Sunday, April 10, 2022

Altered an Oldie but Goodie

I made this shirt back in April 2017 and if you look closely at the pictures, it's quite large on me.  This was back when I lost 35+ pounds and was still learning how to sew for a slimmer me.

Then

Now

Fast forward 5 years and I've gained back the 35 pounds plus some. But this is not a woe is me post. I love the me that I am right now especially since I'm living through a pandemic, the possibility of WW3, had some health challenges and I'm still standing. 

As you know I'm back to work in my office several days a week.  So I've been going through my shirt collection to see which ones still work for my body now. What I found is that all of the shirts with the back yoke and gathered lower back still fit fine.  It's the sleeves that don't fit. I've been going through choosing which ones to alter and which to donate.

To me this designer inspired shirt just needed new sleeves. I didn't want to lose the lacy effect of the original sleeves so I replaced them with full lace sleeves.  The lace of course came from the vast collection of fabric in the Resource Center. I actually had three pieces to choose from and went with the floral lace because you know stripes and floral lace. I love it when I can update a garment and definitely need to do more of that this year!

After prepping the sleeves, I tried the shirt on and while it fits, I wanted an even more relaxed fit. So I took the time to alter all of the seams on the shirt to give me another 1.5" of room.  I'm glad I reworked the shirt because I'm much happier with it now. It's going into the work garments rotation soon.

A few updated photos...



I have another two shirts that I want to make revisions to also.  They will be done as the spirit moves.  I want to save anything I've already created because so much time and effort went into making them.  Not everything should go into the donation pile, right?!

So do you save, recycle or donate?  Just wondering...


...as always more later!



18 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic! What a great idea, and it looks wonderful on you. I have been know to do a alterations on me-made things to save them from the bin. I have replaced cuffs, taken things in or let them out, put elastic into waistbands at the back-so they snug in better, shortened sleeves, made shorts or capris from favorite pants and even put stretch panels into my dress pants for maternity wear back in the day. You are correct that a lot of work and good fabric goes into our creations, so give them a longer life , I say.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and I really love your thinking, it's better to be happy.

    I will remodel or alter things if I love the fabric. I ate my way into another pants size, and I have a couple of pair that I am loathe to give up as I love the fabrics. I do save the scraps of the beloveds, so I can use them to adjust to fit now. Other pieces I will donate if they pass 'would someone want this' muster. And then some are just all worn out and they go in the Threadcycle pile (after they are cleaned). I feel fortunate that we have a program like this in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new version, even better than the first one. You look well and happy, and that is most important. It's always the sleeves with me, too. I have worked out a few ways of fiddling around to make sleeves bigger, including adding black or plain colour gussets at underarm to get an extra inch or two. If I love it, I'll do the work, if not, off to the donate pile it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's fabulous! I like the full lace sleeves much better, it's a more balanced proportion I think. Good for you reviving a good shirt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the revised shirt, it checks all of the boxes.
    I will do anything to save a garment that I love, but if not it goes to the donate pile.
    The past few months I have reduced my sewing stash by donating (mailing to villages in western Alaska fabrics they could use). It is a win-win. No buying fabric until my next trip to the lower-48.
    Your shirt looks fabulous on you. Thank you, you inspire me to take chances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the updted shirt, very designer. I prefer to alter a lot of my garments when weight changes...I love what I make and it's hard to part with them, but sometimes it's just too much effore

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought of making lace sleeves and they look really good on you. I wish I had your eye for style. I save as long as I can. Now I am in a quandary because I found out that I am narrower on my left side so no one will be able to wear my donated me-made clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fits great and I love those all lace, belled sleeves. Great alteration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your reworked shirt I’d fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am doing this exact thing as a large weight loss rendered most of my wardrobe very baggy. I hate waste of any kind!Your rework actually pleases my eye better than the original garment. And, the bonus is that you reduced your stash a bit, thus fighting FABLE.--Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shirt update! Too bad you have to go back into the office, but that does give you a chance to see your coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the full lace sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luv the shirt! After all these years I've started blogging again,come over ,,& follow my new blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute and love how it turned out and that it's back in the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your updated shirt with the re-worked sleeves is beautiful, and it suits you. Really well done.

    I hate to waste fabric (and effort) too, and I've also outgrown some of my earlier makes. I think your sleeves could also have worked with a strip of lace inserted down the length (middle) to widen them. I've been thinking of doing this to some of my summer shirts as a fashion feature, but also because it makes them cooler when you can get air flow. I'm planning to do the same thing at the side seams (for the same reason) - still deciding whether to just continue the lace up and into the underarm/sleeve seam, or to split the sleeve and put the lace stripe on top.

    Wasn't entirely sure adding lace could work, but yours is beautiful and now I'm inspired to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the refab sleeves. Inspires me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails