you got back to your first love, dresses!! In looking at the pics I could not pick a favorite, there were so many great looks. One surprising one still to me was that you had posted the t shirt dresses on hangers and I had thought ordinary but when you wore them they looked amazing. Taught me that simple can look smashing. Thanks Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula - I think only smaller sizes look good on the hanger. Larger sizes lose their hanger appeal and you have to have a lot of imagination to see them as they would actually wear. I know I shouldn't post hanger shots but I get so excited about what I've sewn. I will try to be more conscious of that fact going forward!

      Delete
  8. Very nice wrapup Carolyn! I'm definitely not good at doing wrapups and I believe I've done only one since I've been a blogger (2010 - insert "sad face" here!). While each of the pieces you made were absolutely adorable, that McCalls 7385 dress, I would have to agree is a "show stopper"! Looking forward to your fall/winter wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra - I'm not consistent about it either! I'm usually happy to write one when I've had a good sewing season. So thanks! I'm looking forward to fall too especially since I know what I want to sew and some of the pressure I felt last fall is gone now.

      Delete
  9. I love your dresses and that you figured a way to get back to them. You made some fabulous pieces and inspired a bunch more. I can't pick a favorite, the maxis are fabulous, but that pink dress was lovely. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love the t-shirt dresses and long for one or two more, the flowy maxis are the winner this summer. Just like the McCalls 5669 maxis were perfect last summer. I think I just love a good maxi!

      Delete
  10. Loved your recap....I think 22 garments is amazing. I've loved your blog from the begining, but the first time I've posted....I sewed with a "plan" this summer, with a river cruise in mind....lots of fun having a goal....think I may do that for my winter sewing. Have 2 summer/early fall tops to finish and then I'll be planning as well. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura and I'm so glad that you're commenting. Feel free to keep on commenting! *LOL* And congratulations on sewing with a plan this summer...didn't it feel good!?!

      Delete
  11. With all our exhausting heat this summer your lovely sewing output is even more impressive. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails