Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Simplicity 8059 in a Blackbird Fabric

I like this pattern. I really, really like this pattern! Obviously I do since this is my 7th version of it and I have a few more pieces of fabric dedicated to making more. For winter I like layering pieces and this cardigan makes a fantastic layering piece.  


See I have a rule when it gets extremely cold - 2 layers under my coat sleeve and since I sit near the front door at my job - those 2 layers are necessary to keep me warm during the day.

Simplicity issued this as a summer pattern and there were some amazing versions of it made by the sewing community for spring/summer. However, I always saw it as a fall/winter cardigan because of the ease of wearing and the ability to do some funky things with the front tie.

Materials Used ~
My last version was a wool jersey one.  This new one is influenced by a piece of fabric that Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow was gifted by BlackBird Fabrics. When I saw the fabric I fell in love and had to have a piece. I also wanted to try out BlackBird Fabrics since they are a new to me online fabric spot. I have to tell you the experience was wonderful. I received my fabric quickly even though it came from Canada and the quality is amazing. An aside here to say that I received the fabric faster than I have from some online spots in the US!

Since I've made this pattern so many times there are no new sewing challenges or techniques here. I let the fabric and the funky ribbon purchased from Joyce Trimmings speak.

A few pictures ~





As I said above, I have plans to make more of these cardigans because they work for my lifestyle...and because they are a wonderful showcase for interesting and pretty fabrics.

This was the first project from my Christmas Sewcation. It was a wonderful way to start because I got something accomplished right out the gate. 

Final shot ~
The girls were here with their Mother while we took pictures. However, they spent most of their time inside on the iPad and watching TV.  They ventured outside for just this picture...so here's Sammy posing with me and Aleena streaking by in the background! Please notice the pink ~ this little girl loves pink and she wears a little of it or a lot every day ~ even her sneakers have a little pink in them!


...as always more later!



21 comments:

  1. Carolyn, the cardigan is stunning, and the Blackbird fabric is gorgeous! I went right to their website. Good to have a recommendation for a new fabric source. :-) Your lovely Sammy is adorable and very photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the stock at Blackbird fabrics and hope you found something you liked!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I saw this fabric on Gillian and just loved it too! I'm a huge fan of Blackbird fabrics (probably too enthusiastically so if truth be told) and order from Caroline often. I have for about 2 years now - she's just across the strait from me (I'm in Victoria BC and she's in Vancouver) so I usually see it in the mailbox within a couple of days. Her fabrics never disappoint and the prices are always fair. Have you listened to her and Helen's (of Helen's Closet) podcast? Love to Sew? It's fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have listened to their podcast. It's very interesting especially since they've spoken with some of my sewing friends! Can totally understand why you're a fan of Blackbird Fabrics...I was very pleased with my purchase from them!

      Delete
  3. Another great make! And what girly doesn't like pink??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favorite things you have ever made. I just love the softer colors on you. What a versatile "topper", perfect in many fabrics - and that fabric is exquisite. I am so bummed that it is sold out or I woud have had some on order today. Love to see you with the little ones too - even one who is darting away. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cardigan with your Blackbird fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cardigan, love the fabric! And your new hair is wonderful, modern and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabric and the cardigan! My kind of style... and the length looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a perfect fit...And the fabric is pretty and seems pretty versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, bought the pattern and am ready to get the fabric. Could I please ask how much yardage your shortened version used? I love the top Gillian made but think it would be too hot. A cardigan style is perfect. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - I used 2.5 yards because I've widened my sleeves quite a bit!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you love the fabric and that it arrived quickly. You made a perfect choice pairing it with this cardigan. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! I love your collection of fabric and you make it very hard not to purchase more! I hope you sell meters and meters of fabric!

      Delete
  11. Great fabric for a cardigan, it will go with so many things! I always love the way you create and style your various "toppers".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty & I agree about Blackbird Fabrics - have ordered several times and always have been pleased with the quality & shipping speed. Your granddaughter is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so pretty!!!! I love that this fabric looks springy in a wintery way, if that makes any sense at all - it's a nice shot of colour, even on a cold day! I"m so glad you liked the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how you used it and it is very, very warm. It made the perfect cardigan, so thank you!

      Delete
  14. That is looking very stylish and the colors are also looking very good. Thanks for the details. I am also planning to buy the workout gear for my yoga sessions and would like to invest in such cool apparels. I was just wondering if you have any reviews about some good brands, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails