Monday, December 26, 2022

A Floral Rayon Romey

I have a thing for comfort. Gathered full skirt dresses with raglan sleeves work for me and are what drew me to the Sew House Seven Romey Gathered Dress pattern. Not only does this have a full skirt but it also has outside pockets that look to be sewn into the seams of the dress. I love this feature much more than in-seam pockets. I also love that this pattern goes up to a size 34 so accessible to a wide range of sizes. I made mine in a size 26.


I used a bubble crepe purchased from Fabric Mart at least five years ago.  I've been sewing with so much new fabric lately that it felt good to pull this from the shelves.

Construction Notes ~

1. The button loop pattern piece cut out was too fiddly for me. I purchased some small Goody Elastics several years ago to use for loops. I saw this tip on Katherine's blog years ago and have used it ever since. It has a good return and I don't have to fiddle with small pattern pieces. BTW, I'd picked out a button to go on the dress but never got around to adding it...and never missed it!

2. The pattern tells you to flat fell the seams. If I was working with a sheer fabric, I would definitely follow these instructions. However, I didn't see the need to do this with my rayon bubble crepe fabric. Let me state here that I'm not a fan of unnecessary finishing techniques when a simple serger finish will work.

3. Putting the neckband on was fiddly. I followed all of the instructions except the one where you fold it under and stitch down. Instead I clean finished the edge by serging the bias neckline piece. I didn't fold the entire neckline piece under.  I understitched and topstitched it down. I mean everything inside is serge finished so I had no problem with this.

4. The pockets ~ I put those pockets on twice and removed them twice, finally leaving them off. I had two issues.  One I couldn't understand how the directions tell you to put them on. Two I believe the pocket pattern is too small for the larger extended sizes. But mostly, I believe this is a ME problem and not a pattern problem. So whenever I make the next one, I will try adding the pockets again.

5. Maximized ~ the last thing I did when cutting out was add 4" to the hemline to make it a maxidress. Cause you know a midi dress wasn't working for me. I added 4" to the hemline because there wasn't a lengthen shorten line in the body of the pattern. Next time I will add one more inch because I like my maxis a little long.

A Few Pictures ~



I will make this again...probably several times!  I love raglan sleeves and this sleeve has some ooomph. It was the perfect dress for those hot & sultry last days of summer. It also received compliments every time I wore it. I highly recommend this dress pattern. 


...as always more later!



15 comments:

  1. So, I immediately had to look up the pattern to check out the pockets. Your dress is amazing. I don’t like the droop on the pockets. It’s a me issue. The pattern, the fabric. They work. Well done, again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely festive dress... you look like you are ready to have a wonderful time! Now I'm inspired to take another look at the Romey pattern, since I too love raglan sleeves for their comfort and ease of fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It is really gorgeous on you. And I am totally here for your philosophy about finishing techniques. What a great combination of pattern, fabric and you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, sorry, I accidentally commented anonymously. It does look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sew pretty. And looks so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The neckline looks beautiful on you. Glad to hear you will make more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing your make on IG, I had to come here to check out your comments. I need some lounge wear for home. Rome may fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is cute and more importantly looks so comfortable.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought this pattern because of you and now I'm gonna have to make it because of you! Your dress is everything I love in a garment, except pockets - I always want pockets. You have such an eye for pairing fabric and pattern. Love this! g

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely dress, lovely fabric, and you are lovely wearing it. What a fine win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally with you about doing enough finishing for things not to fall apart, but not going crazy with the couture stuff on a summer dress. Some people get so judgemental about serging, but it's an excellent way to do practical sewing. And obviously looks very good 😁

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous love the color on you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it when your blog pops up, Carolyn! When it does, that is. For years I’ve followed all my blogs on Bloglovin on my iPad and I see you still have their link on your blog. But for months now they’ve been nothing but trouble. They’ll go dark for 2 weeks, then be back live for a few days. Lately, I’ll get a feed but nothing links to the blogs. Three days ago, a couple of blog links (including yours) had an ad (and yours was in a foreign language) displayed on the My Feed page instead of the blog content. Do you have any insight? I can’t find any Bloglovin support online for readers. Is there a better blog reader available? Thanks and keep on sewing and blogging! Hope your health continues to get better in the new year.
    Kathy Zachry
    Arkansas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails