Supply List ~
- Embroidered striped fabric purchased earlier this year from Emmaonesock
- Yellow gingham from Fabric Mart (recent purchase from Sew Camp)
- Fusible interfacing from Farmhouse Fabrics
- 12 yellow buttons from Lauren Trimming in NYC Garment District
- 1/2 yard yellow piping from Daytona Trimmings
- 1 yard of yellow bias binding from the notions stash
Pattern Alterations ~
I made considerable alterations to this pattern since the finished hip measurements were 50.5" so not my finished garment hip measurement. Also the waist/abdomen measurements were about 6" less than my own.
As I stated above, I altered the pattern pieces using my TNT pattern. Although when I reviewed the pattern, I realized that I ended up altering the front and side back pieces just like the pattern instructions suggested. But by using my TNT pattern, I didn't have to guess at the amount of inches to add.
The other pieces that I altered was the back yoke piece and the front top yoke - just to make sure they fit the newly altered body pieces.
I'm one of those sewists who serge finishes all of her cut out garment pieces before I start construction but for this one I finished the seams as I sewed them. I'm trying something new and was scared the entire time that the dress wouldn't fit because I just couldn't imagine taking out the serged together edges if I needed to make some fit alterations.
Some more info:
- All the body seams are sewn using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- The fabric was difficult to sew at points because of the density of the embroidery.
- So I omitted all of the topstitching so it wouldn't be wonky when it hit embroidery.
- There's a lot of handstitching in this since I couldn't topstitch the seams...undercollar to dress and the front button bands.
- The handstitching let me maneuver through the dense embroidery easier but took FOREVER!
- The buttonholes had to be carefully placed so that I wouldn't hit any of the dense embroidery. I knew my sewing machine wouldn't like them. So I was going to take them to Jonathan's in NYC to make them instead.
- However, when I went to mark the buttonholes I noticed that the majority of the buttonholes were in a space that did not have embroidery. So I gave it a try. Some were a little challenging but my machine I got through them all! I love my sewing machine!!!
- This is why this is the last garment being shared from the May Sewcation.
A few pictures ~
I will make this pattern again. It's the perfect summer shirtdress. I have fabric for a shorter length version so I need to schedule that into my sewing to do list. However, it may make an appearance in a fall edition too!
...as always more later!