Saturday, July 14, 2018

Simplicity 5075 - A Duster from Elliot Berman Fabric

One of the things preparing to attend the Baltimore Destash did, was it made me look at my pattern collection.  Like many of you, I have a lot of patterns.  However, in the collecting of sewing items, patterns are not my nemesis - fabric is! 

Lately I'm not purchasing as many patterns as I use to...partly because I use so many TNT patterns and partly because I own a lot of older unused patterns.  Sifting through them for the Destash caused me to touch almost all of them and I found some oldies but goodies that will be making their way to my wardrobe and the blog.


Simplicity 5075 is one of them.  It's a Khaliah Ali pattern from her partnership with Simplicity.  If you were sewing then, you know she helped design this amazing collection and these patterns went from a size 8/10 to 28/32W.  It was one of the first pattern lines that gave plus size women current and trendy patterns in our sizes. It was literally an earth-shattering moment in the Big4 and I collected quite a few of them.  BTW, none of the Khaliah Ali patterns made it into the Destash giveaway...some things need to be held onto y'know what I mean!



So all of that to say, that even though I have two or three current kimono/duster patterns, I went with this out of print pattern. This pattern can still be found online with a simple google search so if you like my version, there are patterns out there to be purchased.

Next - the fabric used in this project is from Elliot Berman and is part of my brand ambassadorship with them.  The last time I was in EB's NYC warehouse, I spotted this navy voile and loved it.  However, at the time, it was too cold to sew it. Plus I knew I would use it for summer.



The thing I love about Elliot Berman is the vastness of their collection AND how interesting the fabrics are - nothing dull or pedantric here.  So if you want to see their online selection of cotton voiles look here.  

I need to apologize now because there are alot of photos in this post. I wanted someplace nice to show off how awesome this duster is and how the fabric was THE PERFECT CHOICE for this pattern. My daughter chose the Douglas campus of Rutgers University. These are taken at the Student Union Building.

Supply List ~
3 yards of a cotton voile from Elliot Berman
gray foldover bias tape - Wrights
1 yard of piping from Joyce Trimmings that I used for the ties

Construction ~
This pattern has 4 pieces and was easy to construct. I made no alterations to the pattern and cut a straight 26W because I wanted a little more flow to the body. The one change I should have made to the pattern was to raise the bust seam up. Also making a straight 26 was a little bigger in the bust area than I am, using the size 24 would have probably worked better. You have to really look for this because the print hides alot. If I had made this in a solid it would have been more noticeable.


After wearing it for a couple of hours, the flowy sleeves is one of the things I like best about the pattern. Now this pattern is pretty distinctive and I do have a few other kimono patterns in the stash I still want to use, so I don't know if I will be making the pattern again.

A Few More Pictures ~ 






A Little More Info ~
I'm wearing this duster with a RTW tank that's been in my wardrobe for years and a new pair of pants from my TNT pattern. I've made a few alterations to the pants pattern and those alterations will be discussed in an upcoming post.



The pants are made from a navy linen/poly blend fabric. This fabric is from deep stash so I have no idea where it came from because the tag wasn't on this 4 yard piece. I know it's old because I haven't purchased a linen blend like this in over a decade.

I've made no changes to this pair other than the alterations mentioned above.  That's what's so good about using a TNT pattern...a new garment without a lot of angst!  I love that I'm wearing two made by me pieces together.  This doesn't happen often anymore so it makes me very happy.



Conclusion ~
This outfit is sooooooo me! I can see me wearing it in all aspects of my life. To work, to hang out with friends...with my wedges pictured above...with my sneaks and even with a pair of heels. I love this outfit so much!!! So please excuse me for spamming this post with so many photos but my Daughter took so many amazing ones.

Finally, definitely try out some of these high quality cotton voiles from Elliot Berman. You can follow them on Instagram to see photos of their stock and behind the scenes of the showroom. Or you can follow them on Facebook where they offer giveaways and Deals of the Day/Weekend!  Also if you're ever in NYC visiting the garment district, don't leave without going by their showroom and touching the amazing fabric in person. You won't be sorry that you visited them!


...as always more later!





36 comments:

  1. most of the photos are broken links... :( I hope that is easily fixed, since I love both reading what you write and seeing the pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aha, now they are back again! Huzzah!! and just as beautiful as I imagined...I am definitely curious about that cotton voile

      Delete
  2. That voile looks beautiful and the kimono pops! I like the length and the tie and it fits just right. And my favorite pic is you on the bench. You look so relaxed and happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite things you have made! Stylish but relaxed. Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would want to wear that everyday! The whole outfit is perfect. The fabric and the pattern are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is very flattering and the whole outfit is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiring as usual...
    Wondering it the short version, with sleeves, in a wool challis, would make a good suit jacket substitute....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P McLaughlin - I don’t see why not. It would be like a cozy sweater. Do you already own the pattern?

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous on you! Great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flowing fabric! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, I am always amazed by your beautiful garments but this is absolutely the most flattering look I have ever seen you wear! Can you tell me how you used piping to make the ties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nightly Gardener - I thought I would have to sew the lip of the piping down but it was flat enough to use as is so I just cut the length I needed and sewed it onto the duster.

      Delete
  10. Fallen in love with dusters in the last two years and this one is no exception. Dusters add a touch of elegance to any outfit. Beautiful and flowing. Nice backdrop also. Khaliah and I must be on a first name basis (in my head) because I own every K.A. Simplicity pattern. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - I kick myself now that I didn't buy ALL of them when they were out. I have ALOT of them and I'm thinking about sewing a couple more of them. They were wonderful patterns with a lot of classic styles!

      Delete
    2. Robin, I also have her full collection of Simplicity patterns. I have a pattern box with just the Khaliah Ali patterns. I am not loving some of her new McCall's patterns. Still I'm trying to be a loyal Khaliah Ali follower.

      Carolyn, I am loving the duster and the pants!

      Delete
  11. what a gorgeous outfit. and cotton voile - it is a dream to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing outfit. Amazing make.

    Wardrobe staple, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, probably everyone knows but me, what is a TNT pattern? I love your pictures and this great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the perfect fabric! You look great in it! And I love the way the fabric floats out when you are taking a step!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so fantastic! I love how floaty it is, and how it's a statement piece without being crazy bold. My husband was looking over my shoulder as I was reading, and said "That style would look good on you!", which proves me is a man of taste! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian - this would look good on you and you should definitely make one. I think the tie under the bustline is the thing that really makes this duster sing!

      Delete
  16. Perfect marriage of pattern with fabric. Love all the pics....you can tell you love your outfit by your smile of confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that’s lovely. Really suits you and the photos are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this flow-y duster but the backdrop of the Student Union makes for some awesome photography. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this duster and all the glorious photos! I'm so happy I own this pattern and will sew it up chop-chop. Carolyn, I think this is the best garment you've sewn this summer. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to talk to you about you patterns and how you put them together. I am a XL but I have 19" arms. I notice that you wear great clothes and have large arms also. How do you do it? I am so tired of buying 2X clothes just so my arms fit. I haven't sewed in a very long time so I am a bit wonky right now. Please get back to me with some help. lkspooner@sbcglobal.net Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I explain all alterations for my clothes on the blog. If you use the search box at the top (upper left hand corner) and put in sleeves - every post that I've written about them will show up. Or you can click the link "sleeves" in the blog index and the latest blog posts that I've written about sleeves pops up. You can also try the link "Sewing Techniques" for a variety of sewing techniques to help you fit a plus size body. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  21. Love this look on you. Beautiful setting for photos too 👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carolyn, this is really lovely! You've got me thinking about making a duster as it seems there would be so many ways to wear it. Now if I can actually get in some actual sewing instead of just thinking about it...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  23. PS I just got an email from Elliot Berman!!! Whoopeeee I'm so glad to see you as an Ambassador for their wonderful fabrics!!! I wish I lived close enough to visit them often but their website keeps me pretty happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great piece on you. Very chic and flattering

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look so elegant in this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails