Saturday, April 29, 2023

McCall's 7969 in Black & White

I loved my first one and understand why there are so many versions on Instagram and Pattern Review. I'd always planned to make another one and when I found this black/white floral double border print I knew it would be perfect. Especially since lately I've really been in a fabric manipulation mood.

Materials ~

4 yards of the black & white rayon floral double border print purchased from StyleMaker Fabrics in July 2022 which of course is no longer available.

Cutting Out ~

As you know the most important part of making a border print stand out is how you use it. A double border print presents it's own unique challenges because technically you only have 1/2 of the fabric to use. I will admit that it took some fiddling to make this fabric sing.

I knew that I wanted the front & back bodice pieces to be floral. The sleeves would also be made from the floral print because I wanted the bodice to pop.  Determining how the skirt would work using the border print was the intriguing part. I was thrilled when I settled on using the borders as the sides of the skirt panels.

Construction ~

The only change between this one and the first is the sleeves. I really like the flare sleeves on my first dress. It's airy and easy to wear plus it covers my larger upper arms. However, there are so many sleeves with elastic hems being shown now that it seemed an easy adjustment to make. I added a casing and some 1/2" elastic to make the hem elasticized.

One more thing to note. I didn't adjust the neckline so that it would sit closer to my body. I like wearing a tank top under the dress. Especially since for this one I can use the solid color as a focal point for this very busy print. 

A Few Pictures ~


As of right now I have no plans to make this pattern again...but never say never! *LOL*


...as always more later!






13 comments:

  1. Another winner. You are the master of the border print. And the backdrop of the cherry blossoms (I presume) make for very pretty pictures. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moosiemouse - thank you! I'm lucky. I live in a complex with a variety of trees and open spaces that are well landscaped. Also, my daughter has a great eye for backgrounds when she's photographing my makes.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, that’s some great use of a beautiful border print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of all the versions of McCall's 7969 out there, your border print version is my favourite one. Your version stand out in the best possible way! I like the idea of an elastic casing for the sleeve hem as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graca - it's an amazing pattern so I understand why so many sewists have made it. Thanks for your very kind compliment.

      Delete
  4. Sue KristiansenApril 29, 2023 2:59 PM

    This is brilliant! I love each time you use a border print in a new way, thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is fantastic, I love it. And I could never figure out how to use the double border print fabrics, and now I see how. Might have to sew up one this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth - I hope so! These border prints present unique challenges but the end result is so worth it. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  6. I am always inspired to go search my fabric shelves when you post a jaw dropping border print make! I love this dress, and I really like it as a maxi. You should maybe make a few more ;) g

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin here, your dress is so lovely. The print is well balanced, and you have really made the most of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails