Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Three Times the Charm

So I lied. Let's just start right there. When I saw this Isaac Mizrahi top on QVC, I knew that Simplicity 8094 would be the perfect jumping off place to make my own version. 

Here's a picture of the inspiration garment ~


A picture of me wearing my version of the inspiration garment ~


Supplies used in this top ~
Fabric:
Brown ponte from Fabric Mart via the collection
Floral print ponte from Tessuti Fabrics via the collection

Notions:
foldover elastic binding from Pacific Trimmings
stay tape

The only change I made to this version was to add 4" of length to the back piece. The hemline was then rounded off to duplicate the back of the inspiration top.


Seriously, I made this just like the other two except I didn't two tone the sleeves...just added a little foldover elastic to the neckline. I even added the godets, in brown ponte so they blend in yet give a little extra swing & space to the top.

A few pictures of this top ~




Conclusion ~
If the photos are a little blurry, it's because they were taken on my iPad. My coworker and I took them around the corner from my job. I work by Herald Square and since they've built these pedestrian spaces, we thought they would serve as a great background.

This top was a quick sew. I finished it over the weekend. So of course I wore it to work yesterday...I mean that's one of the reasons I sew...to have new stuff to wear!

This time I'm not going to say that I'm putting the pattern away because who knows.  There just might be a fourth version of this before I do it again in merino wool. It's such an easy top to wear, comfortable, on trend and works well with my RTW ponte jeans.

Next up on the cutting table is another top. I went back and forth over what to make next and I really just wanted another new top - so top it is! Here's the sneak peek of the top in progress on Instagram.

...as always more later!



25 comments:

  1. Such a great top! Now your inspiration has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that tunic! Aren't tunics great? And they can be as much or as little work as you design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene - tunics have become my friend! I'm finding I see tunics everywhere now like how I use to see dresses everywhere.

      Delete
  3. This is a great top, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I was chuckling, I watch QVC for inspiration as well. The Lori Grenstein tunics are wonderful, as are her cardi's. And Susan Graver has some nice knit things now as well. rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge Susan Graver fan probably because she talks tooooooo much but there is a lot of inspiration to be found on QVC especially now that I need more casual clothing.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha! I guess some lies are okay then! :)

    It is very cute and and I love the colors and scale of the floral. Nice print for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keisha! I'm almost to the point where I'm back to wearing something me-made everyday...almost.

      Delete
  6. I love seeing what you are working on and what you've made. You inspire me to get back to sewing garments!!! Thank you so much for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I've been holding onto that piece of fabric from Tessuti for a minute so I'm glad it ended up being used well.

      Delete
  8. The inspiration top looks great! What you are working on now is stellar too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I'm really thrilled about this piece because it will be one of my first denim interpretations of a look I use to wear in my professional life.

      Delete
  9. I got 5 minutes to look at emails and read a blog or 2. Love love love this top! Love the 2 fabrics, love how it so closely matches the inspiration. You are a rock star!! Would you design my wardrobe for the next version of my life? I'm really, really tired of wearing RTW (and it's only been 3 weeks).

    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to help you plan a new wardrobe especially if you let me sew in your new sewing room some!

      Delete
  10. You picked a perfect backdrop - nice top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love that backdrop too! Sweet! No need for you to revert your statement on making up this great pattern again, if it's a quick sew, you get a great fit and great look, we're all in! Love this total look on you, so stylish, relaxed and comfy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra - I know that this isn't what the pattern is supposed to look like but since I've totally remade it I should use it right?

      Delete
  12. Nothing wrong in getting good use out of a pattern! This really does look like your inspiration piece, it's a good way of using up remnants and makes for a great outfit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison - thanks and I probably will be making more of this tunic because it just works for my lifestyle now.

      Delete
  13. This is really nice C, and I love the photo with the colourful bears. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails