Sunday, December 03, 2006

10 Sewing Things I know to be True

I was reading an article by Nora Ephron and she wrote about things that she wished she had known when she was younger. A few of them I definitely agreed with and wished I had also known earlier in my life. Of course this got me to thinking about sewing challenges...so I have listed below 10 sewing related things I know to be true. You may or may not agree with my list but they are true to me!

1. I will always need to rip something out in the middle of a project...no matter how many times I have used a pattern.

2. Somewhere, someway, somehow, I will make a mistake either in measuring, cutting out the fabric or in my fabric choice...and I will need to make a change and/or be flexible to get a finished garment!

3. That in the middle of sewing a seam I will a. run out of bobbin thread; b. break a needle; c. run out of thread and not have any more on hand in that color!

4. That the minute I purchase a piece of fabric online that I have put off buying - it will be marked down or it will go on sale.

5. That the pattern that I traveled to *fill in the blank of a fabric chain store* to purchase in one of their extraordinary cheap pattern sales will not be in the pattern cabinet! Never fails!

6. That if I don't purchase five yards of a fabric I can guarantee you that is the one piece of fabric that I will then want to make multiple garments from ~ never fails!

7. I will never have the right zipper for a garment in the size or color I need if I don't think about it before I begin to sew the garment!

8. That if I try to sew on a deadline one of two things will happen - I will not get it finished in time or if I do I will hate it! Rare is the garment that works that is made in a hurry!

9. That I can't go one day without thinking about something sewing related.

And finally

10. That sewing is like breathing...I must do both to exist!

What sewing things do you know to be true?

8 comments:

  1. If I don't buy that extra 1/8 yard listed on the pattern bag, I will most definitely need to recut a piece and be 4" short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That if I head over to the fabric store "to just run in and grab (fill in the blank)" I will be there for at least an hour, and will forget what I went in for in the first place!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, you nailed each one dead on the head... I can relate to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That every stumbling block makes me more creative in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, I forgot: If you need 4 buttons, they will come 3 on a card. If you need 3 buttons, they will come either 2 or 4 on a card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I'm sewing an outfit for a special event, or a gift for an occasion - it does not matter how soon I start. I will be stitching the last seam as DF waits in the car, usually blowing the horn.
    This of course is directly related to the number 2 and number 3 truths.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That I will never-ever-never make a garment that I am completely satisfied with. I will always have a list of what could have been done better/differently.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails