Saturday, September 05, 2009

Summer Sewing Recap

It's the beginning of Labor Day weekend here in the States and as I begin my pre-fall sewing, I've decided to take a look back at what I've accomplished this summer.

This was a fun project done with a few of my fellow bloggers. LindsayT, Cidell, Marji and I, all decided to make a straight skirt using a bold graphic print just like the one featured in the June issue of Lucky magazine. Not only did we each end up with a great new trendy item, but it was also fun to sew along together as well as exchange information on fabric, fit and construction tips.

The point of this set of garments was to add some color back into my work wardrobe. It's summer and I wanted outfits that spoke to the fun and colorfulness of the season. These pieces added an intense burst of yellows and greens into my daily life. It set me apart in the sea of black at my job and it added joy to my days! The collection contained two versions of my favorite skirt, and several awesome dresses. The only regret I have about this set is that I didn't get the last dress made...but there's always next summer!

3. Fabric
No look back is complete without a fabric discussion. I took this picture of the fabric pile at the beginning of spring:


And here it is now:


There doesn't seem to be much of a change in the pile does it? Which is amazing to me since I did manage to sew up 30 yards! Yeah I know I have problems but it is what it is... My summer sewing yielded 8 dresses, 4 skirts and 2 jackets, a great knock-off dress, an explosion of color and a new aspect to my closet.

So even though there were several garments that never made it out of 'flat fold status' I'm ready to move on! I'm ready to sew those transitional garments that are worn between the last hot days of summer and those first chilly mornings and cooler afternoons...those are the garments calling my name now!
Those are the garments I'm working on this week...

12 comments:

  1. You made certainly a lot of beautiful things this summer. Looking forward to your transitional garments. Have a great time with your sewing days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the pile is definitely lower and you did sew some wonderful things this summer. Quite a haul in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You accomplished more than most htis summer and the pile is down. I look forward to seeing what you with next.
    Enjoy your sewcation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really did accomplish alot this summer. Can't wait to see the results of your sewing vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say you've had a very productive summer, to say the least. You've gotten more done in one summer than many do in a year.

    Here's to a productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carolyn, I have just met you, following some links from the IBOL search. I love all your projects and although I am more a craft sewer than garment I'll be visiting often to see how the sewcation goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to see what you are sewing this coming week! You accomplished quite a bit during the summer. I am always amazed how much you get done. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that you've done great! After unfolding and folding fabric you know what you have and haven't used! Your doing wonderful! So on top of stimulating the economy... with your new purchases you have also dropped the fabric pile some too! Keep up the good work! For a gal who works full time you get a lot done on the sewing front! Enjoy your sewcation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made a huge dent in your summer fabric pile!! And you made such beautiful things. I am excited to see what you do for the transition period.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are really an inspiration!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have had a very productive summer! Bring on fall....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails