Monday, April 17, 2023

A Sunflower Katie

For this make, the panel fabric totally drove the idea. I saw this fabric on Julia Allisson Cost's IG account and I knew I had to have some because...

Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers.  They remind me of my grandmother's garden and the summers I spent on my grandparents farm. BTW, it was my grandmother who taught me how to sew.

The fabrics come from Julia's hand painted art.  Which means the fabrics are different and unusual and that always excites me. 

The Pattern:

When I saw these panels on Julia's site, I knew they would make "the perfect" MimiG Katie shirt.  BTW, this is one of those TNT patterns I revisit over and over again.  I've made several and they're still on rotation in my closet. I love this silhouette because of the ease of wear, comfort factor and how different fabrics can make interesting variations of the pattern.

Pattern Layout:

The front & back pieces were placed directly on the sunflower print so all the other pieces could be pinned around them. I wanted the sunflowers to be the focal point.

The sleeves were cut into two pieces and stitched together because there wasn't a white piece wide enough for the full sleeve.

When I realized the button front bands were sewn on, I made sure the shirt front and the button front pattern pieces were laid side by side on the fabric.  This allowed the print to carry across the front of the shirt which is what I wanted.

The collar was cut from leftover stem pieces because I wanted the print to play well together.  A white collar would look disjointed with the sunflower print button fronts. I ended up having to piece the fabric together to get a full collar.  It works because you don't notice the seaming on the collar piece.

The collar band was cut from a yellow gingham that's been in the fabric collection for years but originally purchased from Fabric Mart. I was going to use this gingham for the collar band, the hem facings and the pockets. BUT the gingham was too bright underneath the white fabric.  

I pivoted by using it only on the collar band. I used a lighter yellow gingham bias binding that I bought during my last Carriage Corner Sew Camp weekend for the hem facing. I love how its barely noticeable on the hemline.

Other Supplies:

I chose a button with a transparent greenish cast because it worked with the variety of colors on the front band.

Construction:

This is a simple sew. Probably why I make it again and again.  The only changes I made was to omit the pockets. I know but I'm just not a pocket girl. Also I used the bias binding mentioned above instead of the hem facings.

One thing to note - I did change the thread to sew the buttonholes on so they would merge into the background instead of stand out.  I wanted nothing to diminish this fabrics beauty.

A Few Pictures:




I referenced this garment in my Threads Interview.  

Where they asked what I was currently working on.  A link to the article is here.  

I have a few more Katie's planned using some very distinctive prints. Sooner or later they will make an appearance here. This make falls into my taking my time, using an amazing fabric to make a distinctive, totally me garment.


...as always more later!

8 comments:

  1. Love the fabric. I also adore sunflowers. The top looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous you look in your Sunflower shirt dress! I also saw this fabric on IG and loved it, but you did the sensible thing and bought it. Well done you, I love it. Great pattern matching down the front: you teach us all how to do things. The touch of yellow gingham is genius, just enough and never too much. And a pieced collar - I will never be afraid to try that now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing how you make things work - I would have never thought to cut the sleeve into 2 pieces or piece the collar to get enough fabric, but I will definitely do that now. Every time you make a Katie, I wish I was a bigger fan of high/low hems because you're garments always make me want to try the pattern. Oh - and the store where we buy the inexpensive gingham bias? It's for sale., not sure what's going to happen to it. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your blouse are one of a kind and fabulous. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Such a great use of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two thoughts: You are so the queen of border prints, oh my! What fun to work on a project that brings the wonderful memories of childhood to the fore while you work on it! It is lovely. Next, congrats on your interview. I enjoyed reading it! I get the Barbies. They were my fantasy sewing for a long time as well. Oh, how I loved to dress them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fabulous in this happy print! I love how you used the green bits for the collar. What a perfect way to welcome spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails