Yesterday after I pulled myself out of the Colette Sewing Book, I went back to working on the McCalls dress. I did a fitting when I got the base of the dress together...everything was looking good. Then I put the sleeves and the band onto the dress neckline and got this:
Now don't these two fabrics look fantastic together! I was psyched! I put the almost finished dress (no hems) on and *sigh* knew I was going to spend some quality time with my seam ripper. The sleeves are too small and it's causing the dress front to pull...actually the sleeves are just wrong and need to be redone. But here is the heartbreaking part - I have no more silk left. Or if there is a remnant around, I have no idea where it is (don't get me started on those dayum fabric bins!)
After casting around for another idea, I remembered that I had some navy ponte knit. Which I did have enough sense to put in a separate bin, so it was easy to find. Here's a pic of this combination:
Not as pretty as the original one, right? However, it will work...but at this point I was pretty well done for the night, so I turned everything off and headed upstairs to watch television...at 9:30pm!
This morning with the sun shining bright and a renewed fervor, I pulled out my seam ripper and started ripping the neckband and sleeves apart. I will redraft the sleeve pattern. I will make a two-part sleeve with a seam down the center instead of a single sleeve with a dart at the sleeve cap. I will finish the dress.
Of course this journey is taking a little longer than I thought. But since I'm making a conscientious effort to slow my sewing down, as well as, trying to use more new patterns (hey I buy them, I should use them!) making this dress will probably consume my entire Thanksgiving recess. And in the morning light, even that's okay. It's not like I don't have anything else to wear! *smile*
...as always, more later!