Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Do you really wanna know how my mind works?


I'm starting with a picture tonight so that you can see what is hanging outside my fabric closet. This is my Coldwater Creek collection so far. Now why is it hanging? So that I can get a visual and turn what I see in my mind's eye into what everyone can see as I go about my day.

In almost all SWAP conversations, the storyboard is emphasized as the starting point. And it's used as a guide for the person sewing the SWAP. I, on the other hand have never used a storyboard. I don't know if its because I need the flexibility so that I can keep the concept fresh in my mind or if its because I can actually "see" the pieces so there is no need for drawings and fabric swatches on a piece of paper. I generally sew SWAP with a list of garments and a few digital pictures to keep track.

So that's what this opening picture is all about...the pieces I've created so far with additional pieces of fabric included to see if they work and if they will take me in the direction that I want to go. Now here is the lovely thing...those pieces will hang there and inspire me until I finish or wear something first! *LOL* No, seriously...the hanging garments inspire me and allow me to "see" where I need to go, if there are any holes in my plan and what garments and/or color schemes need to be added to round the collection out.

After I hung these pieces together, I realized two things...one, that I forgot to hang the brown sueded silk and two that I need a pop of color. I am now contemplating adding a shell from a blue silk crepe fabric that is hanging out in my fabric closet.


Here is where I'm at right now...

The jacket and skirt are finished. I am including the twinset in the collection but there is the possibility that I will shorten the jacket. The brown sueded silk will definitely become the shirt jacket and tank top. I don't know what the print will become but it definitely belongs in this grouping. The tank with the lace is done but I am wondering about its length...I've gotta see it with a few more pieces first to check its versatility and wearability...the TNT lined pants are in progress.

This is how my mind is presently wrapping itself around my collection...all of this is subject to change...

6 comments:

  1. Oh great! I get to be the first one to comment on this post. I love, love, love what you have done here!, and think that it is a good idea. You've shown what is in your mind, and thanks for sharing. I think I remember you saying that you had done three SWAPS, is that right? I haven't done one yet, but I love the idea and think that is is extremely practical. But I can clearly see that displaying your garments and then filling in the holes is a great way to do this. Thanks again for sharing. Girl you are so very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I like the way your mind works! I love the idea of adding a touch of blue to your SWAP group; I love blue and brown together. Hope you don't mind a suggestion. I know that you can't depend on online pictures for matching colors but it looks like your paisley wool challis (planned for McCalls 5555) has enough browns, tans and creams in it to really mix well with the pieces you've made. Would adding pieces from that, as well as your solid silk crepe, pull everything together? I was thinking a solid blue tank and pants and then a two-pieced outfit from the paisley, instead of a dress. The paisley top could then go with the blue tank and pants and all the other pieces would mix, too. That is, of course, if the colors match in real life. Just ramblings from my sewing-deprived mind...

    Sherry in Little Rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good to sew with a SWAP, and being a new sewer it's good for me to keep that in mind. I created a broad a couple of months with an idea of things I want in my wardrobe, and recurring theme transpire of having enough pieces to mix and match. For the me, the days of wearing the same color from head to toe are over and like taking a red jacket and wearing it with a pair of denim trousers is the way to go for me. Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do a SWAP as good as you.. yes! put that brown suede silk up there. Enjoyed your interview and your definition of quality sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'll bet you're the best dressed lady in your office!

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, more food for thought. I'm newly back into sewing and really appreciate the structure and focus of a SWAP. I've even made a storyboard, but I think your method is more practical once work is underway. The storyboard is the jumping off point, but the garments themselves dictate the rest of the pieces, as they are completed. I'm participating in the Timmel SWAP 2008 and have started with my plaid jacket, and will build around that. My storyboard is subject to revision!

    Elle

    P.S. Thanks for your detailed instructions on pre-treating crepe. Claire Shaeffer in one of her books cautioned against the London shrink method, I shall try yours. My dry cleaners wants to charge me $10 per yard, hah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails