As I stated before the fabric is really soft and it definitely needs an underlining to add some firmness and stability to the fabric. So after all of the pattern alterations I basted the front and back pieces together and tried it on to see if the shell would fit and it does.
me wearing shell without any interior structure
Next I added the silk organza underlining to each piece by machine basting it onto the fashion fabric.
I then stitched up the sides and shoulder seams. After that the fusible interfacing was added to the jacket shell at the back hemline, the back neckline and the center front, the neckline & hemline.
Now the pattern instructions tell you to add the facings to the garment, then the sleeves and finally the pockets. I changed this order up. I added the breast pockets first because it was easier to me to add them at this stage then after the facings and sleeves have been added.
I will add the sleeves next. They are cut out and awaiting the silk organza underlining and fusible interfacing at the hem line.
This jacket construction is a process. It's all about layering. As each sewing technique is completed, you layer the next one onto the previous one...and it's laborious. This is not a quick sew and go jacket. I keep telling myself that once this piece is completed, the rest of the garments will just fall into place and before I know it, the collection will be done. That's what I keep telling myself! *LOL*
Here is a bad picture of the jacket as it stands now on Lulu.
I say bad picture because Lulu's back is bigger than mine so it closes funny over her and pulls...plus I think Lulu needs an FBA and I wasn't experiencing that problem...could be that Lulu is perkier and higher than I am now! *LOL* Though it is interesting that this pattern has no darts...
Anyway, I'm back to work tomorrow so the rest of the construction will have to wait for the weekend.
...as always, more later!