Thursday, September 01, 2016

September is National Sewing Month



I have a couple of holidays that are really special to me.  Easter because it symbolizes the rebirth - not just a Christian rebirth but also how the earth is budding & blooming in Spring.  Then Christmas is also a favorite. I love Christmas and the way that it's celebrated, as well as why it's celebrated. 

However, as a sewist one of the best months of the year is September because it celebrates the craft that I love. First a little history of the month, President Ronald Reagan declared September as National Sewing Month in 1982, saying that it was in recognition of the importance of home sewing to our Nation.

I may not have liked much about Ronald Reagan and his Presidency but I'm forever grateful for that declaration! Every September for the last 34 years we've celebrated National Sewing Month! Yes!!!

Some years I've made note of it here on the blog but this year I decided that I really wanted to celebrate it in a huge way! I wanted both you and I to revel in the awesomeness of our artform. To that end, I've planned a month of giveaways and discounts. A couple of guest posts and a few clothing posts.

I hope that you will come back for each event, that you will participate in the giveaways, that you will leave comments on the guest bloggers posts and ask a question or two, that you will take advantage of the discounts...but most especially that you revel in the fact that for 30 days, we sewists can celebrate the thing we love so much!


So Happy National Sewing Month!


...stay tuned for a month of C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-I-O-N!













28 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the fun you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Great idea to get the party started:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun - can't wait to see what you have "up your sleeve "

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. Really looking forward to seeing what you will be posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Ronald Reagan! Can't imagine the Dutch King ever recognising the importance of home sewing. I vote for a happy International Sewing Month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how fun. I'm looking forward to it, though maybe this year we need to extend the fun through November.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're always so imaginative and au courant. Love your blog! I am looking for the rest of September (and beyond) with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Carolyn and HAPPY NATIONAL SEWING MONTH TO YOU,ALSO !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Yeap...the only good that I can think of that came out of that Presidency! 😄

      Delete
  10. I am excited to see what you have in store. g

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, I will be sure to stay tuned. I have been a lurker on your site for years, and only just got my G account together to be able to post a comment. You really help to fill a large demgraphic among fashion sewists. Thank you!!! Your poss always make my day.

    This past year I was laid off from my job and 8 months in, still looking, just past my mid fifties, and used to a much dressier work wardrobe than my peers. I went to work in the 80s - the power suit decade - and I dressed myself in beautiful ensembles in style. I am still in the process of a revamp, and getting used to a new body shape and measurements. But so happy to be part of a thriving community.

    I too LOVE FabricMart, and have been to the store twice. My favorite sewing "exercise" is to throw a bundle into the latest order, and work through all of the unexpected fibers, colors, weight, etc. of those pieces, and some can really be wild and a challenge. But I always learn so much from doing that, and it's fun. And any piece I really can't work with can be given to a good home.

    Looking forward to hearing more of what you have in store.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be'll be tuning in and checking back!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know that about the history of "National Sewing Month." I always thought the sewing stores proclaimed it to sell us more stuff. LOL Thanks for the history lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woohoo! Looking forward to the celebration of National Sewing Month with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Carolyn! I'm looking forward to a great sewing month with you as my coach!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you in the reveling of sewing. Woohoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sewing is the best stress reliever for me. NO need for pills.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am celebrating September by sewing every single day. Even if it's just sewing on a button. Join me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome! I love National Sewing Month too. I usually end up watching sewing demonstrations on one of the TV shopping networks (HSN I believe). I like seeing the newest machines, gadgets, and what-not. I look forward to celebrating with your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did NOT know it was national sewing month! This is awesome-I've challenged myself to sew every day of this month, at least half an hour. I tend to let life take over and my machines and tools sit there gathering dust. But it also affects my mood-I need, NEED, to work with fabric every day. It improves my mood, it sharpens my mental faculties, it relaxes me, it soothes and calms me (well...usually! LOL!) It's my thing, and I really should spend more time with it, and MAKE it important in my life every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Sewing Month, Carolyn! What a wonderful way to celebrate it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails