Monday, February 19, 2018

Shirt Inspiration

It's been awhile since I posted.  Some of it was because I was on a sewing tear and didn't want to stop to post and take pictures...and then this weekend, I got the crud again. It came and went faster this time, probably because I didn't try to fight it not wanting to make myself sicker. So I went to bed and sweated it out even though I had a full weekend of sewing planned.

I don't have any finished garments to share. Those will be in future posts but I did want to talk a little about what I'm obsessing over sewingwise ~ SHIRTS!


(from Chicos.com)

(Love the floral shirt and the matching tank with shirt is nice too!
These are from ColdwaterCreek.com)

I bought the lace for an all lace shirt last year - now to just make it!

(This one would be great to use up shirting scraps)

A few things I've learned that I like when making shirts ~
1. I like a longer shirt - something thigh length and butt covering
2. I like a princess seam front, yoked back with full lower back silhouette
3. The cuffs is one of the details I like to change up
4. The buttonband on the front can be cut on or sewn on - both work but the sewn on version allows me to add some more visual details to the shirt.
5. A mandarin collar works just as well as a collar and collar stand version.
6. I like a fuller shirt rather than a fitted one.

Mostly though I like making shirts because of the details. They aren't a simple sew, there are steps you need to follow and making them allows you to use a variety of sewing skills.


(Isn't that an amazing detail on the button band!)

Shirts are also versatile pieces in my wardrobe and have become my new dress - the garment I love to sew and wear. I can wear shirts over jeans, leggings or my denim skirts. They can be worn closed or open...with a tank top, sleeveless turtleneck or t-shirt. I can change up the details on each shirt to make each one distinctive while maintaining the silhouette I like. All of this is challenging me creatively especially since I've collected quite a few shirting fabrics.



(Details on my latest shirt - just waiting to be photographed!

There are numerous shirt patterns currently available. You can buy them from the indie designers, Grainline Studio & Cashmerette to name a few, or from one of the Big4 pattern companies. My TNT is a combination of Butterick 5678 and Vogue 7700 both of which are out of print. I've used this pattern combo six times, so my fitting challenges are all worked out...now the fun sewing begins.

That's what's under my sewing machine needle and on my cutting table. Hopefully I will have some pics of finished garments (a couple of shirts and a vest) to share with you soon.

Thanks to everyone who left such thoughtful comments on my last two posts. I really appreciate that everyone felt free to leave their opinion whether they agreed or disagreed with me and that the discussion remained civil. 

...as always more later!



18 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling better! Shirts are a lot of work and a place to become very creative. I get intimidated by the button holes, the collar and stand and the cuffs. I have accumulated some beautiful shirt fabrics but have not sewn a shirt in years. I need to get over it and dive right in, cause practice makes perfect! Easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with shirts too! I just ordered more unneeded fabric and cant wait to get started. I am absolutely loving that all lace shirt idea and cant wait to see yours made up. Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plans. And now you can go back to that Instagram post and tell Deb_Loves_To_Sew that Kashi has a website. It's Metrotextilesnyc.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better soon! LOVE the shirt with the partial lace sleeves. I can see that detail on a sleeved tee, too. In addition to white, would look sharp in black or navy. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tops but especially button up shirts are my favourite items to sew. Not just for the process which is time consuming but they are so classic that they last. I am still wearing several shirts that are 10 years old and one liberty shirt that is 17 years old and I still love it and will not get rid of it until it has holes or I don't fit it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You say it best in all your makes. Shirts are classic but the details can up their status.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a lace shirt! Especially styled open like the one above

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to that! cut out a black and white gingham checked Grainline Archer shirt over the weekend. Love some of your inspirations especially the Chico's light blue with lace sleeves and the Coldwater creek floral print. Can't wait to see your makes. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, looking forward to your reveal of your latest shirt. Love the inspirational style you featured in this post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful shirts!! I look forward to seeing your creations as I have stored up quite a bit of shutting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the detail on your latest make. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Carolyn, there is nothing prettier than the details of a beautifully done shirt! I love the sneak preview details of your shirt! I've gotten away from them a little but will definitely be adding some back to my sewing queue this year. Looking forward to seeing what you've been sewing up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We miss your posts. Hope you're back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. glad to hear you are feeling better. I too am obsessed with making some shirts. Since I am now "working" daily at Covid vaccination clinics I need to make a few to augment my post covid wardrobe. I just purchased Butterick B6689 which is most like the last picture (blue shirt) and Butterick 6747 that looks just like the Talbots. I am going to use up some scraps (Treasures) from previous makes.
    Stay well. Pegeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails