Sunday, April 17, 2022

An Easter Fuller Cardigan

Easter is such a tricky day.  Some years it's warm and sunny so that spring dress you picked is perfect to wear.  Some years it's sunny but chilly so you need a little more coverage.  This year Easter was on the chilly side.  Sunny but definitely needing a little coverage to stay warm.

I've been working on this Fuller Cardigan since last year. I cut it out at the same time I cut out this shirtdress in February. Finally finished it last week...in perfect time for Easter.


Some background ~

This was one of those bonded cable knits that were everywhere in 2021. I bought my piece from Fabric Mart. There's still a couple of yards left in the fabric closet for another garment.  

The thing about this fabric is that it doesn't like topstitching or button holes. I learned that from making this cardigan. So when planning this sew, I decided no topstitching, no buttonholes/buttons and everything needed to be hand stitched. I'm happy with those design decisions.



Pattern Alteration & Construction ~

The Fuller Cardigan has two views.  A v-neck longer verson and a high u-neck shorter version. I combined the v-neck with the shorter version to get my cardigan. I wanted a neckline that would accent the neckline of the shirtdress.

I used 11/16" gold snaps instead of buttons on the cardigan front. The snaps were purchased online from Fabric Mart.

The facings were from a navy blue ltwt ponte from the scrap bin.

The sleeve hems were pressed up 5/8" instead of adding cuffs. Navy blue Hug Snug rayon tape was sewn to the hems and they were hand stitched. Chosen because I could hide the stitching in the busy knit.

A clean finish and allowing the fabric and design to shine were what this make was all about.

A Few Photos ~



Conclusion ~

This concludes my winter sewing. I know I still have a dress hanging out waiting for buttons/buttonholes and a hem.  However, I've decided to push it until fall. Spring is here with warmer weather and long sunny days. So I'm looking forward to making & wearing all the spring dresses and tops.


...as always more later!



12 comments:

  1. That looks so good on you. What a pretty color and outfit. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely outfit and you look pretty in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that outfit looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous blue! You look lovely, and the cardigan is a triumph. Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matches your dress beautifully and very pretty color on you. I believe this was the color of the year last year on Pantone. This weekend I noticed it's in all the stores now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny - that might be why there's so much blue in my handsewn wardrobe this year!

      Delete
  6. This turned out so nicely! The V neck is the perfect compliment to the neckline of the dress and the fabrics are a perfect match. it's almost like you planned it that way ;) g

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so pretty! the color is glorious!!!

    It snowed on Easter. sigh. Spring has to come. It has to!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cardigan is such a perfect match for your dress! It's a lovely outfit. Alas, spring isn't coming here soon; we are expecting a couple of inches of snow tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cardigan is perfect with the dress and your design decisions are impeccable. Lovely results!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is soooo sew pretty! You are one talented young lady. I am older than you and when I was in school, we could take what was then called Home Economics. I took it from the 7th grade until the 12th. I learned how to not only cook, but to sew like a pro! I wish they still offered that to girls in school. The things I learned about sewing (I could make anything by 12th grade) are invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color! The whole outfit looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails