I was reading an article by Nora Ephron and she wrote about things that she wished she had known when she was younger. A few of them I definitely agreed with and wished I had also known earlier in my life. Of course this got me to thinking about sewing challenges...so I have listed below 10 sewing related things I know to be true. You may or may not agree with my list but they are true to me!
1. I will always need to rip something out in the middle of a project...no matter how many times I have used a pattern.
2. Somewhere, someway, somehow, I will make a mistake either in measuring, cutting out the fabric or in my fabric choice...and I will need to make a change and/or be flexible to get a finished garment!
3. That in the middle of sewing a seam I will a. run out of bobbin thread; b. break a needle; c. run out of thread and not have any more on hand in that color!
4. That the minute I purchase a piece of fabric online that I have put off buying - it will be marked down or it will go on sale.
5. That the pattern that I traveled to *fill in the blank of a fabric chain store* to purchase in one of their extraordinary cheap pattern sales will not be in the pattern cabinet! Never fails!
6. That if I don't purchase five yards of a fabric I can guarantee you that is the one piece of fabric that I will then want to make multiple garments from ~ never fails!
7. I will never have the right zipper for a garment in the size or color I need if I don't think about it before I begin to sew the garment!
8. That if I try to sew on a deadline one of two things will happen - I will not get it finished in time or if I do I will hate it! Rare is the garment that works that is made in a hurry!
9. That I can't go one day without thinking about something sewing related.
10. That sewing is like breathing...I must do both to exist!
What sewing things do you know to be true?