Monday, December 19, 2022

Metamorphosis

Once upon a time in the year 2020, back when the plague times first descended upon the world, I came into existence. I was created to hold back some of the horror of the death and disease that was in our midst. In the home times, when we weren't allowed to venture forth, I came into being...

Now two years have passed and the world has moved on so I've evolved too. I've become a fifth of a quartet of makes. But I'm the only one that is birthed from an original Myosotis make. It is my claim to fame.

Here are my components ~

4 yards of pink chambray from Fabric Mart

1 yard of Rifle Paper & Co. from the original dress

12 pink buttons from the original dress

Please note the difference in me versus the other versions are my sleeves which were borrowed from Vogue 9266 and enlarged. Here are a few photos of the process...

Enlarging the sleeves using the Vogue 9299 sleeve pattern

The "Slice & Spread" method

Followed the instructions in this book!

Some other construction photos...

The bodice constructed using the accent fabric for the collar and the sleeve cuffs

I was almost finished when I realized I wanted the contrast print 
to not only be the bodice facing but the skirt facing too.  
This is that facing being applied.

When I FINALLY start adding buttonholes and buttons, I'm almost done!

Otherwise, I'm like my summer companions. Myosotis' who've been created to replace the ones made during the plague or in the before times when hope lived.

A few more shots of me shining...

Originally I put covered buttons on the dress front but 
after criticism by my daughters I removed them...

...and went with my original plan of reusing the original buttons!

One thing my Maker has realized is that not all creations should be donated. Some of them have more life to live and should be lovingly dissembled to bring forth a new garment. 

I am that new garment...

I've worn this dress several times.  Out to dinner with my daughters and to work but I've never gotten a picture of me wearing it. I shared it on the dressform because I really need to clear these 2022 posts out of my queue and make space for 2023.

...as always more later!



10 comments:

  1. Good book 😉. I'm just finishing a class with the author, where we made similar sleeves 😂. But seriously, love the new version, it seems more wearable too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good save and I love it. What a pretty color of pink. At first I thought you used different plastic buttons, I couldn't tell they were covered. I did like the variety down the front. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first dress too, but the new version is really lovely and good for any occasion. I really like the way you used the floral trim, just a bit, and very elegant. Wishing you a very happy Christmas and a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you are beautiful! I wish more of my creations would talk back to me, as they seem to know better than me what they are supposed to be. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so inspiring! I have a dress hanging in my sewing room that also needs a remake, off to plot its rebirth. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you back..I love the metamorphosis! Your posts are always interesting and thought provoking for me and I am encouraged by your flair and creativity. Thank you. Jeane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress and the repurposing of the original dress. Glad you’re enjoying wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun that this post is from the perspective of the fabric! It was like reading those old Dress a Day posts - really fun! Again, this dress is so fun. I did like the covered buttons, but I can see how it could be a bit much. g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ronda Chaney is a fabulous sewing teacher. I had the pleasure of taking many classes with her at Canada College in California a few years back. She continues to teach and has an Instagram under her name.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails