Saturday, July 17, 2021

Circling my Shirt

I'm always inspired by external things.  Nature, people watching, RTW, designer gear, etc.  I see something and it triggers my creative process.  That's what this white shirt from Lafayette 148 did...

Now it's an inspired by shirt because the idea of decoration on the white shirt intrigued me.  In my mind, I began to consider how I could create that affect on my own.  That's when I turned to the Circular Attachment that's a common attachment on most high end sewing machines.  I, however, love the simplicity of working with it on my Janome 9450QCP.

The Shirt Construction

Supply List ~

Pattern:  MimiG Katie Top

3 yards white cotton/poly broadcloth purchased from Metro Textiles years ago 

10 7/8" flat 2-hole blue buttons from the button stash

Amann Group Isacord 100% polyester ombre thread or a rayon thread of your choice

There are no new garment construction techniques to share about this shirt. It's the same as all of the other Katie's I've made. However, the instructions on how to make the circle design for the shirt are here on the Janome blog. This shirt is one of my Janome Makes as a Janome Maker/Brand Ambassador.


To highlight the blue threads used for the circular decorations, I added blue topstitching to the collar and sleeve hems.  And of course, the blue buttons down the front emphasizes the blue theme - cause you know I do trim in threes!

A few pictures of the finished garment ~






It was interesting to use some of the decorative stitches and the circular attachment to "interpret" a RTW design. It's one of the things I love about top of the line sewing machines, the extra features allow you to easily create any flights of fancy you may have.

One other thing to note - we took these pictures in 100 degree weather and the poly in the shirt was stifling. This is very much an early spring or fall shirt...not the summer shirt I was envisioning. There are some sleeve issues that I believe are caused by my fabric because I didn't have this pulling in any of the other Katies I made.

I am slowly sewing...recently posted my cut pile to IG. I have a few more items to add to it but hopefully another make or two will make it to the blog before the month is over.


...as always more later!




16 comments:

  1. Oh boy do I love a white shirt and this one is wonderful. I love the embroidery design you created and you have me wanting to try the circular attachment now. Inspiring as always, thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanca - you should go for it! It was so fun to make samples and try out different threads. A thoroughly entertaining project.

      Delete
  2. Nice embellishments! You have kept it tasteful, and not gone overboard, always my fear when I start to get “creative” - not knowing when to stop. I think your inspiration garment helped be a guide there.

    Oh boy, keeping scraps is so important to a project. I learned the hard way. Now I keep them in an empty cube of my wall storage rack, along with mending and dying projects and other misc., just until I have completed the garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R - I've learned the hard way to keep scraps and your idea is great too! Thanks for liking the embellishment. It was fun to do!

      Delete
  3. Our machines hold such creative potential. Your blouse is great and I love the inspo as well. It reminds me of the kits you could get back when that had you do the designs with tubes of paint and ball points at the end. Oh, that poly! It does rear its head on these hot and humid days. Will we ever learn? But you have one love shirt to wear here. Great job, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny - I know I sometimes forget the power of all those stitches and creative feet included with our machines. Being a Janome Brand Ambassador is making me look at all the reasons why I love these machines.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely Gorgeous ... sew creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, carolyn--
    i agree with you that the circular embroidery makes the white shirt more interesting. even though i generally prefer that my white shirts just be white, this interpretation is fun and cute. it's a smashing success!--anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - I like plain white shirts too! However, the decoration on this is low level, not very intrusive! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love what you've done

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful and creative interpretation of the inspiration garment. Thank you for sharing about the circular attachment. Also - the backdrop of the photos is really peaceful. g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails