Monday, June 05, 2017

The Making of a TNT Button Down Shirt

I'm in love with button down shirts probably because I've finally truly shed my professional skin and have embraced the lifestyle of casual living. I've amassed a collection of RTW jeans, leggings, and skinny jeans that I combine with my me-mades tops, button down shirts and toppers.

Collection of button downs made this year

My Button Down Journey ~
I started this button down journey in September 2015 with Butterick 5678 and some chambray fabric. I picked this pattern because it had princess seams in the front and back giving me a fitted look but allowing me to make easy alterations because of those seams.


I made two versions of that button down but really wasn't happy with it. They fit tightly through my abdomen and bottom so that I never wore them buttoned up. Which kinda defeats the purpose of a button down, right? So I put the pattern on the back burner while I worked on some other things to beef up my wardrobe.

Late last year/early this year, I got the idea to merge Butterick 5678 with Vogue 7700. I was thinking that I could get a fitted front (from the princess seams) with a smock type back that would give me the ease I wanted and allow me to button up the shirt.

Working that pattern combo, I've made four versions. The first one was made using a Cotton & Steel fabric that at first I thought was a little too loose.


So I made some changes to the front pattern pieces to get a better fit in the front for subsequent renditions. I also chose a drapier fabric to change the way the button down hung. That resulted in one from a polyester crepe (my favorite

and a rayon version (my least favorite).

I also changed the cuffs from button up ones, to cuffs that I slip my hands through. Piping and lace became embellishments that I explored (version #4) in an attempt to find my perfect buttondown. Even after these four amazing versions I still wasn't satisfied.


Latest Version ~


I kept thinking that if I removed some of the fullness in the back but kept the yoke, I would have what I wanted. So that's what I did with this version. I also added some bias binding and buttons with history to this one because all of that print needed something to reign it in.

Construction ~
The only difference in construction was how I applied the cuffs. These were added to the sleeve, then the binding sewn to the bottom of the cuff and the side seam of the sleeve and cuff sewn together. I couldn't figure out a way to hide the bias binding in a seam, so I just sewed the side seam. Then added some stitch witchery to the seam to hold them flat against the seam. Not a pretty inside finish but it works.


A Little History of these Buttons ~
These buttons are from when I worked at Rochester Button Company, now defunct. One of the things that I was responsible for was designing the button cards that the sales people showed to prospective customers.  If we could dye a button, I started with the original and then showed dyed versions on the card. There were two great things about that - one, I used fabric swatches from my own collection to pick colors and two, I got to go to the dye places in the garment district.


It was fascinating to see the buttons dyed. Because I dyed a gross at a time, I always ended up with a couple dozen of my own. I don't believe any of those dye/warehouse places still exist in the garment district. Since all of the space that was located by 9th and 10th Avenues has been turned into either apartment buildings or hotels. However, if I'm wrong and someone knows if some of them survived, please leave a comment below. It would be interesting to hear about them!

A Few Pictures of This One ~
The skirt worn with this buttondown is a 
ponte skirt I made a few years ago.




...and worn with my Clarks black suede & leather sneakers

Conclusion ~
Honestly this will not be the last one of these and I will probably continue to mess around with the pattern pieces, as well as the embellishments. There is one more on my summer sewing list but I can guarantee you that some combination of this pattern & fabric will appear this fall. I love the way these make me feel, yet will fit into with my work environment. Maybe a little more dressed than the employees in shorts and flip flops but that's not a look I can really pull off anymore! *LOL*


Finally, I think one of my last posts said that I was going to work on another Lenox Shirtdress after this shirt was finished. However, after moving my spring/summer wardrobe to the front of the closet, I have a hankering to make a few Concord Tees. So that's what's up next on the blog!

...as always more later!

25 comments:

  1. Forgive me, but it's not really a "button down shirt" unless the collar points have both buttons and buttonholes.
    The shirts are lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fabulous collection of buttoned shirts! Love each and every one of them. I've been wanting to make the Harrison for a while - even though shirts aren't really my thing and I'm more of a top and tshirt gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just browsing my Pam Howard classic shirt class in craftsy.com and went from hand made shirts to your buttoned down shirts on bloglovin. This has been an amazing (in the middle of the night) wee morning adventure for me. Thanks for being a part of it with your simply beautiful shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute in all of your versions! Amazing how you can interpret this type shirt in many different ways. I love the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love button down shirts! Yours look fabulous, especially the last one. My next adventure will be the Tabula Rasa button down variation, from Fit for Art patterns. I love the TR tee shirt, so hopefully the shirt will be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh those buttons <3

    And, you know what, aside from my white version, I don't wear my B5678 shirts much. They are very fitted. I wear my Burda button down shirts way more. May need to switch it up...

    I really love the details you've added. I want to copy that lace idea, one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that the B5678 was very fitted cause hey I have to adjust everything anyway...that could be the reason why I wanted a looser fit. Though I've now messed with this pattern so much to get what I wanted that I don't really need another shirt pattern.

      Delete
  7. I've been on a blouse/shirt making binge (mostly in tunic length like your first one) for about 6 months. I know that's crazy but I've discovered I really love that silhouette too and they are so much fun to make with all those fiddly bits :) I found the best pattern for me was the Harrison shirt by Cashmerette and now I have her new shirtdress in the cue. They always fit me so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your shirts. I especially love the last one. I love anything pink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love every version!! I'm still trying to find a perfect button down myself, I've collected quite a stash, tried a few I liked but didn't love. But, I may have solved the problem and it had to do with a simple alteration I realize I need on all my top patterns. Thanx for the beautiful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these are so lovely! It's clear that you've found a great vehicle for fabrics that will be the star attraction when paired with classic black and white pants, skirts, and dresses, so that a single eye-catching piece will create a new outfit each time. Also impressive is that you capture a different look with each blouse, from conservative to colorful, bold, and dramatic. It's a great capsule wardrobe that you can expand just by changing the blouse. Can't wait to see what you do next! Cindy (Creative Hormone Rush)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why would you want to wear shorts and flip flops when you can wear such lovely shirts!? The most recent one is such a lovely fabric and the trim and buttons make it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to shorts and flip flops but the younger employees in my office are perfectly happy showing up that casual to work. I'm finding that I do like making the shirts and will probably make more!

      Delete
  12. All look great. But my fave is also the blue poly crepe. The Butterick pattern is an all time favorite of mine. I was surprised they took it out of print. That pink rose is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the new floral one but the blue poly crepe is my all time favorite, too!

      Delete
  13. So fun to see the progression of this pattern in your hands! I definitely like the latest best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the collection of button down shirts you have made! I am in the middle of Pam Howards class on Craftsy, and looking forward to making my first version ever. I LOVE all of your variations--you reinforce why I love sewing so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa - what a sweet thing to say! I've been walking my own path creatively that sometimes I feel out of touch with what other sewists are doing. So it's nice to hear that someone else is on the same creative path as I am!

      Delete
  15. I like them all! But the last one you made with the floral fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe that amazing fabric was $1 a yard! I don't think that last one cost me $10 in materials.

      Delete
  16. The floral fabric is gorgeous. I love how the shirt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are all great but I LOVE your latest floral one. The fabric and colors are just gorgeous and look so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Late to this party as I've been out of town, but for future iterations you might consider adding the bias trim to the cuffs the way bias is added to the outer edge of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. While I love all of them, I think the pink floral is my favorite. There is just something about it that I love. Thanks for walking us through the making of it. g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails