and hemmed the dress...so here is a little fashion show:
Dress with jacket
Jacket open so you can see all the hard work!
5 yards of Italian cotton from Emmaonesock
4 yards of medium weight satin type lining from Metro Textiles
1 22" invisible zipper
yards and yards of bias binding
1/2 yard of interfacing
This is a pretty easy jacket to sew. I, of course, changed a few things.
1. The jacket has three buttons as the closure. I tried this out and I just didn't like the way it looked on me. Tooooo Star Trekish...and while I'm a fan of the show, I don't really want to wear that look to work! So I used just one fabulous button and made the buttonhole on the diagonal to really showcase the button.
2. The entire jacket is underlined with the gray satin lining instead of just adding lining to the sleeves like the pattern suggests. Not only did the lining add weight to the jacket but it made it slide on and off so much easier.
3. I added interfacing to both sides of the collar. I thought that adding interfacing to only one side would make the collar really floppy...and even with my adding it to both sides the collar still flops a little. I used a medium weight fusible interfacing. I contemplated using a stiffer/heavier interfacing but I think the collar would have stood up like a military collar and that was not the look I was going for at all!