Monday, December 10, 2018

Black Friday Fabric Purchases

I can honestly say that this was my last big fabric buy of 2018.  I bought way more fabric than I intended. The sales were really good and I found some fabric that just wanted to come and be neighbors with the present members of the collection. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! *LOL* 

Seriously though, I'm documenting this because I want to have it as a reference for future makes. At one time, I documented almost all of my fabric purchases. It was great when I finally used the fabric to figure out when I bought it and I could point back to it in the garment post. 

Since I get to start new in 2019, I'm going to try to document all new fabric purchases. Hopefully that will make me more conscious of what I purchase especially if I'm sharing it with all of you! Famous last words I know. Anyway here is what I bought...

Sewing Studio:
I bought a black stretch corduroy and a floral chambray to make a vest and shirt combo. Honestly I haven't purchased from them since they changed owners and I wanted to try the new site out.  The sale was good - 25% off your order.  The website was easy to navigate and the shipping was FAST! If you haven't looked at their site or purchased from them lately, I highly recommend this site!

How the fabric arrives

What I purchased...


Stylemaker Fabrics:
I love Michelle's selection. I'm constantly checking it because she's set her website up so that I can check fabric by color or by type. Many times, I just click the color type I'm interested in and ramble through until I find what I need. That's how I found this latest piece. 


Its called Metropolis Cotton Lawn Navy. I bought it to go with a blue faux suede that I'd purchased from the craft store in August when I visited the Lancaster one with Gaylen. I want to make another vest/shirt combo with these. However, if you're interested in the same color/fabric combo, Michelle has a blue suede on her site too.


Fabric Mart Fabrics:
Fabric Mart always has wonderful sales so I usually skip them during Black Friday. But this year they pulled out all the stops ~ 60% off everything, 1/2 price shipping and a free gift. Then each day there was one extra discount - one day it was 30% off patterns. Thankfully, I bought fabric on Thanksgiving Day without the extra enticements! *LOL*

Entire FM haul with the free gift - about a dozen zippers

A cotton jacquard border print

Floral Cotton Sateen

Black & White Polyester Floral Crepe 

I bought the most fabric here.  A black & white polyester floral crepe, a walnut cotton oxford shirting, a cotton/jacquard floral print and a floral watercolor sateen print. These will be held for spring sewing. I know, I know but I loved all of them so much and you know nothing lasts at Fabric Mart long. I can't even link to them because they're no longer on the site.


Blackbird Fabrics:
I purchased two pieces from Blackbird Fabrics. The thing you should know about ordering from Blackbird Fabrics during a sale is that it takes a minute to get your fabric and that is clearly stated on their website. So if you're looking for a quick fix, think about it. This fabric arrived Saturday, December 8th when I ordered it on November 23rd. I'm sure crossing from one country to another is also a factor.

Lousy photo of the black denim but decent photo of the navy viscose linen noil

Black denim (out of stock)

This color is sold out but there are more viscose/linen noils on the site

I own a lot of denim but no mediumweight black denim. So I bought that and a viscose/linen noil. I purchased the viscose linen noil fabric because I was intrigued by the fabric combo. I know I don't own anything like it in the collection. It's an interesting piece that I will use once the weather warms up.

Honestly I get caught up in Blackbird's IG account. The way they showcase fabrics on social media really entices me and is why I keep going back for more! 


fabrics.com:
This purchase was a couple of days after Black Friday. Fabric.com had a bunch of Liverpool knits on sale for $6.99 a yard. Seriously $6.99 per yard. I bought three very unique prints.



Liverpool Double Knit Plaid Navy/Ivory Fabric - is no longer available



I know exactly what I want to make with these. One is destined to be used during my Winter Break, the other two have been shelved to wait their turn. I know fabric.com has taken a beating on the internet recently and I ordered from them holding my breathe. Thankfully, not only was my order correct but it came quickly. I actually was surprised at how fast it shipped. I guess that means give them a chance if you really want something!

Conclusion ~
37.5 yards of fabric have shown up in the last three weeks. Honestly, most of it is still laying on the cutting table waiting to be put away. That definitely was my last buy of the year...and hopefully I won't be purchasing anything before I head to Sew Camp too. At least that's my goal! *LOL* 

If you are interested in any of the fabrics, I've provided links to them. I can vouch that all of them are amazing.  Except, someone contacted me on Instagram regarding the floral cotton sateen from Fabric Mart. She had issues with the dyes running when she prewashed the fabric. Fabric Mart did graciously refund her money. However, I googled it and I'm going to try to set the dyes before I prewash the fabric. I will follow up here and let you know how it works out.

The last two shirts in The Border Print Series will be up shortly. I've been slowly working on them so they will be photographed on me next weekend.


...as always more later!






  

12 comments:

  1. I like your approach to buying fabric and putting it away for later use. However, how do you know how much to buy if you're not sure what you are going to make with it. Do you just buy a set amount each time i.e. 3 yards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgina - for the pieces I put away I actually know what I want to make from them and bought the appropriate yardage. However, these days 3 yards is my standard length for most dresses, pants and shirts. I tend to buy an extra 1/2 to a yard with border prints or directional prints to have room to play.

      Delete
  2. Good, clean fun!
    I'm wondering if you handwash fabric? Or machine gentle wash & dry like I want to? (I'm looking at you linen-viscose noil from Blackbird.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody - The noil will be washed on delicate and hung to dry. I don’t hand wash anything because my machine has enough cycles to handle most everything.

      Delete
    2. FYI the viscose/linen noil is by Telio (manufacturer) and I've seen it on Blackbird, StyleMaker and Fabric.com. I bought one cut from StyleMaker and another color from fabric.com and can confirm they are the same. In case you want to shop around for colors... :)

      https://www.fabric.com/find?searchText=noil+vicose

      Delete
    3. JT - thanks for the info! I love Telio fabrics so it's good to know the fabric was manufactured by them.

      Delete
  3. I used to note each fabric buy on the blog too and think I'll go back to doing it for the same reason you mentioned...sometimes it's handy to know when you bought it and not everyone uses awesome tags like FM...and when I buy from SR Harris!

    OMG that FM sale! I had my head down, fingers in my ears so I missed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my year end totals and really I could just scream! While I haven't added 100s of yards of fabric to the collection during any one shopping trip, I've added way too many yards! I've sewn and given away enough fabric for several people's fabric stashes...and yet I'm still drowning in fabric. So my fabric buys will be more to shame myself as well as to keep a record.

      Delete
  4. I love your new fabrics, especially the florals and the metropolis print. WOW! They are TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabric haul! I came very close to buying fabric during the all the pre and post
    Black Friday sales. I was able to stick to no fabric purchases for me. I am trying to refrain as much as possible until the new year. I have been pulling fabrics from the stash. Thanks for update on Sewing Studio, I will go check them out later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got so many beautiful fabrics! I look forward to seeing what you do with them, and thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your fabric choices. I just found your blog and about to start binge reading. I never feel guilty about adding to my stash, everyone has a vice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails