Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vogue 8623 is Done

This is the third piece in my SWAP Collection, "Midnight at the Oasis."  It's my "Your Choice" piece - chosen because I want it to go over everything in the collection.

Usually I have a list of alterations that I've made to the pattern to make it work for me...not so this time!  Because this is a "Custom Fit Pattern" that allows you to choose your cup size for your front pieces...and because this is a generously cut princess seam jacket pattern...I needed to make no alterations to either the jacket or the sleeves.

I can't remember the last time that I was able to sew a garment from the pattern without making ANY alterations!!!  So for the fact alone I love this jacket and plan to make it again!  Okay, some pics:


Jacket on Lulu open


Jacket on Lulu buttoned



A glimpse of the lining



A back view showing the pleat

Some stats:

Fabric:
navy wool tweed blend from the Vera Lavendar collection on fabric.com
light blue polyester lining also from the Vera Lavendar collection

Notions:
4 large blue & gold buttons from M&J Trimmings
4 large covered snaps from Pacific Trimmings

Construction:
The outer shell construction is pretty straightforward.  If you choose to make the jacket, just make sure that you carefully mark the pleat notches on the back jacket pattern piece.  Forming the back pleat is what gives the jacket interest and it's easy to do if you mark the fabric correctly.

The lining is what held me up.  I don't know what it is about me and jacket linings but I always feel like I need to take a deep breathe and set aside alot of time because each one makes me feel inadequate...even though this one inserts fairly easily, I did dance around it awhile before settling down and inserting it.  However, I did not serge finish the ends of the lining fabric which raveled terribly.  I stitched each seam twice - 1/8" between stitching lines and using my pinking shears, pinked each edge.  Then I pressed the seam lines flat.  Although I did serge finish the neckline and the hems of the sleeves and the jacket. 



The only change I made to the pattern was to fold over the fronts of the jackets 1" and attach the lining that way.  The pattern instructs you to make a second front from the fabric and interface it.  I just thought that with the fabric I was using this would make the front very bulky.  If you are using a smooth fabric, this won't be a problem, but no one wants all of that extra fabric on the front of them!



The lining was probably the most time-consuming issue besides all of the hand stitching needed to apply the snaps and the buttons.  Because even though the pattern envelope shows the jacket with buttons and buttonholes, the pattern instructions recommends buttons and snaps.

So three pieces down and eight more to go! *LOL*  I'm going to work on the bottoms next.  I'm making two pairs of pants from my TNT pattern and then I'm going to work on the tops.  With my trip to Moods, I bought the last piece of fabric that I need to make the tops and that will allow me to finish up the rest of the garments in the collection.  However, I have to tell you that I'm aching, I mean aching to work on a dress!  *LOL*  See I have a problem...

...as always, more later!

47 comments:

  1. That fabric is beautiful. Love the whole jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I have several of those custom cup sized patterns in the stash. Now I am more excited about sewing them up! No alterations!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Really* great jacket. The large back pleat is such a stylish design feature. I love that the jacket is navy, and not the usual black. Can't wait to see a shot of you modelling it with the rest of your pieces - I bet it looks great on!

    BTW - your version looks 100 times better than the pattern photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this jacket. Now that's what I call a foundation piece, something you can truly build a wardrobe around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely jacket - what beautiful fabric. As always, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, it's gorgeous! That lining is divine. I can't wait to see the rest of your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was worth the time you put in on the lining. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jacket looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely jacket. I really like this style of jacket. The fabric is very nice and it will go so well with the dresses you made already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks beautiful!! What a cute style. It will be so versatile. This is one of those jackets you can throw on with jeans or wear to the office. I just really, really like it!!
    So, how much of the VW fabric have you gotten? I just placed another order -- I love what I have already received. Once it was $1.95 per yard, it was hard to resist!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful jacket and the fabric is wonderful. I feel the same way about jacket linings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one gorgeous jacket Carolyn. I really am a sucker for this style jacket. The pleat just makes it I think.
    Thank you for the nice comment on my blouse. This is the first blouse/shirt I've made in a long time and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute cute cute...I love your jacket and that is one beautiful fabric

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so stylish, love the fabric choice. A great teaser to the launch of your latest Midnight at Oasis collection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very chic, elegant. It has a retro feel. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your jacket is beautiful and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome jacket! LOVE the pleat!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love how this turned out, I think I said this when it was still in progress but the back pleat and fabric are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice work. I think this jacket styling is sensational. I love the pleat at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love everything about this jacket. The style is beautiful, very elegant. I love the fabric and the lining is just right - it tones well but the lighter colour is so pretty and gives it a lovely 'lift'. This is the kind of jacket that will go well with any outfit, from jeans to dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so pretty. I love your choice of fabric and colors. Thank your for the tips I hope mine turns out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another beautiful piece in the collection. Can't wait to see you model the jacket with your other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great jacket! I must say, I love the dress form photos. I like photos on you, as well, of course, but it's easier to see the details of the clothes on the form. Thanks for the tip about the custom fit patterns. I'll have to check that out the next time I make something for my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is really, really cute, Carolyn! Can I borrow it?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The jacket turned out wonderful. I feel the same way about lining, always have to wrap my head around the best way to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful jacket! I'm still in love with that fabric and that it's in navy instead of black. Such a versatile piece. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's a gorgeous jacket. The fabric is fantastic and it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are in dress withdrawal are you? :) Your jacket is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great jacket! This is such a classic piece that you can wear for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it! Your SWAP collection is going to be outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a great jacket and so classic. I bet you get lots of wear from this design.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your jacket turned out great. I love how your SWAP is progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the jacket. In fact, after I saw yours in process, I bought the pattern. So, will be visiting frequently to see how you did it, especially that lining. Also, thanks for the tip about the custom cup size. I am hoping it will enable a better fit for me through the shoulders and neck. You are an inspiration, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi..love your blog. Your fabric looks alot like the fabric I used for my coat. I also bought it from Fabric.com, but was called Russian tweed black, which actually turned out to be a darkish brown.
    I really like this pattern...thanks for reviewing it. I've been eyeing that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your jacket looks lovely, and the tweed fabric will coordinate well with so many other fabrics. Isn't it wonderful when you don't have to make any alterations! You are making great progress on your SWAP. Three pieces, including the jacket, which is one of the more labor intensive pieces. It seems like you planned out your SWAP work load really well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stunning - that blue lining is just so perfect in that jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You can't even tell you labored over the lining so much.

    It's so ironic that what you can't see is what makes the coat something to be reckoned with but that blue lining is FABULOUS!

    After all your work, Would you recommend everyone have their hand at it?

    ReplyDelete
  38. I so love this jacket. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How nice, I like the blue lining to!
    I have a question to ask yo about what size to select for Vogue pattern.
    You explain us, that you use the vogue pattern so long that you know exactly what size to use. And for this jacket you make no alteration at all (how nice taht they add cup-size in they pattern ;-)
    Can you share a little more about this, please?
    For me, when I select patttern by measurment, they run allays too large, and 2 size too large... But for some of them, more close fitted, they tend to run not so large and at the end a little to small!
    Have you some heuristics, or tricks to share with us? Do you unfold the pattern to mesure them and see what size to select, do you know, something like if it's fitted, I will use this size (one or 2 down-size), if it's semi-fitted I will use this other size... or it's just experience to work with old friends?!
    Well, what are your secret ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your jacket just is "Loverlies"!!! It turned out so nice and I just love the fact you named your dress form Lulu! I named mine Myrna ;-)

    Ma Ma Ma...Marvelous Myrna>

    Sewing is "sew" much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous jacket! It looks so nice and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a beautiful jacket! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is a GREAT jacket. I wish I had your skills. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails