Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Where is the Fall?

October was a funny month for me sewing and weather wise. I started the month sharing some of the garments I made for the granddaughters in September. I only shared a few posts of the pieces I made for them because I was starting to get bored. I have a couple more that I may post before the end of the year.



Sewing for me has been slow this month while acquiring has been on the uptick! I bought a few more shirtings (Fabric Mart had a good sale but then when don't they?!) a lot of denim (from a couple of different sources) and a couple of Indie patterns. All were bought in my quest to make interesting and amazing blouses, tops and jackets for my fall/winter wardrobe.



I've sewn three pieces, finished a UFO and fixed a garment by changing it from a dress to a top. To me my finished stats for this month are low but I have to admit that I don't have the same driving need/force propelling me to produce garments for myself as I did when I was in a more professional setting...and yes Kristy I miss sewing more professional garments!



Also since I've figured out who I want to be in this stage of my life, my projects are either going to be really simple relying on fabric and flights of fancy to make them interesting...or a little more complex when I start working on toppers/jackets.

As I mentioned in my last post, sewing for my daughter is going to figure prominently this month. I'm finding that I like unselfish sewing now. I get to just sew and make pretty things without a lot of the fitting angst I'm experiencing for myself. Wow ~ can't believe I just typed that! *LOL*

So November should be an interesting month since I definitely plan to buy less and sew more for grown-up people! BTW, if you haven't noticed, I'm trying to blog more. Hopefully you'll stop by more often since I'm trying to have content here at least twice a week. 

Finally here's a sneak peek at the inspiration for my next top ~


Cause why buy when I can make my own ~ no matter how inexpensive the original is! 

...as always more later!



18 comments:

  1. I love that you are blogging more !!! Your recent tops are very, very stylish & I always appreciate the tips you give !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always happy to see more blog posts - I read yours first every time! I really like the floral top (formerly dress), and there is a lesson here for us all. I am often tempted by a big colourful floral, make a shift dress of whatever pattern is current, and then feel rather matronly wearing it. Next time that happens, I know what to do.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to your blog first when I am reading blogs. I'm always happy to see a new post. Your posts are always entertaining and helpful. I loved the blue floral dress and was sort of sad to see it become a top. I did not think it looked matronly at all. Still, it made a beautiful top. You do not have to blog more, just keep blogging. Don't stop. Okay? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your October posts and looking forward to November's. I wanted you to know that you have inspired to review, "What type of sewing do I enjoy at this stage in my life?" I have found that fashion sewing although I do enjoy it is not my top priority. I now really enjoy crafty DIY projects especially sewing & designing aprons! Keep blogging, you have truly been a joy to follow throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's tempting to purchase RTW when they're inexpensive but sewing offers a perfect fit and quality fabrics. Plus these sewn garments last much longer. You know this, of course, and it's a good reminder for those of us with a sizeable fabric stash and we get the satisfaction of making the garment. Thanks for your ramped up postings, Carolyn! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay to more blog posts! I love seeing your creations, and can't wait to see what you do to knock off the Isaac Mizrahi top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pardon my caps, but I TOTALLY get the 'sewing for others' reasoning. My son just gets taller, not wider. Costumes for the theater are more collages than practical dressmaking.
    I think I always enjoy alterations because they make sad things happy again. People seem to think sewing is a miracle, and who are you and I to make them think otherwise?

    I do look forward to your posts, even if you didn't sew a thing. You're the positive voice in the week; bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Mizrahi top!! Doooo it! :)

    I really love your floral top! Swoon. Fun to see what turns out for November.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your posts no matter how much time has passed between them. I just linked your blog to Feedly so I don't miss any. BTW, I do not think it is possible to overload us with darling, cute granddaughters in Grandma custom-mades! Post the pictures in a "multiple" shot like the tunics at the beginning of this post if you get bored. Then we get to see all the ways you varied a TNT for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carolyn! I love seeing your posts and I love your blogging style. I love your October makes and look forward to what's coming in November. You inspire me to be a great blogger. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tops you've made and am looking forward to your Mizrahi-inspired addition and upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn, I love your more casual style! The items you've made are really pretty and so very inspiring! Now being retire from corporate myself, I'm struggling with my new casual lifestyle wardrobe. I'll be making more casual clothing, when I figure out my casual style, LOL! Good luck and I will be stopping by to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been hard to dress one day it's 70 and the next its 39 - trying to find my sewing mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THIS is it: "I've figured out who I want to be at this stage of my life . . . ." That clarity will help you select sewing projects that give you true joy, both in the creating and the wearing of them. Often sewing is to create garments to "fit in" -- be it "work appropriate," to reflect trends others are picking up on, or to get on board with whatever styles the Big Four are pushing each season. "Me" sewing is pure fun because you're accounting to nobody but yourself. The sky's the limit on how conservative or outrageous you want to be in each garment, and the only thing that matters is whether it gives YOU joy. Looking forward to seeing your brilliant smiles as you model future creations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you've made great headway on how to dress for your new situation. I love your new tunics! And ditto for that wonderful brown sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As they said! And I really like your hairstyle with bangs! Love reading whenever you post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tops but I LOVE your bangs. So flattering.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails