Sunday, November 20, 2016

Vogue 9122 - Ummmm No!

I don't know what it is with me pulling out older patterns and using them. I know when I bought this pattern, I had a very professional look in mind for the dress. I could see it's potential and wrote about it in this post.



Of course it's taken me a year to actually get around to it and what peaked my interest again is that it's become a Butterick See 'n Sew pattern. When I saw the pattern in the new collection, I knew I had the original in my stash and my mind started to wander. See now I'm specifically looking for patterns that I would have used before. I want to make or remake them in denim for this stage of my life.

But I never finished the jumper because I ran into issues that I just didn't want to fix.

Supplies I used ~
Fabric: 
Denim from Stylemaker Fabrics - part of the 10 yards I purchased
Remnants from EOS that I used in this dress

Notions:
22" invisible navy zipper

Pattern Alterations ~
I added 2" at the lengthen/shorten line and an inch at the hemline.  This jumper was looking short in the pattern pics and I only found one of these made up on-line.

I also added a half inch to the front and back side seams. A half inch was added to the center front seam from the abdomen to the hemline. While the finished pattern measurements fit me, I wanted a slightly looser look, more jumper like. 

When sewing up the pattern, I omitted the darts in the back of the dress.

A few pictures below ~ 






Problems with this dress:
1. Too tight - even after I took some extra out of the seams
2. Shoulders are rolling forward
3. Armholes are too wide and need a dart
4. Neckline too high and too tight against the neck
5. Rounded shoulder adjustment needed

I pinned out a few of the alterations to see if I would like it better ~




I decided that there were quite a few alterations needed to make this workable and I just decided no. I didn't want to do them. It's easier to recycle the fabric and the zipper than it is to work out the problems. I guess if I had muslined the pattern I would have seen these issues but I probably would have done the same thing then...ditched the pattern. So this is a dud and I'm moving on. It's just too much work for a Very Easy Vogue pattern dress that's even supposed to be lined.

Since it's the beginning of Thanksgiving week here in the US, next up is sewing for my daughter. I really want to make her a few pieces for her work wardrobe. I also want to sew during my Thanksgiving break without having to worry about fit challenges. She was here this afternoon and pulled fabric for new outfits. We will be using McCalls 6886 (which is my go to pattern for her), New Look 6482 for the cardigan and New Look 6481 for the jacket, skirt and tee.

I think I can knock out quite a few pieces for her during the 4 day weekend especially since Thanksgiving is not at my house this year! I will sew for myself during Christmas Break.


...as always more later!

25 comments:

  1. I can quite understand you not wanting to go further with this dress. If your heart's not in it, it will never come out right. Hopefully you can use that fabric combination elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the wisdom to know when to fold them. Thanks for sharing that insight.

    Your daughter is lucky to have you. We're all lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you ditched this pattern and the fact that you can reuse the fabric makes the decision easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Looked like it had potential too. But experience lets you know it's time to move on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Carolyn, for sharing that. When a sewing pro like you has a "uhmmmm........no", it sure makes a sewer like me feel better! 😀 Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nursebennett - thanks for the comment and coming back! It's appreciated more than you know!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh dear. I know you could have fixed it, but sometimes life is too short. Thanks for sharing the throws as well as the sews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Carolyn totally the right call on ditching this. Move on. I really want a jumper/ pinafore style myself...just got a vintage pattern but need to find the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, ditch it. Just does not translate into a flattering garment. Lucky daughter getting some mom made garments! Hope all goes well with those :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup. Too many moving parts need moving, and even when you get them put right....it's nothing that special. If you do like the front piece, you can probably take a TNT and add a piece like that to the front and save yourself the hours of fixing this one.
    Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, that's too bad! I can totally relate though…When is not worth your time, it's always best to move on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad to see you also have times when the designs don't work out!! Makes me feel better to know an experienced sewer still has times when you have to say, "um...... NO!" .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your instinct to ditch the pattern/dress is right on. Some of Vogue's Very Easy patterns are just not well drafted. In their effort to make simple styles they overlook simple fitting issues and the result is disappointing. Enjoy Thanksgiving and sewing for your daughter who, I'm sure, will appreciate your time and talent. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really appreciate your honesty in sewing & life ! It's very nice to know that even you have misses & that you are willing to share . I have a tendency just to keep going & make it right -then never wear it . You've made me realize I need to be honest on a miss & make lemonade !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually it's encouraging when you share something that doesn't work. Calling something a wadder and recycling what you can is frequently a good call. If it's not easily fixed, why turn what should be enjoyable into a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you are getting into using denim. It is my go-to fabric for pants and is just so functional and comfortable. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this! I have that pattern in my stash. If I make it I will be very careful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures show the kinds of problems I run into quite often. Bad fit and don't know how to fix it. I am finding that any kind of yoke across my narrow shoulders cannot be made to accommodate my rather large bust below it! This is a "generic" problem with some pattern styles?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it's already been said, but a big THANK YOU for telling it like it is. You are a skilled master sewer, but some patterns just don't work. You're generous with explaining how to correct problems, but also when to say Enough! and move on.
    It gives me courage to do the same. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your honesty and I agree with your decision. The good part of your post is that you can continue to sew your beloved professional clothing, but now for your daughter. What fun! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the pattern at home, but I am trying to figure out how to make it work. I have these to fabrics from Mood. Do you think they would be too heavy?

    http://www.moodfabrics.com/italian-dark-citron-stretch-polyester-charmeuse-312023.html

    http://www.moodfabrics.com/black-hunter-green-and-copper-abstract-metallic-jacquard-311087.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara - I personally think you shouldn't waste your fabric on this pattern.

      Delete
  21. Sorry this did not work out! Life is too short to keep fiddling with some patterns that you just know in the end you want like. I am sure your daughter will appreciate the new garments!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I applaud your decision to cut your losses and move on! Our free time is too precious and you have enough experience to know when it's worth saving.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails