Sunday, February 05, 2017

Cashmerette Turner Tunic


I really like this pattern cause y'all know I love a dress but dresses only figure predominantly in my wardrobe from late May to September. Somehow a dress in the spring/summer works in my very casual office but not so much in the fall/winter. So I don't wanna wait until spring to make a version of the Turner Dress, that's why I decided to work on a tunic version first.



I went with a border print ponte recently purchased from Chic Fabrics to give it a little oomph. I'm slowly bringing myself around to the "I can wear any color, print, etc. I want camp" even though this is still a print on a black background! *LOL*


How I posted the fabric and pattern to Instagram

Pattern Alterations ~
Now there aren't many of those because Jenny has thought of most things that a plus size sewist needs to do to make a pattern fit and they are incorporated into the pattern.

But it is winter and the neckline was quite low on me, so starting with the bodice front for a C/D cup, I added 2" to raise the neckline per Jenny's instructions in this blog post


Construction Deets ~
I cut it out originally in a size 22 front and a 24 back and size 22 sleeves, put it on and thought ummmmm no. It was way too tight. Some of the tightness could be attributed to using a ponte with minimum stretch and some may be attributed to the fact that the pattern pieces are cut on the cross grain which could be affecting the little stretch the ponte possessed.

Since I bought three yards of the fabric, I recut the front using the 26 E/F cup and the 24 back. I needed all of my extra in the front. I'd already cut the skirt using the border for the bottom of the skirt. There wasn't enough fabric leftover to recut the skirt so I "made the bodice" fit the skirt. A good press helped make it work too.

The original sleeves that I cut from the border print ponte were too tight and I despise tight sleeves. When I went to recut them there wasn't enough fabric for them even when I tried to piece them together. So I pulled out my trusty black ponte fabric (which has a little more stretch) and cut new sleeves from it. If I look closely, I can see the slight difference in the fabric but since the print is so vibrant, that is what your eye is drawn too.



Designer Deets ~
I wish I was capable of just sewing a pattern out of the envelope as the pattern designer made it but I'm not.

Here are the changes I made to the pattern:
1. Made it tunic length
2. Gave the side hems shark tooth hemlines to emphasize the border print.
3. Used Jenny's instructions to raise the neckline
4. Instead of lining the top with self fabric, I used black foldover elastic to finish off the neckline. 

Some pictures of the tunic in action ~




Conclusion ~
I like the ease of this pattern. How easy it is to sew. How easy it is to interpret and change up using fabric and details...and how easy it is to wear. I don't know if I will make another tunic but it will definitely be on my spring/summer to-sew list. I'd like one with a very full skirt and calf length in a lightweight knit. It will be a perfect spring/summer dress and will have more fabric to cover the abundance of behind that I have.

Also, I took these pictures myself. My daughter and the grand kids are all under the weather. I've forgotten how hard it is to take my own photos and I applaud all of you who do!

One more thing, most of these pictures are taken with me wearing sneakers because honestly this is my footwear choice most days. I'm slowly but surely buying interesting pairs of sneakers cause they're fun and since I can wear them to work, I might as well.

...as always more later!



75 comments:

  1. As usual, I did not want this pattern until I see what you did with it. Absolutely love how you used the border print. I am new to the blogging world and am so enjoying seeing what everyone is making. I used to sew the majority of my clothes. Then I got lumpy and bumpy and the fitting became so hard. I am trying to get back to it. I wrote earlier how some of your blogs just made me cry because how well you state your views and how close they are to what I am feeling. I go from blog to blog and the majority have yours listed. It's first on my list! Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean - I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. However, may I say that you should just keep sewing. I know it's a little more challenging now that we've fluffed up a little but it's so much more gratifying when you get something sewn that fits well and makes you feel good too! So keep sewing!

      Delete
    2. Aw, I was going to check out your blog since it sounds like we have plenty in common Jean. But when I click on your profile it only shows your profile, no blog. If you want to change that I believe you would do it in settings.

      Delete
    3. I just got internet back at home last April so I could work from home. The whole blogger thing is brand new to me so suffice to say I do not have my own blog. People who know me would fall on the flooring at the suggestion. Very un-tech person, here.

      Delete
  2. Well I think you look awesome in this tunic, and I love the way you manipulated the border print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You look gorgeous such a smile! I love this fabric too. I'm not no longer much of a dress wearer mainly jeans, shorts or skorts. But I can definitely see a few tunics added to my style line especially with border prints.
    Blessings, Baa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baa - I've decided to take all of my dress patterns and shorten them into tunics. I mean why not? Especially since I own so many dress patterns!

      Delete
  4. This is so cute on you. Very flattering hemline too with the border print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - if I was using a solid fabric I wouldn't have used the sharktooth hemline but it worked so well with carrying the border print from the front to the back!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! It's not something I usually wear so I'm happy with it too!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. DK - Thanks but I think that is all the fabric's doing! It was a good fabric buy!

      Delete
  7. Love, love and love, Carolyn! This fabric is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great sew! You make such a clever use of the border print, and it looks amazing. I love how you see the possibilities of a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - that is the best part to me, taking a pattern and interpreting it into something I see in my minds eye. Sometimes the fabric is the reason why and sometimes I'm inspired by something I've seen.

      Delete
  9. This is such a jazzy tunic and you look so spunky modelling it! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - I'm always scared that the pics I take aren't going to look as good as the ones my daughter takes especially since she takes loads of them. Where I get annoyed after 20 pics of myself so I was glad to get a couple of good shots!

      Delete
  10. This is such a stunning use of a border print . Also love how you made this pattern yours !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryEllen - I do seem to be incapable of using a pattern as the pattern designer designed it...*smile*

      Delete
  11. Oooh, I love this! Great use of the border print and I love the funky hem detail you added!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! That means alot since you made a great tester version of this dress.

      Delete
  12. Oooh! You'll have to tell the cute sneaker source when you find good ones. My office is casual too, and plain boring shoes are... well, just boring!

    Love the tunic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - I've bought two great pair from Nine West and these in the picture are from Clarks. They are suede and leather and I own them in black and brown.

      Delete
  13. I love it, Carolyn! First Turner tunic I've seen, but I'm sure not the last. The pattern placement is fantastic - and yes I think if you went with a jersey and didn't have it on the cross grain you probably wouldn't have had to size up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to make it again as a mid-calf length dress with some more swing for summer. I can see it in my minds eye. Just need spring to come...please come! Hurry up and come! *LOL*

      Delete
  14. Lovely tunic! And it's great to see you smiling again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele - I know we have to keep going and that I can't give into despair but I'm not feeling any better about this administration. Thanks for liking the tunic!

      Delete
  15. Great use of fabric...love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tunic looks amazing! What a difference fabric choice makes. And you look great in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - thanks! I love fabric and I love unusual fabric as you can tell!

      Delete
  17. I love that print! I am amazed that you had the fabric left for a rescue after you decided you had cut the front too small at first! I almost never leave myself that kind of grace. Maybe I should rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara - I always buy more fabric than I need. You just never know when inspiration is going to strike and make you go in a different direction than you thought when you bought the fabric. Plus I hate, hate, hate, getting a great idea for something and not having enough fabric. I'd rather have more than less!

      Delete
  18. What a great top! The colours suit you and the print placement is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cannot state how much I love this top. You rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning! Love how you made such great use of a border print. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - first thanks for liking the blog, I appreciate you following my sewing adventures. Second, it was a great border print so it was easy to use.

      Delete
  21. After years of submittting to the 'office uniform'(heels, suits, etc.) and church attire (more heels, dresses, suits, hats, etc.)--I am now semi-retired. I seem to lean more toward slacks, leggings, and have adopted the 'M.O.' (Michelle Obama) shoe status (lower heels and flats). So I understand. Love-love-love that tunic. I like the honesty of including your sewing dilemmas--sooner or later, we all hit the wall. Nice to know how other sewists find their way back to the light. When I see dresses my first thought is how can I wear this style with pants? You're doing it Carolyn--proving it can be done--and you do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - can I say that you write the best comments! Seriously! I'm always thrilled when you leave one. I have to admit that I still crave dresses...I just love a dress and can't wait for warm weather when I can go back to sewing them.

      Delete
  22. I love it! Amazing use of the border print!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so gorgeous on you. I love the way the print frames your face. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I tried to use as much of the print for the bodice front as possible and I'm so glad it worked.

      Delete
  24. Those colors are really great on you. More red and black! I love the cut too, very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny but honestly it's another one of those silhouettes that I'm going to have to get use to wearing. I've stayed away from waist seams so it's interesting to see this one on me.

      Delete
  25. Love love love this on you! Soft, vibrant - perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TinaLou thanks! It is a pretty cool top thanks for liking it!

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. Mimi - it's the border print that gives it the playfulness! Thanks!

      Delete
  27. CAROLYN IN SNEAKERS?!?! I love it!! You are the pattern placement queen- your border print wizardry is top notch, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurl you've seen me in sneakers before! But as an everyday thing yeah that is new! Thank you, thank you for the compliments on the pattern matching!

      Delete
  28. Oh my, my, my! I love this so much! You are you said the border print is absolutely stunning! I truly appreciate how you did not give up on the sleeves were too tight and recut them, I would have to! Great job and is Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look amazing and that Dress/Top is gorgeous. I love your style Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! That's high praise coming from you because you have an amazing style yourself!

      Delete
  30. Super cute! Love your hair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful tunic and very clever use of a border print fabric. Very inspiring.
    thank you
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it! Great use of the fabric, glad you could save it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne - thanks so much and that's because I'm a fabric piggy and always buy more than I need. In situations like this I'm always glad I did!

      Delete
  33. This is gorgeous. You did a great use of the fabric, and great recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen - thanks so much it is a great piece of fabric isn't it?!

      Delete
  34. This look so RTW in a good way with yiur great use of the border print. 🖒🖒🖒

    ReplyDelete
  35. "sharktooth hem"... gotta keep that in mind.
    This top looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha - thanks! Didn't I have the shell of it hanging when you were in the Sewing Cave?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails