Saturday, July 03, 2021

Half way through Twenty Twenty-One

This post is a compilation of thoughts, updates and follow-ups. 

I have a four day weekend generously offered by my company because we've been working from home for so long. In May I started going back to work regularly in NYC for 2 days a week. Overall my vacation, personal time off, situation has been greatly enhanced by my company due to Pandemic Fatigue.  And while the world is opening, I think we can all admit to Pandemic Fatigue and how it's affected our mental, emotional and physical health.

This weekend I'm sewing in the new and improved Sewing Room.  I've lived in my apartment for 10 months now. I've either been moving in, unpacking, determining how I want to live in this space or recovering from health challenges. It's just starting to feel like "home." I believe all of the above have affected how much I sew. 

What I'm Working on This Weekend ~

Today is a cut day.  I've been pulling fabrics and patterns for the last week and a half trying to determine what I want to make going forward.  Because need is no longer a word I associate with my wardrobe. Due to the pandemic I've been home more and need less of a wardrobe.

I have nine summer/early fall dresses I want to make.

    - Helen's Closet Reynolds Dress (hacked)

    - Christine Haynes Verano Dress (summer version)

    - Cashmerette Roseclair Dress

    - 3 Style Arc patterns

        o Nova Midi Dress

        o Hope Woven Dress

        o Jules Woven Tunic that I'm maxifying (yes I made that word up!)

    - Simplicity 8875

    - McCalls 7969


    - McCalls 7943


I've chosen a variety of fabrics to use - some new to the collection.  A piece holding it down in the collection for 24 years, purchased in 1997. I'm even using a piece given to me from an old work friend that's 17 years old and from her grandmother's stash. Fabric venders are: GStreet, Mood, StyleMaker Fabrics, Fabric dot com, and of course Fabric Mart. LOL!  Always Fabric Mart. I love how my fabric collection has so many back stories to tell as well as reflects my sewing journey.

Pieces Completed Last Month ~

I finished four garments last month with only one making it to the blog.  I was planning on taking pictures of the t-shirt and cardigan but honestly it was too dayum hot the day we chose to take pictures. Those pieces will be up next on the blog on Daphne my dressform. I want to get them shared and move on!

Here's what I made last month...

A Swingy Version of a Pembroke Top

Cardigan from Simplicity 8059

Vogue 9299 in a border print

Outtake of this MimiG Katie Tunic
Love this photo its just very dark and 
the garment's not posted to the blog yet

This Weekend ~

I will be spending the next couple of days altering patterns and cutting them out.  Probably will make 2 or 3 this month, then take 2-3 to Sew Camp (yes, I'm headed to Sew Camp but more about that in a later post), and the rest by the end of the summer.  Which should be about right since I'm averaging 2-3 garments a month now.

Sewn Garment Recap ~

I've sewn 13 pieces this year. I honestly haven't been very motivated to sew.  My sewjo has come fast and furious in spurts...and I've gone along with it. While I have purchased some fabric, it hasn't been enough to track. Whenever I think about purchasing I do remember what it was like to pack and unpack my collection.

Not to say I haven't self-medicated with fabric from time to time.  In fact 17 yards will be showing up this week because last week was a rough week. However, I have plenty of storage space and no desire to overwhelm it.  Though if I sew through my plan, I will have sewn down 33 yards so it works out.

Future Sewing ~

I have a fancy wedding to attend Labor Day weekend and I'm trying to decide if I will have time to make another dress.  Or just wear this one since I've worn it exactly ONCE!

Something in me is pulling for fresh and new which means I will have to shop for fancy fabric. That is one fabric I don't store because you never know what the special event will require.

There are some other ideas floating around in my head but unless I become the sewing maniac I was prior to the move, they're just not gonna happen. Which makes me a little sad because they would be great garments but it's not earthshattering if they wait a little longer to be born!

Finally, when I have pictures of the finished Resource Center, I will share them. I'm looking forward to having it done because it's a lot of space that's not being used right now.

The cardigan and t-shirt information will be up next...


...as always more later!

 

 






14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you always sewn in groups of garments, ie dresses, blouses etc? I've been following you for a long time and I don't recall if you've always sewn this way. It's interesting to me especially since I don't sew or plan that way. It certainly works for you. I love your plans and your ambition. Dresses and summer do go together well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - If you've been following me for years, you will know I didn't start out sewing this way. I've just come to this in the last couple of years. I like batch cutting because I can do it all at once and then I just pull projects as I want to sew. It helps me move my sewing forward.

      Delete
  3. Thats what I need, more storage! Or more time to sew….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for sharing and sewing camp sounds so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. That style arc tiered dress is amazing and in a sunflower print 😍 I really enjoy seeing your plans as they start and play out. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaylen - I do have a lot more sunshiny bright colors this year. Could it be reflective of how dreary 2020 actually was?!

      Delete
  6. OH I love the black dress. You look elegant in it. I would fear outsining the bride in it. But maybe once in awhile, one needs to do tres fancy (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg - no worries. It's a formal event. I need a fancy formal dress.

      Delete
  7. I'm such a novice when it comes to indie patterns. That Nova Midi may get me to fully commit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update. I find organizing our resources can be a two pronged sword. Sometimes feeling and seeing all that fabric just fills our heads with so many ideas that we are all gungho to sew. Then other times a sort of overwhelming feeling of "where do I even start" comes over and the mojo can just slide away. Either way, it will come back. I look forward to the tour of your new space and it's organization.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading the recap! I enjoyed seeing the fabrics you are picking for each pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails