Sunday, January 21, 2018

A New Collaboration and a New TNT Shirt

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Elliott Berman's fabrics.  If you come to visit the NYC Garment District either with me or ask for my recommendations, Elliott Berman is ALWAYS on the list. 


So I was thrilled and honored when Eugenia of Elliott Berman asked me to collaborate with them. Over the course of this year, I will be making several garments from fabric that can be purchased either on their website or at their site in NYC.

During the last decade or so that I've been blogging, I've made a few garments with fabric purchased from Elliott Berman. My favorite being this Versace Inspired Dress that I made in 2011 using a wool knit.


Why do I love Elliott Berman fabrics?
One reason is the quality of their fabrics. They import a selection of unique fabrics, designer goods, the diversity of their inventory and the fair pricing for the goods. Also, they are a great friend to the sewing community - sponsoring events with PatternReview.

It also didn't hurt that my friend Shams is blogging for them and spoke so highly of how easy it was to work with Eugenia and the team at Elliott Berman.  Now you don't have to go to another blog to see my makes, all of them will be here alongwith some pics on Instagram.

So this is my first garment for them - a TNT shirt from my Crazy 8 Wardrobe. 


I chose a printed cotton sateen with a tribal inspired influence for my shirt. I asked Eugenia for a shirting fabric to use as my first make. We were walking the floor and she was pulling out various fabrics for me to look at. When we got to this one, it was love at first sight!

Now while I picked this one from the NYC store/warehouse, here are some on their website that you can order if you're looking for a high quality, interesting print for a shirt. 

This is my TNT shirt pattern so there are no new techniques with this shirt. However, for this version I chose to use a mandarin collar instead of a stand and separate collar. 


To make the shirt interesting I manipulated the fabric, cutting the stripes horizontally for the cuffs, the mandarin collar and the back yoke.


I also used some interesting yellow & black buttons I had from the collection. The challenge was that I needed eight buttons and only had six. So I made a covered button for the mandarin collar and the last buttonhole carefully matching the fabric so that the buttons would blend into the garment.


Buttons, fabric manipulation, a collar change and this amazing piece of fabric are the standouts in this shirt.

A few pics of the shirt ~




As I stated above I will be making a new garment using Elliott Berman fabric about every three months. If you're on Instagram, may I suggest you follow them at ebtfabrics. They offer some amazing discounts for their Instagram followers. Also, don't hesitate to check out the website. They do ship overseas. I've ordered from them in the past, their orders ship quickly and are well packed.

I finally spent some quality time with my daughter/photographer so there will be a few more posts after this one. If you've read this far, you should know that the same daughter is the family hairdresser, and she added the curly fall to my hair for these pictures. Since we shoot several garments at once, the photos in the next couple of blog posts will also feature this hairstyle. Just thought I would tell you before you asked! 

...as always more later!





53 comments:

  1. Love this look on you! Youthful, flirty, with a 'Casual Friday' flavor. Love the kicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - it is casual friday every day at my job and I've finally found my look. So thank you, thank you, thank you for calling it youthful and flirty!

      Delete
  2. I’ve purchased fabrics in person from Elliott Bergman’s and I agree the quality is superb, as is the service from Eugenia. We just booked a trip to NYC so I’ll pop into the store at your suggestion. Love be your work, btw, even though I know nothing about making womenswear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - have a great time when you get to NYC and definitely stop by Elliott Berman's because the selection is just amazing!!!

      Delete
  3. I could be green with envy.....but well done on your collaboration and look forward to seeing lots of 'new' fabrics appearing in your collection (that will, of course, be transformed into beautiful clothes).
    BTW you really suit blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth - thank you so much! However, I'm not holding onto the EB fabrics. They will become new pieces right away...cause I need no more tenants in the fabric collection! hahahahaha!

      Delete
  4. Great top and collaboration! I love the hair and top, the print of the fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like the top, great fabric. LOVE LOVE LOVE the curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about the fabric and the curly hair especially.

      Delete
    2. Thanks garnet128 - it really is a lovely piece of fabric isn't it! Elliott Berman for the win!

      Delete
  6. Lovely top! Congrats on the new collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I think I'm going to make some amazing garments using EB fabrics!

      Delete
  7. Fabric is stunning and blouse is beautiful on you. As always, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth but it was easy to do a good job with this amazing fabric!

      Delete
  8. Love this shirt! That fabric is just wonderful-- so colorful and dynamic but not overpowering. And the hair is so cute. Great look for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine - I really love this shirt so there will be more of them appearing here during the year especially since I have a stack of fabrics to use! However, the fabric for this one was just perfect for what I was looking to make!

      Delete
  9. Love this shirt! But can we talk about your hair? FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathryn - the hair is ALL my daughter. So thank you from both of us!

      Delete
  10. I. LOVE. YOUR. HAIRSTYLE!!!! Props, daughter!

    Beautiful start to your ebt garments... and I love that we can see them right here in your own living room :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy - now you know blogging on just one platform was a prime selling point for me collaborating with Elliott Berman! And my daughter did do the dayum thing with the hair! She also does weaves and keeps trying to convince that I should get one...jury is still out on that one! LOL!

      Delete
  11. That's an exciting collaboration - you'll love the high quality fabric, and they are luck to have you and your skills! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian...I feel like a kid that just won the golden ticket to the chocolate factory! LOL! Imma try to sew every type of fabric I can that will work with my lifestyle.

      Delete
  12. To echo Marcy I. LOVE. LOVE YOUR HAIRSTYLE!!!!
    This is a great shirt. The fabric is amazing and I love the colors on you. Also congratulations on your collaboration with EBF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'm thrilled with this collaboration and hopefully will make some amazing garments to share.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your new affiliation with EBT - I drool on instagram . This is a great shirt & I always love your tips -such as you only had so many buttons so you made a change . I need to think outside the box more

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so gorgeous. My LFS literally 200 yds from home carries EBF. I bought a rayon jersey in a similar print and succumbed to too good to use. Maybe this will help me use it and wear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooohhhhhh you are so lucky to be able to get this fabric locally badmomgoodmom! I'm sure you can get some amazing pieces!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on your new collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you! I love you and your blog. I learn so much and love how honest you are.
    Love this fabric and your beautiful, natural hair. They couldn't have picked a better sewist to represent their store. Wishing you all good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth - you are very kind. Thank you for loving the blog and for continuing to read my ramblings. It is so appreciated.

      Delete
  17. Wonderful news and a beautiful shirt. I have only purchased at EBF when I've seen you use their fabric in a new creation. I'm not a huge fan of their web site--I don't find myself being excited by the postings there the way I am with other retailers. But now that you are using their fabric, I will follow along closely and see what is available there. They often have great discounts, which is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJW - I know their website doesn't navigate as well as some others but it's worth the effort because they have some amazing fabrics. Also follow them on IG, where they highlight a lot of special fabrics and offer deals on them as well as discounts.

      Delete
  18. What a lovely shirt! Great news about your new collaboration. I look forward to seeing future garments from Elliott Berman Fabrics and will definitely be checking out their website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernice - the quality of their fabric is amazing! You won't be disappointed! And if I can ever get you to NYC, you would love their space.

      Delete
  19. Beautiful shirt! I love the print of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The shirt is beautiful and the curls are just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look fabulous!! Congratulations on your new collaboration. The fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't you look fabulous? Pretty blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so pretty here! What is it: the hair? the color of the shirt? the mandarin collar? I suspect it is a happy confluence.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Carolyn, I really like your new shirt. And congratulations on your collaboration. It's really great that you don't have to go to another site. You looking fantastic. Keep up the good work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cennetta but you know these shirts are inspired by the blog post you wrote on added touches you can make to a basic shirt pattern. So thank you for that! And not having to blog on another platform is the second best thing about this. The first of course is the access to the Elliott Berman fabric! Thanks again!

      Delete
  25. Love the detailed touches to the shirt - beautiful! And congratulations on your new collaboration! It's very well-deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber - it's crazy but I've found that I really like making shirts. There are so many opportunities to showcase amazing fabric and to embellish them. You can be really creative with a shirt and I'm enjoying that!

      Delete
  26. What a great opportunity for collaboration, on both sides of the transaction. They’re lucky to have you as spokesperson and you’re lucky too. I have pieces from them going back more than a decade- they were a wholesale source for the store I taught at in St Louis MO

    ReplyDelete
  27. This shirt turned out fabulous - I can see why you fell so hard. I love that you matched the fabric so the covered buttons wouldn't stand out - they blend in completely. Fabric manipulation for the win! This is a another great version of your TNT.

    You know all the times I've come into the City, I've never been to Elliot Berman?! g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails