Monday, August 06, 2007

A Few Photos

Well I promised pictures so here they are:


Okay my daughter and I were fooling around but I really liked this shot! Just to remind you I used Vogue 8209 for the jacket pattern, my TNT pants pattern with a slight alteration and a grey/black/white seersucker from Fabric Mart.

A front view:


And most importantly a back view:



A few construction details:

I loved the opening on the sleeve and the sleeve seaming. However, the next time I make this jacket, I will draft a facing for the sleeve hemline. With a facing this sleeve hem will have a cleaner finish and could be cuffed. Also since there is a seam in the middle of the sleeve the bicep alteration was really easy to make!



I had started construction on the jacket and serged several of the pieces before I was "inspired" to bind all the seams in the jacket. The pattern does not instruct you to do any special finishing details. And I want to be clear that I added binding to the seams, I did not do a Hong Kong finish. A few weeks ago I purchased about 20 yards of a light beige cotton binding from Daytona Trimmings I used this binding to encase the seams and sewed close to the edge of the binding.


Nancy asked about the alteration to the back leg...first a disclaimer...this is the Carolyn Method and not a TNT sewing book alteration. I measured from my waist to just under the curve of my buttocks. Took that measurement and made a mark on my pants pattern from that point on I folded in a 1/4" on my pattern piece to the hem.

Why??? Because the seersucker had a lot of stretch in it and I was concerned that if I made my typical trouser pant that the butt would stretch out. Taking out a 1/4" on back pattern pieces, gave the pants a closer fit. That definitely took some getting use to when wearing them today.

The other thing that I would change on the jacket is that I would add some closures to the jacket. This a great jacket to pose in! But in everyday actual wearing, it blows open in even a slight breeze. Clutching my jacket as I walk to the subway is not my idea of looking cute so the fall version will definitely have buttons on it. I even have some amazing silver buttons that I am thinking about adding to this jacket.

Otherwise this outfit was easy to wear...comfortable...and while I was in line for the salad bar at lunchtime, a woman came up to me and complimented me on the suit! It is a winner!

21 comments:

  1. I really love the photo of you "fooling around" - you have such a gorgeous smile there!

    Thanks for posting the photos of this (and the dress above). It's so much easier to picture them in action like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always wonderful when we get compliments from strangers - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great looking suit and looks fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look really nice in that suit. How exciting to get a compliment on something you created!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great ensemble!!! The suit is very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This suit looks fantastic on you! Love the red dot dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn! You looks fantastic! Love the poses. I can't believe how fast you got that done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn! You looks fantastic! Love the poses. I can't believe how fast you got that done! (oops, posted a comment using the wrong account...sorry about that)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It definitely is a winner! Just beautiful, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both look great - much better on than the hanger. I love the bell shape on that sleeve on the red dress.
    Is your back pantleg cut on the bias, or is that just a function of the way the photo picked up the seersucker?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fabulous. Very good for this awful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allow me to add another compliment. I love the pants suit! Is your TNT trouser pattern one with a front fly zipper and a waistband?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carolyn, you look wonderful in your fabulous suit! I liked your rule of three for the trim on your red polka dot dress. I think that trim is terrific and you look great in the dress. I'm amazed that you got both outfits done in a weekend. Enjoy wearing your suit. You can COUNT ON it getting even hotter than it's been already. 100 degree heat/humidity index in Chicago around 6:30 pm this evening and NY always gets it even hotter. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love seersuckerk and that looks so comfy! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Strike a pose... love the suit... I am an avid fan of Seersucker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carolyn, great photos of you in your seersucker jacket and pants! Really makes me feel cooler. I have this pattern and love the jacket pattern. I made a short version. Really like the idea of seersucker for this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way your binding looks. I've got to try that the next time I do a jacket that I don't want to line. I've been in the serge and sew camp or FFF camp for a while now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails