Sunday, January 05, 2014

I have the best friends...

Several of my friends have known about the events happening in my life during the last couple of months of 2013.  I haven't bemoaned the facts, just shared them. So one of my friends decided to do something to help me out. Maybe she was tired of me moaning about my camera...maybe she thought I was exaggerating my handicap but she volunteered to help me "learn" more about it.  The only thing is that I had to come to NYC during the weekend to do so.

We picked a date a couple of weeks ago.  Who knew that the day was going to turn out to be yucky. Seriously yucky...an icy rain...yes I-C-E, fogginess and darkness at 2 in the afternoon...but since tomorrow isn't going to be any better, we decided to just go ahead and meet up today.  She even generously suggested that she would shoot my last two makes.  Now that's a friend, isn't it.

You want to know who this amazingly wonderful person is, dontcha?!  It's my girl Marce, who authors the blog, Oonaballoona from Kalkatroona.  We ended up in my office since it was convenient to her home base, it was well-lit and it was out of the rain.

Taken with my point and shoot w/o the flash

So I did learn a few things about my camera...and I quote:

"Flash - is the devil!"

What does this mean to a woman who thought she was safe using the automatic setting on my camera?  Uggghhh, I'm in trouble.  Because my automatic setting automatically flashes.  What to do, what to do?

There is a setting on my camera that is no flash...but it uses the automatic settings.  Who knew?  So using it was one of Marce's first suggestions.


Then she reset my picture sizes.  Hey I did it based upon what I knew from my point and shoot.  So she reset the picture sizes to get the best quality picture but not extra large photos downloading to my computer.



I learned a few other things about my camera which she loved so at one point I even offered to give it to her...but she was polite and refused! *LOL*  Here are the things I can remember:
  • I can check the focus of the picture by zooming in and out.
  • If you take photos on P - the flash doesn't flash - because you know the flash is the devil.
  • White out washes out the background and my face in photos - it's to be avoided.
  • My camera is amazing because it takes awesome photos even in places that aren't well lit - yeah right! Maybe in the hands of a master! *LOL*
  • I shouldn't have to focus the camera - on P, no flash and automatic, the lens will adjust itself.
  • Oh I need lens cleaner for my lens...gotta figure out where to buy some of that!  No paper towels, no rags, no towels should be used on my lens.
  • But mostly importantly - I should play with my camera and keep playing until I learn some things about it. *roll eyes*
My next assignment is to set up the remote & tripod and try taking a few photos that way.  Okay dokey we'll see how that goes.  I think I'm gonna miss my point and shoot...*sigh*

Some of the last photos you'll see from the "Point and Shoot"...


"The Changing Room"



Marcy and the camera...



...as always more later!

26 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, the no-flash auto setting is fabulous. I have an actual degree in photography and I use it all the time. ;) (I really have zero excuses for bad pics on my blog, given that I know how the camera works & I own a tripod, I'm just lazy and my husband takes THE. WORST. pictures, I think on purpose!)
    Keep playing with it is the right answer, though! A lot of it is practice. Also, can I just say that I love those purple moon boots? So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taking this photo lesson very seriously until I saw those houndstooth heels in the changing room. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee! When you get more comfortable with it, playing with the ISO setting while in "P" mode will get you more variations. Only when you are ready however! (This is one of my hubby's favorite settings for his flora/fauna/sunset pictures--I tell him this is the only reason he buys cameras. Ha!.)

    It is good to have friends who will help, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a fun lesson on photography from Ms. Oona. It sounds like she gave you a whole bunch of new tips and tricks that I hope will help with your confidence in your new camera. My fancy camera didn't even come with a flash, so there's no way to use one unless I buy an external one. Crazy, right? But, I guess that's one way for a camera to let you know that the flash is the devil! I just love that all you NYC ladies are friends and get together. I'm hoping to become part of - or build if necessary! - a similar community here in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun day. I swear I saw Marce on several episodes of NCIS yesterday while I was sewing. Will be watching how your photos improve. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay - you probably did! She's done quite a bit of series TV besides the Broadway shows. I think she's an amazing actress as well as a good friend!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a really fun day. Another trick you can do if you must use a flash is put a tissue over it. That will help diffuse the light and soften it up a lot. Happy shooting! ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you should do a short course for beginners in DSLR photography. That helped me to understand my camera much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww…I love Marcy…she's such a sweetie! Aren't sewing friends great?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for great friends! Great local friends that know cameras! Great local friends that know cameras, give lessons, and take pics of recent makes!!! Very nice, and a fun time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what they say. "A friend will help you move, a good friend will help you move a body!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaha, awesome! What a fun day! Hope it was helpful for you! Sounds like you have a great camera-- I'm excited to see if you enjoy getting to know it better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds fun, and thanks for sharing the tips! I have a long way to go on that front, too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to think if taking photos inside, you *must* use flash. That may have been the case with my old point & shoot camera, but not the digitals. I tried no flash at a quilt show, and it's amazing how much better you can see the quilting without, even in poor light.

    I'm glad you got all these pointers! I really should go read the manual for my camera again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have said "with my old point & shoot FILM camera"

      Delete
  15. I don't know Marcy, but I can tell she is my kind of girl... LOVE her colorful outfit on a dreary day and her boots!!! But the topping on the cake is how sweet she was to meet you for a photography lesson. I know it was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. teehee, thank you patricia....on my way to carolyn a truck driver called out, "well aren't YOU colorful and stylish!" i couldn't tell if he was joking.... but i was going for 80s ski slopes, so anything's possible.

      Delete
  16. Who could possibly be a better (and more fun) teacher. Aren't you a lucky photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful friend and thank her from me as well as I learned some new things about my camera and have always know the flash is the devil but how to stop it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. carolyn, i only wish i knew more, as in... enough to teach you more than the flash is the devil!!! i just press buttons and cross my fingers. the camera don't lie, you are a beautiful subject:)

    oh and what she didn't tell y'all is she gave me a WAY sweet giftie for all my "hard" work. i love my scissors!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have one of these cameras and did not know some of the tips. Thanks for sharing your photo lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sweet of her! I my look into getting myself a nicer camera soon, so thanks for the 'no flash' tip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oooh, how fun you not only got to hang out with a friend but also learned to use your camera! I got a new camera for Christmas, albeit, its still a point and shoot, but a better one than I have now, so am only too excited to learn some camera tips!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails